Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is certainly one that's been asked before, however the search function is weak and I didn't find it by flipping back a page or two. So bear with me...

What is an inexpensive, legitimate option for a MBR(main battle rifle) that is NOT an AR? At this point in my life a 1300 dollar weapon is completely out of the question, and I'm more worried about my other gear and food preps for the time being. I would like to beef up my fire-power, but like I said I don't want to drop a bundle and what little I do have goes to other gear usually.

Is there a MBR option that I could reasonably expect to purchase for under 1k? An even better way to frame my question would be(without sounding cheap), what is the LEAST amount of money I can spend and still have a weapon that will A. give me reliable home/tactical defense and B. Provide me with a platform for tactical options and upgrades, and C. Not be a total piece of junk?

Thanks and hope to hear some good suggestions.

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
Well technically ARs and AKs are not MBRs. Main Battle Rifle means a full power cartridge like .308 or .30-06. AR and AKs are carbines. So do you want a full power cartridge or an intermediate round? I'm not trying to be a douche, but cartridge power is kind of a starting point. Don't go worrying about "tactical options and upgrades". Most military patterned rifles dont need upgrades.

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
My question is certainly one that's been asked before, however the search function is weak and I didn't find it by flipping back a page or two. So bear with me...

What is an inexpensive, legitimate option for a MBR(main battle rifle) that is NOT an AR? At this point in my life a 1300 dollar weapon is completely out of the question, and I'm more worried about my other gear and food preps for the time being. I would like to beef up my fire-power, but like I said I don't want to drop a bundle and what little I do have goes to other gear usually.

Is there a MBR option that I could reasonably execrate to purchase for under 1k? An even better way to frame my question would be(without sounding cheap), what is the LEAST amount of money I can spend and still have a weapon that will A. give me reliable home/tactical defense and B. Provide me with a platform for tactical options and upgrades, and C. Not be a total piece of junk?

Buy a copy of Boston's Gun Bible.

·
FO
2,057 Posts
Well technically ARs and AKs are not MBRs. Main Battle Rifle means a full power cartridge like .308 or .30-06. AR and AKs are carbines. So do you want a full power cartridge or an intermediate round? I'm not trying to be a douche, but cartridge power is kind of a starting point. Don't go worrying about "tactical options and upgrades". Most military patterned rifles dont need upgrades.
"Well technically", there are MBR's that are ARs / AR variants:

LMT MWS
LaRue OBR and PredatAR
LWRC REPR
POF
AR-10
etc., etc...

BTW, 1300 would be a heck of a deal in that group.

Look at PTR, FAL, CETME, etc. They are right in the 1,000 area for a decent used one, the CETME of course much less.

·
Banned
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd be happy with an intermediate round at an intermediate price, honestly. Don't worry, not taking it as you being a douche...Rifle rounds are my weakest area of knowledge when it comes to firearms.

·
Registered
459 Posts
You can get ARs as cheap as around 600+ or the AKs ar around 500+. You just need to whatch what you get. Just hit some gun shows or gunshops. Walmart even sales bushmasters for 700+.

·
Infraction Collector
2,409 Posts
I have a million guns ,...AR,..AK,...Remmy 870,...bolt guns,....handguns,..you name it.

The one I dont have is a garand. Prolly out of your price range,...but when I think of a MBR,....I think of the garand.

Nowadays though,...I think the world has moved to a carbine as an MBR. So for all practical purposes,..an AR or AK,...... should serve as a MBR. Hell it's good enough for our boys in the armed forces......should be good enough for me.

The ******** seem just fine with an AK as an MBR,..

watch some Afghanistan video,...you'll see FAL's,....SKS,..AK,...AR / m4's,....PPK's,.....all manner of weapons that can serve as MBR's,....kinda hard to pigeon-hole a certain gun.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,754 Posts
There are a lot of sub $1000 choices. You can get into a good AR or AK for that price. Even some AR-10s (.308). I saw a really nice DPMS AR-10 at the last gun show I sold at. The guy was asking $900. It was the short barrel, with free floater handguard and collapsible stock. Kel-Tec's SU-16 is a good gun too and is pretty affordable. I have one in my BOB.

·
المتخلف&
5,508 Posts
Saiga in 7.62 or .308 caliber-----------current best value on the planet. NEW!
Except when you go to buy a couple magazines.....:eek::

I sincerely feel the ptr91 (gi) to be the best total value for the money, when it comes to 7.62 mbrs. The rifle itself is costly, at $899. However, you more than make up for the lower cost of a saiga after you buy a handful of magazines. Like the saiga, it also handles cheap steel cased ammo perfectly and without question. I would think accuracy would be comparable, with the PTR GI perhaps slightly better. Reliability is really pretty equal between the HK and AK platforms, ymmv. $2 factory magazines is a huge selling point for a budget.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Except when you go to buy a couple magazines.....:eek::

I sincerely feel the ptr91 (gi) to be the best total value for the money, when it comes to 7.62 mbrs. The rifle itself is costly, at $899. However, you more than make up for the lower cost of a saiga after you buy a handful of magazines. Like the saiga, it also handles cheap steel cased ammo perfectly and without question. I would think accuracy would be comparable, with the PTR GI perhaps slightly better. $2 factory magazines is a huge selling point for a budget.
I paid .87 cents each for my G3 mags, the steel ones were $1.89 if I recall correctly. I got about 100 or so :eek:

Hard to go wrong with that design.

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
? An even better way to frame my question would be(without sounding cheap), what is the LEAST amount of money I can spend and still have a weapon that will A. give me reliable home/tactical defense and B. Provide me with a platform for tactical options and upgrades, and C. Not be a total piece of junk?

It's not a rifle, but it fits your criteria- 12 GA Mossberg 500. Less than $300.

It's been defending, killing and taking game for decades.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Here is the question I ask everyone who brings up the MBR option, but really doesn't seem to understand, or completely have a plan.

What is this rifle meant for? Again many people like Boston sell a idea without always having all the concepts. Not that he is wrong in the situations he wrote, but hang in there with me.

People ignore the fact that most MBR's are long not very pleasent in CQB(IE your home) enviroments, and many were not designed as sniper rifles. While I love the M1 series, and the G3 series of rifles the weapons were conceptualized to shoot large groups of troops on open terrain and at long distances. Most conflicts even those in the desert are religated to less then 300 meters which falls in the carbine catagory which is far cheaper then a MBR.

Note this isn't to say a MBR wouldn't be handy, but as a primary.... I think many people would be better off with the lighter, more effective in close quarters carbine. I recommend the AK across the board for newer (and even experienced) shooters for its characteristics, and general straight forward no fluff design. It takes a bit more intelligence and work understanding to get a M4/16 to perform (bullets, barrel twist, etc) but they shouldn't be discredited unless you are dealing with price points.

http://www.redsoldier.com/Beyond-The-Firearm-Part-II-DVD.html

This is probably one of the best videos to date on the AK and its use. The one thing many of the anti-russian, anti-ak people miss with videos, and instructors like this comes from a hatred of communism. People neglect to learn from there enemies, or adopt something considered there enemies ideas.

There are so many options that you can't go wrong with, but LEARN YOUR platform and you will be fine.

·
that's like, your opinion
17,825 Posts
I have a million guns ,...AR,..AK,...Remmy 870,...bolt guns,....handguns,..you name it.

The one I dont have is a garand. Prolly out of your price range,...but when I think of a MBR,....I think of the garand.

Nowadays though,...I think the world has moved to a carbine as an MBR. So for all practical purposes,..an AR or AK,...... should serve as a MBR. Hell it's good enough for our boys in the armed forces......should be good enough for me.

The ******** seem just fine with an AK as an MBR,..

watch some Afghanistan video,...you'll see FAL's,....SKS,..AK,...AR / m4's,....PPK's,.....all manner of weapons that can serve as MBR's,....kinda hard to pigeon-hole a certain gun.
should be able to find a decent (shooter) garand for about 800 bucks if you look hard enough... i found one for about 700, stripped and refinished the stock... works great.

·
Infraction Collector
2,409 Posts
should be able to find a decent (shooter) garand for about 800 bucks if you look hard enough... i found one for about 700, stripped and refinished the stock... works great.
I know,...not bad,..but I have a few other items on my short list right now,...one of them is a friggin acog that's gonna run me at least a grand.:D:
\

i need to win the lotto

·
FO
2,057 Posts
People ignore the fact that most MBR's are long not very pleasent in CQB(IE your home) enviroments, and many were not designed as sniper rifles.
CQB?

That's why we have AR/AK/Shottys/Pistols. Not the role of the MBR.

Most conflicts even those in the desert are religated to less then 300 meters which falls in the carbine catagory which is far cheaper then a MBR.
And far less effective. Assuming the target is soft and in the open, yep, a well placed shot from a 5.56 will get it done. Bring obstacles, vehicles, cover, brush, etc., into play, the MBR brings a lot more hate on target. 400-800 meters, it rules.

Then of course the urban environment... the MBR rules again. The 7.62x39 has an advantage here as well (over the 5.56)

Defense positions? Again, MBR. I certainly don't want to hump my MWS for days, but holding a position? The ARs and AKs will get a rest.

Sniper rifle? Not the role of the MBR. Out to 1,000 yards, in good hands, it'll do the job though. Obviously the armed forces of the planet still see a use for the MBR / DMR. Example; the SCAR in 5.56 ... they (US) declined. SCAR in 7.62x51 (308), they will use in it's role. The Brits employ the LMT MWS (love mine) in the designated marksman role, as the smaller calibers just aren't as effective at range. A sub MOA .308 is something you've got to experience, btw. Even I shoot mine 1MOA or better (better, not often!) with surplus ammo.

All that said, if a person can have only one rifle, yup, it should be a AR/AK, etc., etc.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Semi Auto Magazine Fed MBRs (most common)
CETME
FN-FAL
G3 Clone
AR-10
Saiga 7.62x51
M1A

Semi Auto Clip Fed MBR
Garand

Bolt Action MBR (EXCLUDE odd Japanese, French, and Italian rifles)
P14 Eddystone
M1903 A3
Enfield
K98 (or variant)
K31
Nagant 91/30
Nagant M44

Is your sub 1k price point 999.99? Or is it really 499.99 and 'your wife is still going to be pi$$ed' that you spent this much? It makes a HUGE difference as the staring point of most quality built semi auto MBRs is 1k.

First suggestion is to buy USED if you're choosing a semi auto MBR.

Now, choose a caliber. If you're 'on the cheap', be mindful that 30.06 and .308 aren't cheap to feed a semi auto MBR. The .303 British, 8mm Mauser, and 7.5 Swiss aren't cheap period. The only cheap ammo is 7.62x54 corrosive surplus.

Finally, quality tactical options (? I'm assuming you mean optics, mounts, other) AREN'T CHEAP and in most instances cost more than the rifle. Cheap tactical 'do dads' won't hold zero, break, add weight, BUT look cool when the rifle is leaning against the wall. The also aren't that cheap in the long run. You'll be buying more than once and God forbid they fail when you really need them to work.

SO:

1. Be honest with yourself what you can realky spend total for a rifle, tactical $hit, and ammo
2. Pick a caliber
3. Choose semi auto or bolt action
4. Choose rifle
5. Choose optics, mounts, and other

Your cheapest solution is a Nagant 91/30 and 880 rounds of surplus 7.62x54. Total cost will be a 'tad' less than $300.00

Your cheapest semi auto solution is a Century CETME with Leapers claw mount and any NcStar optic that you thing looks cool enough hanging on the top of the CETME. Total cost will be less than $800.00 for rifle, mount, optics, and 200 rounds of 147 grain surplus ammo. BUT, I'll will warn you in advance that you'll need to get educated on the possible defects that are inherent in many of the century CETMEs. Also cheap claw mounts don't holding zero and NcStar optics may have issue holding zero or hold up to recoil. BUT...it will look cool when first put together and racked many times in your living room while secretly yelling 'WOLVERINES' in your head. (I know it was an AK, but...you get the point).

My personal choice, given your budget, would be the Nagant 91/30, Hueber Trigger, 1-4x scout scope w/mount or Mojo Peep sights.

Or

Get something something from Century and 'roll the dice'. Then add some sketchy optic and mounts and a few boxes of ammo.

OR......

save up a little while longer and get a M1A or AR-10 or quality G3 Clone.

If your true goal is to protect and provide food for your family, then a few months of saving and a few hundred more shouldn't really make that much of a difference. If $$$ is ACTUALLY IS AN ISSUE (and there is absolutely nothing wrong with this) then get the Nagant and practice.

Good Luck

(or you could get a Savage 110 package rifle in 30.06 or .308....not a bad option either)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts