Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
City Survivior
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally went to Walmart and got the buck 119 special I have wanted. Needed to replace bear grylls knife.(don't judge me). Couldn't be happier sheath is spectacular grip is comfortabke and fits my hand beautifully. Nice 420hc steel. Out of the box was shaving Sharp literally. I shaved some ARM hair in the parking lot. Feels light but is stout blade. It is full tang. And was only 39 plus tax. Couldn't be happier and has bucks forever warranty. I will try and get a video review up here if any one is interested.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Buck 119 is a old stand by knife many generations have depended on the quality. I have one my dad had one, just a real bargain and top quality knife with great guaranteem, congradulations.

·
Custom User Title
2,969 Posts
I know that les stroud really liked the buck and used it a lot. I have never used it, but it seems pretty solid and useful.

·
City Survivior
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exactly I have many bucks from 110 to spring assisted folders and love them all highly reccomend it can't count how many people I have seen on this site who have come in contact with buck knives and had nothing but great things to say

·
"Everbody has a plan . .&quot
2,187 Posts
family tradition

I just gave my oldest son a Buck "Special" that I purchased in 1980 ! ! !
It was my primary general purpose sheath knife for camping/survival for 30 years & is still in fine shape. Back then, Bucks came with quality leather sheaths & this one is still in great condition, despite having gotten soaking wet numerous times. I always thought of the "Special" model as a kind of civilain K-Bar. Useful for just about everything, including combat, if needed.

BTY, I also just passed on a Buck 110 "Folding Hunter" to my youngest son. It was purchased in 1979 and it's smoother & sharper than the day I bought it. Again, even the leather sheath has held up wonderfully.

After handing down the trusty 110 to the next generation, I replaced it with a VERY battered Model 112 "Ranger" that I found for free. Being the quality company that it is, Buck was happy to regrind the tip (where the point had been broken off) resharpen & clean it up for something like five dollars.
I suspect it'll last another 30 years as well.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I agree about the quality of Buck knives. I have given every one of my grandchildren a Buck fixed blade. My primary hunting knife is a Buck. I have a Buck 3" bladed folder that I was given 37 years ago. On a fly out hunt in Alaska I managed to drop my fixed blade out of my pack before getting on the plane. It was returned to me when I flew back in. During that hunt I skinned, gutted, and completely cut a bull moose with the folder. It stayed sharp and did an amazing job. I brought home 413 pounds of boned moose meat.

·
City Survivior
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I need to start some kind of fan club or something still have yet to have some one say they don't like buck knives. Every one says they last for year I to have a 110 that was my fathers that's Sharp as ever but every where you look especially here its always ka-bar this and Becker that and and gerber this and blah blah blah hey what ever tickles your boat go for it I can't help bit trust something that's been around Damn near forever. They must be doing something right. Go spread the word my friends. I just think people now a days skip buck cause buck makes outdoors hunting and fishing and work knives and are not as in deep to the tacticool knives that every one like now a day

·
WINNING...humbly
3,704 Posts
I need to start some kind of fan club or something still have yet to have some one say they don't like buck knives.
Great knife but I just don't have any use for it. It's significantly bigger and heavier then what I need a knife for in So Cal for pretty much anything. Most of the time all I need is a Victorinox Swiss Army knife with a saw such as the Trekker.

·
City Survivior
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great knife but I just don't have any use for it. It's significantly bigger and heavier then what I need a knife for in So Cal for pretty much anything. Most of the time all I need is a Victorinox Swiss Army knife with a saw such as the Trekker.
Completely understandable my friend its a big knife but not to big but is fairly light I carry 2 knives a large fixed blade buck 119 and the smaller knife is usually a folder but will soon be a mora and a folding buck in pocket and an axe or saw or both depending

·
Registered
9,789 Posts
I have the buck 119, I use it in conjunction with buck folder and a (very old) Schrade folder for field dressing deer. Good knife, good choice. My only kick is that the handle gets a bit slick if it get wet and thats minor.

·
Beans, Bullets, Bandaids
1,351 Posts
Buck knives are a great value. I still have my 119 that I bought in 1974 with lawn mowing money, as well as my 110 and 112, purchased in 1975. The 119 is a bit more than I need in SO CA, but was perfect in the seventies when I lived in Maine.

Reasonably priced, made in the USA with a forever warranty, whats not to like?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts