Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the difference between a gp1975, wasr 2, wasr 3, wasr 10, etc.? Which is the better in this list and why? Are any of the Romanian guns worth the money you pay for it? I think most of the "high quality" AK's are way overpriced now. It seems that all of the reasonably priced AK's nowadays are all Romanian. Unfortunately it is only the Romanians that are the ones that are in my price range.

What about the AMD65? Are these any better? It is slightly above my range, and doesn't easily take 30 round mags. So I would have to buy new 20 round mags for it (my SKS takes ak mags, so I already have 30 rounders).

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
Maybe if you didn't try baiting people into answering like a complete ass?

·
Firearm Enthusiast
367 Posts
Personally, I like the TGI AMD-65's. You can use 30 rounders with them, it just takes a little practice to get used to the front grip being there. Plenty of guys do it. They're also one of the lightest and shortest AK's on the market. AMD-65's are even a popular firearm with private military contractors due to their compactness and the ability to easily retrofit them with picatinny rails.

The WASR's have been getting better and better in terms of quality. Many guys swear by their's. I would inspect the particular rifle you want to buy in person before you lay down the cash though. They sometimes suffer from canted sights and canted gas blocks. They are completely functional and decently accurate though.

WASR 10 or WASR 10/63 = 7.62x39
WASR 2 = 5.45x39
WASR 3 = 5.56x45
GP1975 = Variant of the 10 and 10/63, same caliber

EDIT - Some guys have reported trouble with WASR 2's and WASR 3's. Exercise your best judgement. I would stick to the 10/63 if you go with a WASR.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, neat script. But I had already done that. And did it again with your script. But alas, did not find the difference between the models mentioned in my question. That is why I asked here. I did find a page that sort of talked about the different wasr 10's but that was it.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Personally, I like the TGI AMD-65's. You can use 30 rounders with them, it just takes a little practice to get used to the front grip being there. Plenty of guys do it. They're also one of the lightest and shortest AK's on the market. AMD-65's are even a popular firearm with private military contractors due to their compactness and the ability to easily retrofit them with picatinny rails.

The WASR's have been getting better and better in terms of quality. Many guys swear by their's. I would inspect the particular rifle you want to buy in person before you lay down the cash though. They sometimes suffer from canted sights and canted gas blocks. They are completely functional and decently accurate though.

WASR 10 or WASR 10/63 = 7.62x39
WASR 2 = 5.45x39
WASR 3 = 5.56x45
GP1975 = Variant of the 10 and 10/63, same caliber

EDIT - Some guys have reported trouble with WASR 2's and WASR 3's. Exercise your best judgement. I would stick to the 10/63 if you go with a WASR.
AH HA. Thanks. Would anyone happen to know why the wasr's don't have the "dimples" on their receivers and what, if any, difference that make? Does it cause the magazines to be looser in the rifle?

·
"Don't look in the box"
655 Posts
What is the difference between a gp1975, wasr 2, wasr 3, wasr 10, etc.? Which is the better in this list and why? Are any of the Romanian guns worth the money you pay for it? I think most of the "high quality" AK's are way overpriced now. It seems that all of the reasonably priced AK's nowadays are all Romanian. Unfortunately it is only the Romanians that are the ones that are in my price range.

What about the AMD65? Are these any better? It is slightly above my range, and doesn't easily take 30 round mags. So I would have to buy new 20 round mags for it (my SKS takes ak mags, so I already have 30 rounders).
If you do a keyword search at the top of the page for AK-47's, you might be able to catch up on the many discussions about them that have been talked about in the past, I think there might even be a AK-47 discussion group as well!
Just my two cents!

Attachments

·
Firearm Enthusiast
367 Posts
AH HA. Thanks. Would anyone happen to know why the wasr's don't have the "dimples" on their receivers and what, if any, difference that make? Does it cause the magazines to be looser in the rifle?
Make sure you search next time. The dimples mainly serve to strengthen the receiver. Some guys claim that they reduce mag wobble, but the general consensus is that thats not true. How the mag well is cut is the major determining factor there. Mag wobble is present on many AK's, regardless of quality, though.

I dont like the lack of dimples either. If you can't live without them, search Gun Broker for an older SAR-1. Sometimes you can find them for $450-$500 and they have dimples. They're the predecessor to the WASR, with some of the "assault rifle" features missing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.