Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,558 Posts
Kill two birds with one stone... use gauze pads and triple antibiotic ointment instead in your BOB, you can start fires if you need too or treat wounds...

You can also use cotton balls dipped in paraffin wax, works great, not as messy.

·
Go to guy
661 Posts
I have tried the cotton ball thing and it does work well. A trick that I have taught many others is to take an old toilet paper roll and place dryer lint into it loosely then drip wax into it from a candle. when you need to use it just cut a 1 inch piece or so off the end and light it. It works rather well. The issue that comes in is not weight but in size. For short term it works just fine but for a long term if you plan on constant moving you would have to carry more than a few of them.
Another trick is to cut corigated cardboard into one inch by 4 inch strips. Drip candle wax into the cavity and then fold and tie the cardboard into about 1-2 inch piece and tie it with string. It works great and is smaller then the previous trick.

·
Leave Me Alone
434 Posts
Yeah, the cotton ball and vaseline thing works. I've tried the other fancy stuff too. I just took a baby food jar and filled it with vaseline soaked cotton balls in my bug out bag. It keeps the mess down, and you can dip you finger in the jar for chapped lips or wind burn type stuff. I say just find what works best for you and go for it. For a smaller container in your buttpack for hunting etc. use a pill bottle of prescription bottle. The kind that you can turn the threaded cap upside down works. I also have another one for strike anywhere matches. I duct taped them together. Makes big fire anywhere. :thumb:

·
Registered
141 Posts
FRITO'S burn pretty well too. They don't smell the greatest but the oils in them let them burn for a while!
doing anything but eating frito's is blasphemy

on the note of cotton call fire starter's all we have in the house right now is the brand with baby powder infused or chemically homogenated, it does not light

1 - 15 of 15 Posts