Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently, I have everything packed in my bag. I recently changed to a CamelBak BFM, the link below provides a pretty clear picture of the webbing and it placement.

http://www.blackwaterusa.com/btw2004/articles/0816frank.html

I want to the following items more accessbile so I am debating between buying a vest with the attachment already on it or adding appropriate pouches to the bag. The following are the things I want to be able to attach or carry via vest:

M1A mags 6-8
Glock 30 mags 4
Hand-held ham radio
Fixed blade knife
flashlight
Possible others

·
Banned
2,077 Posts
Currently, I have everything packed in my bag. I recently changed to a CamelBak BFM, the link below provides a pretty clear picture of the webbing and it placement.

http://www.blackwaterusa.com/btw2004/articles/0816frank.html

I want to the following items more accessbile so I am debating between buying a vest with the attachment already on it or adding appropriate pouches to the bag. The following are the things I want to be able to attach or carry via vest:

M1A mags 6-8
Glock 30 mags 4
Hand-held ham radio
Fixed blade knife
flashlight
Possible others

If you plan on carrying your rifle then a vest would be the better option, not only will it do what you want and make your mags more accessable but it will distribute the wieght on your body more evenly. Everything in your list above needs to be on a vest including a pouch for some small 10x binoculars, compass,maps and these are just basics, you can add more items as needed.
Good thinkin though, your on the right track.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Be careful with some of the vests out there. Many of the less pricier ones, have pouches that are sewn on. This means you cannot move or adjust any of them. I have one of these vests. While it was cheaper, and pretty much ready to go, I wish I could move a few of the pouches for a better fit. Especially when i'm also wearing a pack, the straps seem to fall right were the pouches are.

You might be better off buying a basic MOLLE vest, then attaching pouches as needed. The cost won't be that much more, plus you'll have a truly "custom" vest for what you need.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mag,

Just to keep things straight here, ar you talking about using only a vest instead of a pack?

Always have my pack with me, for example in my truck if I am @ work. So the vest would be in addition to the pack if depending on the scenario I decided I needed to go and was going to take my rifle. If I were to ever take the rifle I would be leaving my home.

Regarding the vest, do you think an empty vest w/ lots of webbing is better than on with pre-attached pouches,etc. Obviously one w/ pre-attached pouches would have to be set in a manner that suits my needs.

·
Banned
2,077 Posts
Negative, a MOLLE style pouch is the way to go, not a vest with pre-attached pouches like ljh824 said. There are plenty to choose from out there just make sure you decide on a quallity vest as well as pouches. The cheaper vest don't seem to last long, they tend to start coming apart at the seems the harder you use the. Never get rid of the pack, what i was saying was the vest is an excellant addition to your loadout because when you load up the vest with mags and all the other accessories it will even out the load you'd be carrying instead of all that wieght on your back, it also frees up alot of space in your pack for more stuff like food.

Heres mine and I know this is extreme but for visual purposes only it will give you an idea what a loadout for an M1A consists of, remember this is an extreme loadout.

·
free man
626 Posts
.02 more cents. Fwiw, I've used issue web gear and tac vests on 'adventures' and some 25+ years of paintball. The vest is much better when rolling around in the woods all day/night :). I sometimes added a pistol belt for extra's like a buttpack, extra mag pouches, canteen, etc. Or a small pack, Camelbak, etc. All worked fine for all day in the woods deals.

Eagle vest holds either AR or AK mags just as well, plus 3 pistol mags. This one asn't cheap by any means, being $110 back in 92. A bit worn now, but still works dandy. Needs a good washing tho :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts