Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Liberty or Death
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last couple of days I'v been very depresed. And thier is no reson for the depression. I'm not having suisidal thought or hurting myself. So far I'v hid it from my friends and family. Any help is apperiated.

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
Hey Wengo,

Everybody gets depressed--it's part of being human.

Do you have somebody you can talk to about what's bothering you? I'm not a particularly social person myself (I prefer the interwebs), but I'll guarantee you that talking to somebody is a good first step towards feeling better.

A little extra advice: stay away from drugs and alcohol if you're not feeling so positive right now. Lots of people "treat" themselves for depression by drinking, taking oxy, etc. and it never works out for the best.

HippieSurvivalist

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Get off the net and go for a long walk with your pack , wear your self out , eat a good dinner , go to bed early .

Not eating right is what sets me off , so i make sure I eat my fruits every day .

See a doctor , dont mention guns or your toast .

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey Wengo,

Sorry to hear you're feeling depressed. Got some thoughts for you. First of all, I agree with what was said above, that being depressed is a normal part of the spectrum of human emotions. Everybody gets depressed at times. We don't always need a reason. That being said, there usually is a reason, it just may be one we aren't aware of. i think a lot of people who've been paying attention to what's going on nationally and internationally have been feeling depressed and anxious, and I think that's probably a pretty healthy response to the current events. I'd be more worried if the way things were going were making you happy!

Depression becomes a clinical problem when it's been going on for a longer than normal (about one to three weeks or so...although that varies a bit) period of time. The level of severity has to do with how the depression is impacting your daily life. Signs of depression usually have to do with some sort of change in a person's lifestyle.

Common symptoms are:

Changes in: sleep (sleeping more, or sleeping less); appetite (eating more, eating less);energy levels; isolation; ability to concentrate (usually diminished); activities (not enjoying things you usually enjoy); inability to experience pleasure (called anhedonia) negative thoughts in general, negative thoughts about oneself, (feeling hopeless, helpless, worthless, etc.) or thoughts of harming or killing oneself.

If you're feeling that stuff and it's been just a couple of days, I'd agree with some of the advice already given. Exercise helps huge! If you don't work out regularly, try to get out and go for a walk. That's a double bonus cuz it gets you out of the house, and getting out can help. Staying active is important cuz it distracts you, and may help distract you from at least being aware of feeling depressed. When you're aware of feeling depressed, you tend to brood about it, which is..well...depressing. Also, try to get to bed at a regular time...sleep schedule is important in maintaining both energy and serotonin. Try to avoid alcohol...it's a depressant and it impacts your moods. Rent some comedies. Laughing actually boosts the immune system, and it helps offset depression.

I'm wondering why you're trying to hide it from your family. You may have a very good reason, so I'm not criticizing, just wondering. Not sure what your role in the family is (parent or kid) but I'm wondering if there's someone you can talk to about it in the family. They're probably aware that something's bothering you...people can try to hide their moods, but those closest to them usually pick up on the fact that something's wrong. It can help alleviate depression just by letting someone know you're feeling blue. Your family also might be able to help you figure out what's making you feel depressed. If you're a parent, I'd be careful if you talk with the kids about it. If a single parent, it depends on how old the kids are. If you've got a partner, I'd really think about talking with him/her about it. If that's not an option, I'd think about who I COULD talk to. If there isn't anyone you know you're comfortable talking with, try writing out some of your thoughts in a journal. That can make a big difference for some people, depending on their comfort level with writing. Just expressing their thoughts and feelings can make a difference.

Anyway, just some thoughts. If there's really no big reason you can think of behind the depression, it will likely clear up in a couple of days. if it doesn't, you might want to talk to your doctor about it. They'll probably prescribe and antidepressant. I have mixed feelings about that. If they're knowledgable about depression, they'll get you a referral to talk to a counselor or therapist.

Good Luck!:thumb:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Everyone here has added positive advice. Maybe you're experience SAD (seasonal affective disorder). Get out and get some sun. Take vitamins. Start doing a little exercise. Set aside more "you time." It's part of it, and we've all been thru it and will undoubtedly go thru it again for at least a minimal time period. If you're alone a lot then "you time" probably isn't the best bet. Change your diet to include either healthier food or tastey, comfort food if you lack that. Evaluate your job. Let us know if we can help out.

·
awake and aware
591 Posts
When I get depressed what helps me is to set several goals and try no matter what to get them done. Usually they have to do with what might be making me depressed and I have been avoiding them.
Keep your head up and keep moving forward at all costs.

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
this time of year I get depressed somewhat also. I think it has to do with the rain and the mud

Reactions: wengo1776

·
just doin my job..
421 Posts
I can relate to the seasonal thing.. summer doesn't last long here and most of my outdoor activities are during the summer..

find something to do outside or with a friend, maybe find a good project that you could benefit from long term too.. doing some baking while rockin out to some classic rock always makes me feel happy again :) even if its all from a box.. I dont cook any other way!
there are some good ideas that others have posted to..

·
Registered
871 Posts
i get down every now and then if you want to get in a cheerfull mood take some milk jugs fill them with water take a shotgun with heavy birdshot step back a little bit and watch them explode works for me.

·
Liberty or Death
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, I'll try that stuff. It seam that I get deppresed really bad every couple of weaks, for only a couple of days at a time. I'v been hiking every day and it seams to help a little. I'll try to get more rest and eat healthier. Thank you again with the help I really appericate it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Agree with everything that has been said, except maybe for shooting jugs of water. That's more of an anger issue, not a depression issue, although the two are cousins.

For most people depression will pass in time. In the meantime, force yourself to stay occupied with things that are meaningful and (usually) enjoyable to you. Something creative works for me. It occupies my mind, gives me a sense of accomplishing something. Staying active physically, eating right and getting enough sleep are also important. (But don't overdo the sleep part.) If you have relationship issues with someone that contribute to the depression, try and work them out (if it's possible).

Many people are affected by the shortened hours of daylight, often starting in the fall. Take heart in knowing that on December 21 the hours of daylight start lengthening again, even though there is still plenty of winter left.

Good luck.

·
Displaced Texan
501 Posts
keeping busy is essential for fighting a depression. Don't hide from your friends, embrace them. Go see a funny movie- get out of your house for a while. You have lots of folks here that will be thinking of you in prayer. Hope to hear you're feeling better soon my friend.:upsidedown:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I get depressed sometimes, too. Usually, working in my garden takes care of it. I think being out in the sun helps my mood a lot. I have talked to my doctor about it and she says exercise is the best thing you can do to help control feelings of depression. Besides the physical activity of gardening helping, it helps me relax. Also, when I'm outside I usually end up seeing some neighbors and talking to them. Since I don't work anymore I don't see many people and sometimes I think I just need some social interaction. I've been feeling pretty anxious lately about the economy and everything I still need to do to prepare. There are probably a lot of people feeling down now. The weather can affect your mood a lot also. Too many rainy days in a row get to me. Another thing that has bothered me was changing birth control pills, but, I think changing any medication can have an affect on your mood. My doctor was a really good source of information about things that could help. I really hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Do a good deed. Help an elderly neighbor with their yard work or their groceries, mail a nice card to your mom for no other reason than to say thanks, plant a tree, give some clothes that don't fit anymore to a local charity...anything like this. Helping folks in these ways makes me feel like I've done something to improve others lives and always makes me feel better. You get what you give. Sounds trite but it really works, least for me. Hope it will for you as well.

·
Registered
491 Posts
My advice is to let your family and friends know. About three years ago I got really depressed and tried to hide it from everyone. It finally got so bad that all I wanted to do was sleep and I didn't care if I ever woke up.What made it worse was that I didn't have any reason to be depressed.I was ashamed that I felt that way. When I finally let people know , I was shocked to find out how many people had felt the same way at one time or another. It really helped me to talk to others that had been depressed. Just remember that you are not alone. If you need to talk to someone who has been there let me know. I don't know if you are a religious person or not but I will be praying for you.

·
Come quickly Lord
2,049 Posts
Wengo, you look very young so I believe what you are going through is pretty normal for your age. I went through a lot of depression in my teen years and early 20's. Heck, I still sometimes deal with it.

If you are a man of faith, lean on God at this time. I find often times when I get depressed that reading the Psalms helps to lift my mood. They are comforting and most are very positive. Prayer helps as well. I will definitely be praying for you.

I would definitely suggest eating healthy, getting outdoors more, and making yourself spend time with your family and friends. Definitely stay away from drugs and alcohol. Do not go to a doctor unless you have other symptoms besides the depression. A doctor will just put you on anti-depressants. Anti-depressants make a good deal of young people suicidal--it did for me.

Write down those things that you are grateful for and think about those things. Don't dwell on your depression and finding ways to cure it. Think about the positive and force yourself to remain positive.

I'm here for you if you need someone to talk to. Take care :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts