Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MELBOURNE: Scientists have discovered that going veggie could be bad for your brain-with those on a meat-free diet six times more likely to suffer brain shrinkage.

Vegans and vegetarians are the most likely to be deficient because the best sources of the vitamin are meat, particularly liver, milk and fish. Vitamin B12 deficiency can also cause anaemia and inflammation of the nervous system. Yeast extracts are one of the few vegetarian foods which provide good levels of the vitamin.

The link was discovered by Oxford University scientists who used memory tests, physical checks and brain scans to examine 107 people between the ages of 61 and 87.

When the volunteers were retested five years later the medics found those with the lowest levels of vitamin B12 were also the most likely to have brain shrinkage. It confirms earlier research showing a link between brain atrophy and low levels of B12.

Brain scans of more than 1,800 people found that people who downed 14 drinks or more a week had 1.6% more brain shrinkage than teetotallers. Women in their seventies were the most at risk.

Beer does less damage than wine according to a study in Alcohol and Alcoholism.

Researchers found that the hippocampus-the part of the brain that stores memories - was 10% smaller in beer drinkers than those who stuck to wine.

And being overweight or obese is linked to brain loss, Swedish researchers discovered. Scans of around 300 women found that those with brain shrink had an average body mass index of 27 And for every one point increase in their BMI the loss rose by 13 to 16%.

·
Displaced Texan
501 Posts
wow, that explains ALOT

seriously. I know staunch vegans who "Never eat anything that had a face"
and I know some that eat a little dairy & fish (salmon, tilapia, haddock, trout, etc)...but never red meat.
Those who indulge in fish & dairy are never prone to forgetfullness. My 100% vegan friends are always scatterbrained and perplexed by nearly everything. It's weird.
Anyone else have this observation?

that first sentiment was not geared toward you spudgunsniper....by the time I finished typing, you had posted.:D:

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Most Vegans had a small brain to begin with.

·
Bratach Bhan Chlann Aoidh
1,366 Posts
I resemble that remark.
I've been a veggie all my life - meat and fish just make me puke, can't help it.
Didn't stunt my growth any - I'm 6'1" and @190lbs.
I'm 45 now and admittedly have a bad memory but that could be due to them taking a tumour out of my head a while back, dunno.
B12 I get from the bottle :)

·
ÐìrtýÐëëdsÐøñëÐìrtÇhëâþ
387 Posts
Humans evolved from Animals to Intelligent beings when we started eating meat proteins...Now some think it's cool to reverse the progress.... And I Love it, More chicken on my plate !

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
I eat steak at least three times a week. And you wonder why I'm a genius.

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
but did the test sample include conservative and liberal vegans?

dont know any conservative vegans - only tree huggin ones

if no conservative vegans were included it is skewed research'

or is it a common trait shared by both?

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,826 Posts
Meat eating idjut here. Plus I have had B12 deficiency.

I do think "meat" is a too wide concept. If I compare bacon with reindeer steak, the ONLY thing that is similar is that it's from an animal. Everything else is different about it. So can you easily replace "meat" with "meat"? There is usually not a great variation in meats, like here you eat pork or chicken, sometimes beef. That's it!

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
Humans evolved from Animals to Intelligent beings when we started eating meat proteins...Now some think it's cool to reverse the progress.... And I Love it, More chicken on my plate !

True. The high protein diet of our ancestors had a direct effect on the increase in brain size and capacity. This is a proven fact.

Of course now some liberal vegetarian will say "the world would be a better place" if we had stayed veggie.

·
Hermit
150 Posts
Noooo, it certainly would not. Vegetarianism has some logical applications, but should never be without purpose.

Chlorella and Spirulina are 70% protein in the form of amino acids and loaded with B12; for those who care.

I used to be vegetarian until I started living in the woods, and I like to drink, so it's a good thing I will never live to be 60.

·
Registered
51 Posts
wow, that explains ALOT

seriously. I know staunch vegans who "Never eat anything that had a face"
and I know some that eat a little dairy & fish (salmon, tilapia, haddock, trout, etc)...but never red meat.
Those who indulge in fish & dairy are never prone to forgetfullness. My 100% vegan friends are always scatterbrained and perplexed by nearly everything. It's weird.
Anyone else have this observation?

that first sentiment was not geared toward you spudgunsniper....by the time I finished typing, you had posted.:D:
My brother converted to vegetarian to please his girlfriend. She couldn't get him to go vegan all the way. But he is in much better health- and has a better vocabulary now. THAT is the part I don't understand. Suddenly, I mean within 4-5 months he is using bigger words. We stare at him sometimes, waiting for the definition. He eats fish and turkey at Thanksgiving and Christmas. No more red meat or ham. So yah- it changes people for sure. But I like bacon and steak man! So if that means I'm dummer or appear to be less educated, then that's fine.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Man If I don't eat meat for a day I get really tired. I had seen a link on stormfront about body types and it was saying how Europeans eat more meat than any one else.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts