Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Behind Enemy Lines
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've decided I'm getting one of each. So I was curious of the velocity of each of them. Maverick tried helping me, but I want someone who owns one to help me out.

I've read a bunch of different stuff, but its all different. So I was hoping you guys can help me.

·
Registered
645 Posts

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
Get the 22 first. then get the 410...or a 20. the 20 will take the bunnies and squirrels just like a 410, but will take up to deer if the right ammo is used.

Reactions: Maverick88

·
Registered
645 Posts
Get the 22 first. then get the 410...or a 20. the 20 will take the bunnies and squirrels just like a 410, but will take up to deer if the right ammo is used.
that's what I'm screaming. Come on smallgame, just go for the up grade. There is like zero ammo for the .410 and it's so frikin dinky.

·
Behind Enemy Lines
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it'd be rare if i hunt for deer
i dont know how to skin a deer, and im not going to pay someone to do it for me.

Zero ammo for the .410?
I disagree. I did a search on it, plenty came up.
Went to walmart to get pellets and food..saw quite a few choices as well.

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
Go with the .22. Probably the most common round, can be found in Walmart, sporting good stores, general stores, hardware stores, across the country. They may not always have .410 but I am pretty sure they will have a box of .22 LR.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Get both at once with an over-under combo.

I know it's only single-shot, but I have a Springfield M6 in .22Hornet and .410 under. I think someone else did a .22lr over .410 combo, too. Several years ago, you could get a Rossi single-shot youth rifle from ****'s Sporting Goods with swappable barrels for $100-120

·
Sugar-free
4,184 Posts
I'm still debating. Not sure, yet.
For sure, get the .22 first. Personally, I think a .410 is a waste of your hard-earned money. The .22 will do 90% of what the .410 would do. There isn't enough shot in a .410 to create a dense pattern. Even at close range. The 12 and 20 are much, much better choices. I have a .410 that I hunt squirrel with on occasion. It will take squirrel at close range, but so will a .22. Hitting birds on the wing is next to impossible with a .410, not enough shot......

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hitting birds on the wing is next to impossible with a .410, not enough shot......
No offense, but maybe you're just not a good shot. I've taken plenty of dove at impressive distances with a full / modified side-by-side 410. Back when I was hunting alot, I'd outshoot just about anyone I ran with regardless of what they were carrying... which were all 12s & 20s. Not saying it doesn't take a bit more skill... but it can be done. I wouldn't use a 410 for duck or geese (lol)... but for dove & quail... certainly.

That being said - from a survival perspective - the only shotgun gauge I'd consider would be 12.

·
Sugar-free
4,184 Posts
No offense, but maybe you're just not a good shot. I've taken plenty of dove at impressive distances with a full / modified side-by-side 410. Back when I was hunting alot, I'd outshoot just about anyone I ran with regardless of what they were carrying... which were all 12s & 20s. Not saying it doesn't take a bit more skill... but it can be done. I wouldn't use a 410 for duck or geese (lol)... but for dove & quail... certainly.

That being said - from a survival perspective - the only shotgun gauge I'd consider would be 12.
I am not all that great of a shot with a shotgun. Therefore, I am extremely handicapped with a .410! You would be correct. I have been on hunts with people that have had good luck with the .410, so I know it is theoretically possible to do, but I suspect that the average hunter is like me, able to hit MOST birds with a 12 gauge, and signifigantly less with a .410. That's why I think the 12&20 ga shotguns are far superior. There is nothing they can't do better than a .410.......so for survival, a 12 or a 20.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts