Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I can get a clean Vektor H5 pump action in 5.56mm for cheap. I know the owner well and know for certain that he takes good care of his firearms. I have been waiting for a while now but he is finally ready to sell it. This rifle is in essence a pump action version of the Vektor R4, a licensed copy of the Galil.

Now my question, would this be a good SHTF rifle or should I rather buy a new. 308 bolt action? The reliability box has been ticked, it has decent accuracy, is already silenced and ammo would be plentiful. Would a. 308 be a much better rifle due to a heavier bullet and longer range?

I could still purchase a bolt action later on as I would still have one hunting rifle slot left on my name. I am afraid that I will never get another chance to buy a H5 in my life as these rifles are scarce!

Btw. semi-autos are out of the question for me. Their licenses are extremely difficult to obtain in South Africa and needs to be reapplied for every two years. That is in event that you are lucky enough to get one approved.

Here is a picture of the rifle in question:

·
Awesome
17,062 Posts
you have a lot of big and fairly dangerous animals in south africa and a lot of wide open spaces, i would buy the vektor and see what itd take to convert to semi, not sure if thatd be legal or not but post shtf i doubt youd care.. the political environment there from my understanding is getting pretty unstable and a semi/auto 5.56 rifle would definitely suite you better for that, but the 308 would be a better choice if you were ambushed by a cape buffalo for example..

though for defense against large creatures like that i am not sure i would want a bolt action, the pump will have a higher rate of fire... so for a better all around shtf weapon the vektor may be the better option

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
does the rifle have a disconnector? Im not familiar with that model. If it doesn't i would stick with the pump.

·
Registered
8,313 Posts
If the price is right, go for it. Another SA member here has a Vector LM5. I believe he also has the Dedicated Sport Shooting license.

·
Near The Glow
901 Posts
I second whirlibird. I think people underestimate how fast a pump rifle is, and the point of a "SHTF" rifle is to be able to fulfill multiple roles, not just put out as many rounds as possible in a short amount of time. I think it would be a fine choice, and it's pretty unique (coming from America, that is). I think it would be ideal in .308, but seems like a good rifle nonetheless.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you have a lot of big and fairly dangerous animals in south africa and a lot of wide open spaces, i would buy the vektor and see what itd take to convert to semi, not sure if thatd be legal or not but post shtf i doubt youd care.. the political environment there from my understanding is getting pretty unstable and a semi/auto 5.56 rifle would definitely suite you better for that, but the 308 would be a better choice if you were ambushed by a cape buffalo for example..

though for defense against large creatures like that i am not sure i would want a bolt action, the pump will have a higher rate of fire... so for a better all around shtf weapon the vektor may be the better option
I'm a bit more worried about the dangerous two legged predators roaming around! Luckily where I stay the most dangerous game are warthogs and perhaps a shy leopard. As far is I know conversions have been done without too much effort, so definitely a option post SHTF. However I also believe that in such a scenario R4/5 rifles as well as LM's would become available.

does the rifle have a disconnector? Im not familiar with that model. If it doesn't i would stick with the pump.
Unfortunately it does have a disconnector. I do believe one would be able to remove it.

If the price is right, go for it. Another SA member here has a Vector LM5. I believe he also has the Dedicated Sport Shooting license.
I have decided to go for it. The current owner is selling as he got a LM.

A canned proven rifle and you're questioning the purchase?

While I would certainly prefer a semi auto, I would have no reason to complain about this.
Haha, I believe that I was just looking for confirmation! I am looking at a Roni for my G19. We do not have any legislation regulating them, would it be a waste or would it make for a good short range firearm with better stability than a pistol?

·
Near The Glow
901 Posts
I think a Roni in your area would make a great compact, controllable firearm for situations where the Vektor couldn't come with you. Personally I'd love to get a Mec Tec carbine upper for my 1911 and put a suppressor on it. Somewhat similar to the Roni.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the advice provided, it is much appreciated! I have at last received my licenses on both the Glock and the Vektor. I have also bought a Micro Roni and must admit that I am impressed with it. I would just like to replace the crappy UTG as the dot wander a little bit but that will just have to wait for now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Congrats! Did it take a full year to get the licenses?

I'd be tempted shorten the barrel of that Vektor.
Thank you Drobs! The Glock took about 7 months but I only received the one on the Vektor about 3 weeks ago.

I am actually contemplating shortening the barrel to just in-front of the point where the bipod is attached. I am in a struggle between losing the extra velocity vs improved handling.

·
Registered
8,313 Posts
Looking at google images looks to be possible to mount a red dot:

Is it legal to convert it into a semi-auto or straight pull?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looking at google images looks to be possible to mount a red dot:

Is it legal to convert it into a semi-auto or straight pull?

Luckily I received another dustcover with a rail already mounted. I plan on getting a Red Dot for that one to quickly shift between hunting rifle and a defensive rifle. I still plan on hunting small game like springbuck and warthog together with varmint like jackal etc. so having the option to still use the 3-9x40 Lynx scope would be nice!

I know that it it possible to convert to semi-auto but basically the whole rifle will have to be built over to facilitate the gas system, it would also be illegal. The straight pull however should be perfectly legal, but again same story of the rifle being rebuilt. I believe it would to easier to buy an already existing Vektor LM although they do not exist in a straight pull format. My brother owns an LM 4 and it is a lovely rifle indeed! I would like to go the dedicated status route once I'm able to afford it though. Had my eye on a nice Ruger AR that were on sale a week or two ago.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts