Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Green Eggs and Spam
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to ADMIT my ignorance, my media inspired lack of knowlege, and accept my lower IQ level.

Without looking at a book (or doing a google), what are the different general rules to the firearms classes?

·
DILIGENTIA VIS CELERITAS
727 Posts
I only know what class 3 means. Full Auto, you need to have a transfer stamp to purchase legally. Class 3 weapons have all been in the country before 1984 and are all registered so if you were to buy one you would need to apply for the transfer of the weapon from the seller to yourself.

·
Green Eggs and Spam
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only know what class 3 means...
HAH! Found a like person!

Thanks for playing!

I hope this post is about finding out about the classes; but really wanted to see how many others knew and or thought the same lines as myself.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I'm going to ADMIT my ignorance, my media inspired lack of knowlege, and accept my lower IQ level.

Without looking at a book (or doing a google), what are the different general rules to the firearms classes?
Class 2 is a manufacturers license. You would have to have one to manufacture class III weapons. (After all, after you manufacture it, you are now in possession of a class III weapon.)

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
I only know what class 3 means. Full Auto, ...
Class III includes several kinds of weapons besides full auto.

Short barreled rifles and shotguns, AOW's (Any Other Weapon), suppressors, off top of my head.
All may be legally owned with some paperwork and $200 to BATF.
Actually, AOW's are only $5.

You can build your own short barreled AR for example, or saw the barrels off your own shotgun, etc. But you need the BATF stamp to do it first.

- OS

·
Firearm Enthusiast
864 Posts
Firearm licenses can be broken down into types and classes. Types are the basic licenses. Most gun dealers are a Type 1 for example.

Type 01 - DEALER IN FIREARMS
Type 02 - PAWNBROKER
Type 03 - COLLECTOR OF CURIOS AND RELICS
Type 06 - MANUFACTURER OF AMMUNITION FOR FIREARMS
Type 07 - MANUFACTURER OF FIREARMS
Type 08 - IMPORTER OF FIREARMS / AMMUNITION
Type 09 - DEALER IN DESTRUCTIVE DEVICES
Type 10 - MANUFACTURER OF DESTRUCTIVE DEVICES
Type 11 - IMPORTER OF DESTRUCTIVE DEVICES

In addition, there are SOTs or classes. These are for dealers who want to play with the cool toys, like machine guns.

Class 1 importer of NFA firearms
Class 2 manufacturer of NFA firearms
Class 3 dealer of NFA firearms

"To get a Class 1 SOT status, you need an importer FFL, which includes Type 8, 11"

"To get a Class 2 SOT status, you need a manufacturer FFL, which includes Type 7, 10"

"To get a Class 3 SOT status, you need a dealer or manufacturer FFL which includes Type 1, 2, 7, 8, 9, 10 or 11"

Information taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Firearms_License and http://www.atf.gov/firearms/fflc/ffl/ffl_types.htm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts