Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty obsessive about keeping my vehicles maintained. I was wondering if others did this as well:

I keep an extra stock of:

-Radiator hoses
-Accessory belts
-Headlight and tail light bulbs
-thermostat
-plugs and wires
-all required fluids and filters
-air filter
-fuses

and I also keep the old belts/hoses, etc that I take off and replace. I always try to choose to do my maintenance before it chooses to do me. That way, I have some used spares as well. Not great for the long-term but will work in a pinch.

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish I were as industrious as you are! I may be able to change my oil...thats about it!
Well I'm not a master mechanic by an stretch. But I am pretty good at trouble-shooting and I have several manuals for my truck and I have had two Tacomas, so I'm pretty familiar with them.

Since my truck gets me back and forth from my job, I feel it is an integral part of my livelihood (although I do not work out of my truck by any means). If I can't get to work, then I can't make money.

·
Ron Paul 2012
658 Posts
Sounds like a good list. A few shop towels to help with the job are always good to, along with a set of jumper cables. If all else fails, AAA is a decent backup. Something else I think is a must too - cell phone charger.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Here is what I keep in my Break down kit

Full set of fluids for entire vehicles.
Full set of bulbs
Full set of fuses and a fuse link
Spare belt’s.
Spare ignition module.
Spark plugs
Spare u-joints.
Radiator leak stop and a generic flexible radiator hose.
Full sized spare tire.
Spare starter solenoid
Spare valve stems
Tire sealant
Tire plugs
road Flairs
Carburetor rebuild kit
Thermostat
Oil filter
Fuel filter
Set of lug nuts

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fat larry,

Good list!

I would like to get a spare set of wheels and tires too. I need to add some of your item to my list!

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like a good list. A few shop towels to help with the job are always good to, along with a set of jumper cables. If all else fails, AAA is a decent backup. Something else I think is a must too - cell phone charger.
Just a thought, but I recently purchased a solar cell phone charger. I think this is awesome. It allows you to recharge your cell phone anywhere.

Just a thought...

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
For my JEEPs I keep extras of almost everything.Water pumps,alternators,brake shoes,master cylinders,wheel cylinders,drums.Even extra full gasket sets for the engines.

·
Libertarian
280 Posts
Wow, some of you guys keep some pretty good kits going, my car kit only has 2 quarts of oil, 1 gallon of coolant, a 2 gallon empty gas can and 2 cans of fix a flat. I also keep warm clothes in the winter and some MRE's.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
To depend well on you vehicle, you need to know how it works and how to fix it. Purchase a decent repair manual for you car. Factory manuals cost around 100-125 dollars, but do alot better job of explaining to beginers how to do the job. It pays for itself after your first brake job.

Buy some basic tools. Nowadays, virtually all cars use metric tools soley. Add some basic pliers, a breaker bar, torx sockets, hammer, ball joint tool, and multimeter. I also have a coverall, gloves, and hat in car.

I own a mildly modifed 4wd vehicle with a front independent suspension. This is what I personally carry around town. I add other items when I offroad with offroading clubs.

Engine:
alternator voltage regulator
(2) spark plugs and spare spark plug wires
spare upper radiator hose
spare heater hose
sepernetine belt and spare belt for engine driven air-compressor
ignition module and spare computer
spare fuel pump
generic gasket material
spare air, oil, and fuel filter
Fluids to fully fill anything on the car
Drivetrain:
Trans pan gasket
universal joints for front and rear driveshafts

Suspension: This is important for anyone with a independent front suspension on a truck like GM's (mines a lightly lifted 2003 ZR2 blazer)
spare leaf spring shackle and bolts
upper and lower ball joint
complete front steering assembly loaded tie rods, center link, idler arm
front brake hose (this one can be adapted to work on rear axle)
Full sized spare tire with steel wheel

When offroading in club:
Spare rear axleshaft
spare front CV shaft and spare inner shaft to make it work for either side
spare wheel bearing
spare front and rear driveshaft

Also, carry tow cables (2) 20' nylon and (1) 100ft steel. I have 2 winches on the truck. I carry a hi-lift jack. http://www.hi-lift.com/hi-lift-jacks/all-cast.html Also, double as winch IF you have cable. I carry some wood incase I have to use the jack in the mud. Also, carry (2) 5 gallon jerry cans and special tools to remove a tire from the rim and stuff to fix a leak.

This is overkill even for the typical person insistant on making sure the car will continue to move, but I over kill my truck for fun. You need knowledge, learn how to repair your car. Atleast carry spare fluids, full sized spare tire, and a good jack. If you have a coolant leak you can't fix or fix well, leave the radiator cap loose after filling it. The coolant system won't pressurize and push coolant out.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Workshop manual
Replacement fluids and oils, engine, gearbox, brake
Fuel , oil ,air filters
Brake and clutch master and slave cylinder kits
Oil seals for: gearbox input & output shafts, diff pinions, wheel bearings/hubs
Halfshafts
Distributor cap
Spark plugs/injectors, condenser, points, rotor arms
Fan & all other belts, speedo cable
Brake and clutch master and slave cylinder kits
Spare wheel, tube puncture kit and tyre levers
Strong tape, exhaust cement, cable ties, silicone sealant, gasket maker
Spare bulbs, fuses, assorted nuts&bolts, hose clamps
Epoxy quickset glue and putty
Hoses
tool kit tailored to your 4x4 Any other special spanners required for your vehicle
Circuit tester

·
Ron Paul 2012
658 Posts
Wow.. some of you guys should just pack an extra car on trailer with some of these lists you've got going. And don't forget the Fix-a-Flat for the trailer tires. :D

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I change my oil every 2,000 miles and the other fluids every 30,000. In my daily driver, I have a quart of oil, gallon of coolant, bulbs, tow strap, mini air compressor, road flares, warm clothing in the winter, a good 4 way lug wrench, work gloves. In my '78 truck, I also have a points style distributor, ignition coil, plug wires, and wiring adaptors to install everything to convert from HEI to the points system in case of an EMP.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Boy I Second all of this maintenance preparations, I normally am pretty good about doing the basic services on my outfits, but the family and I headed out to go Snowshoeing, and the transmission from my F-250 puked all of the fluid out and burned up. Now I have a nice new rebuilt to the tune of about $3400. Wished I would have paid more attention to it beforehand. Thanks everyone for the ideas's, I will be adding many more things to my vehicle preparations from now on.

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
That's cute but where are you going to get your gas when the world ends?

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow.. some of you guys should just pack an extra car on trailer with some of these lists you've got going. And don't forget the Fix-a-Flat for the trailer tires. :D
I don't keep all of that in my truck! I have it in my garage so that I have enough maintenance products to keep my truck going for sometime.

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't understand your scenario, gas is available but NOOOOO parts?
Who said I didn't have barrels of gasoline stored or who said that I haven't converted my BOV into electric and I have solar panels to charge it?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts