Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am from a major city slicker family and I feel I have always been the odd one out as I love shooting, camping, hiking, fishing etc. I am turning 14 in September and have convinced my parents to allow me to buy myself a Ruger 10/22. I expect to go hunting some time in October when I believe small game is the fattest.

Please enlighten me with anything that might be relevant, such as hunting laws (I live in northern Georgia), suggested accessories for the 10/22, where to buy them, what to pack for the trip,what kind of pack to use, small game hunting techniques, etc.

Impart any relevant knowledge that you think will help me
Thank you so much for all your help,
RugerDude

·
33 30 38 20 34 45 56 52
412 Posts
so....you already have a friend who has years of experience in this, that will be going with you right?

·
Freedom Is Not Free
662 Posts
First start by contacting your states wildlife dept. They can be a good starting point for info on hunting season, laws bag limits, public hunting areas, etc. Have you ever taken a hunter education/safety course? This would also be a priority if you've never been hunting. As far as accessories for the 10/22, I'd put a good 4x scope on it and spend time practicing. You don't need to trick it out with a bunch of stuff. Everything you hang on it will just be more weight and something else to break. Once you get your license get out in the woods and just spend some time sitting. Get used to the sounds and such. I see more game and bag more if I'm being quiet.

As far as a pack, keep it simple at first. Don't give in to the temptation to pack for six days if your only going out for and afternoon squirrel hunt. Basic first aid, fire starting tools, poncho for shelter, water, extra food for 24hrs incase you get stuck out in the bush. You'll need a good knife for cleaning and skinng game. a fixed blad or folder no longer than 3-4" is a goood place to start.

Get out and hunt. It's always nice to see someone who did'nt grow up with hunting take up the sport. A buddy of mine from college was in your same situation. Fished as a kid and that was it. He started hunting with me and now he goes more than I do.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Well, I could sit down and type out a LOT of information, but to be honest reading it isn't going to do you much good. My suggestion (and forgive me if you have already) is to sign up for a hunters safety class. In my state you didn't need to until you were 16 but my father had us in there at 13.

Next you should see if you can find a hunt club somewhere near by. It sounds like no one in your family knows much about hunting and although your father/mother someone related should go with you they will be of little help.

Find an adult at the hunt club or through your classes and see if they will go with you and your adult supervisor to mentor you in the joy of hunting.

Look for someone who doesn't talk as much about the last BIG KILL, but rather who speaks more of the respect they have for what the animal provides for both them and their family.
Some of my best hunts were not ones where I returned with the big buck, but rather time spent exploring the world around me.

Good luck and be safe.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so....you already have a friend who has years of experience in this, that will be going with you right?
nope I don't have anyone that has much experience besides my uncle who just shoots at the range.
that's why I'm asking for help

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
are hunter safety courses requires?
whether the are or are not--take them.
has your mom or dad ever taken you to a range?
if not you need ta spend time there before ya go armed and dangerous (ta yerself)
into the woods.
most ranges have people who will hep ya, with marksmanship, safety, even care of your new weapon.

learn respect fer a firearm, learn ta safely use it, and then yer ready ta go huntin--and take a friend
its safety first, last, and always

Reactions: RugerDude

·
Registered
435 Posts
Gergia requires hunter safety courses. I have to go take them and I'm thirty..lol

This website will help. I posted the age requirements page and so just browse through the whole thing to get a feel for it.

http://georgiawildlife.dnr.state.ga.us/content/displaycontent.asp?txtDocument=306

(hope i did that right)

Good luck with your hunt and be safe....also join the georgia group....there should be someone to help ya with more info in there.

·
CHEERS :p
1,946 Posts
all I want to say to you is.....

Kudos for taking the time to get the information and doing your homework on the adventure you are going to be taking.. At 14 alot of young adults would just get the gun and go hunting...

Good job young man

·
I'm keeping my eye on you
2,204 Posts
Kev just posted a good video on how to skin a squirrel which may be helpful when you get to that point. Be safe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts