Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
I like memes
5,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed people here discussing gardens being invaded by squirrels,rabbits etc.... I'm sure there are some that have predator problems going after their chickens and the like.

I had a coyote problem years ago. They got a couple of my goats. A relative told me about this site:http://predatorpee.com/.

I bought some wolf urine from them,followed the enclosed directions,and haven't had a coyote problem since. Friends that have problems with other animals have had pretty good luck with these products too.

·
off-grid organic farmer
24,541 Posts
We have eagle and hawk problems, along with fox and weasel. Whenever we have allowed our chickens to free-range they always get eaten within 2 weeks.

This season I have been watching a new beaver lodge that popped up in the previous month. We have always had one lodge in our backyard but now there are two, and they are doing a lot of work on building up dams.

Trapping season is many months away. So I am wondering if there is a smoke-bomb I could use that would deter them.

·
Cave canem
5,391 Posts
My livestock guardian dog security system sprinkles free predator deterring pee along the fenceline several times a day. He also keeps all 2 legged and 4 legged predators out of the fenced yard. There are lots of coyotes living around here, they yip at night and he answers back with "This area is mine, stay out or else", the coyotes understand and leave us alone.

Chickens free ranging in the yard:

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
The two dogs in my avatar picture are old time white english farm dogs and will protect livestock. They were bred to fight other dogs/canines that intrude. In the last wk or so 6 grey squirrels have suddenly died while filching corn from a feeder affixed to an oak in view of my kitchen window. I just move the blinds that came with the air conditioner mounting to the side allowing a 3 x 12 inch view of the oak tree. Tree serves as a backstop for any projectile that passes through a squirrel or happens to miss the squirrel.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The two dogs in my avatar picture are old time white english farm dogs and will protect livestock.
If you do not mind my being nosy, would you tell me the breeder you got these from?

My great-grandfather used to get these in N. Florida in the early 20th Century and my grandfather got them in S. Georgia in the 50s-70s. I remember the Old Southern Whites as having more fire than the American Bulldogs but have not seen a true Southern White Old English Bulldog since the 70s/very early 80s. Seen plenty of ABs though.

Thanks in advance for any info you are willing to share on the breeders! Here in the thread or a PM is fine!

·
Registered
189 Posts
My livestock guardian dog security system sprinkles free predator deterring pee along the fenceline several times a day. He also keeps all 2 legged and 4 legged predators out of the fenced yard. There are lots of coyotes living around here, they yip at night and he answers back with "This area is mine, stay out or else", the coyotes understand and leave us alone.

Chickens free ranging in the yard:
S610, is that an Anatolian Shepherd?

·
Retired Army
5,543 Posts
Up vote. A box of rifle ammo and a day/night standing guard is how I solve predator problems too. Works every time.
Now, in defense of some of our foreign SB members and city limits dwellers, they might not have the luxury of being able to whip out a firearm and take care of business. In those cases Lion Crap may be the "only" option.

And, listen, if Lion Crap is anything at all like regular cat crap it would keep me away.:xeye: ( I hate when I hit cat crap with my lawn tractor tire. Every time it rolls around I get a whiff. YUCK!)

Al

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
If you do not mind my being nosy, would you tell me the breeder you got these from?

My great-grandfather used to get these in N. Florida in the early 20th Century and my grandfather got them in S. Georgia in the 50s-70s. I remember the Old Southern Whites as having more fire than the American Bulldogs but have not seen a true Southern White Old English Bulldog since the 70s/very early 80s. Seen plenty of ABs though.

Thanks in advance for any info you are willing to share on the breeders! Here in the thread or a PM is fine!
These dogs are still found in south georgia. Likely just about gone from florida.
Memphis my all white dog is from Arkabutla Farm Mastiffs http://afmastiffs.weebly.com/ The stock is from Georgia and comes from H. H. Wilkins that is a member of the Carr family that bred the Carr White English variety.
Ginger the one with eye patches we call white english bulldog both in anatomy and behavior. bred by Wall Dogs http://walldogs.weebly.com/ Ginger was a reject from his program because she is not laid back, too friendly and more like a catch dog. Memphis is built like a shepherd's mastiff of old. More restrained in her behavior, but extremely protective and territorial. Modern american bulldogs are much more aggressive and some will even kill livestock. WE have a lot more innate intelligence. Mine when they encounter a water moccasin for example will not attack it and get bitten, but they alert and let everyone know where the snake is. They are supposed to fight to the death in defense of the homestead and are very good with children. They are completely submissive to members of the household.
Real white english dogs are hard to find these days and most that claim to bred them have dogs that have been back crossed to american bulldog or pitbull and we call them old southern whites to distinguish them from white english. Those are primarily intended as hog dogs or catch dogs. This site gives an explanation of the various types alano/mastiff type dogs and where white english figure in to this. http://oweps.weebly.com/the-carr-white-english.html. There is a closed facebook page and you can give me as reference when you try to join if it is needed. https://www.facebook.com/groups/403742913062227/

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I should add to my previous post that the foundation breed for the American bulldog is the white english. There were two major lines of them created in the 1970's. the most numerous was by jd Johnson and his looked to have some english bulldog in them me since that have shorter jaws and a more rounded head that comes from the pug that was infused about 1900 or so into the surviving english bulldogs to better serve the dog show ring. Alan Scott was the other major breeder of the second american bulldog line. Since then there are now multiple lines of american bulldogs.
The blue blood Alapaha bulldog was created by lana lou lane and from what I understand had white english, catahoula, and pitbull in it. She invented a good story for it and called it the original plantation dog which was nonsense. The original plantation dogs were used to run down fugitive slaves and included the cuban blood hounds (mastiff types mixed with some sort of hunting dogs). These were man hunters. They seem to have been bred out of existence. Brits used them to fight upraisings in Jamaica and the french tried to use them in Haiti.
here is a link showing a bloodhound of well over 100 lbs from andersonville prison: https://retrieverman.net/2011/08/02/one-of-the-cuban-bloodhounds-from-the-andersonville-prison/ They call it a cuban blood hound, but I think they are incorrect with that label and it is just a blood hound and we are not talking about the floppy eared blood hounds of today that only track and are normally leased. Think more of uncle tom's cabin type blood hounds.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Now, in defense of some of our foreign SB members and city limits dwellers, they might not have the luxury of being able to whip out a firearm and take care of business. In those cases Lion Crap may be the "only" option.

And, listen, if Lion Crap is anything at all like regular cat crap it would keep me away.:xeye: ( I hate when I hit cat crap with my lawn tractor tire. Every time it rolls around I get a whiff. YUCK!)

Al
I never ever see the crap that the cat puts out. I am sure the two dogs eat it. When I had a chicken I watched the dogs go right behind the bird to quickly eat ever bit of it. So get a bulldog to dispose of cat feces. Of course you must train the dog to not eat the cat.

·
Registered
189 Posts
These dogs are still found in south georgia. Likely just about gone from florida.
Memphis my all white dog is from Arkabutla Farm Mastiffs http://afmastiffs.weebly.com/ The stock is from Georgia and comes from H. H. Wilkins that is a member of the Carr family that bred the Carr White English variety.
Ginger the one with eye patches we call white english bulldog both in anatomy and behavior. bred by Wall Dogs http://walldogs.weebly.com/ Ginger was a reject from his program because she is not laid back, too friendly and more like a catch dog. Memphis is built like a shepherd's mastiff of old. More restrained in her behavior, but extremely protective and territorial. Modern american bulldogs are much more aggressive and some will even kill livestock. WE have a lot more innate intelligence. Mine when they encounter a water moccasin for example will not attack it and get bitten, but they alert and let everyone know where the snake is. They are supposed to fight to the death in defense of the homestead and are very good with children. They are completely submissive to members of the household.
Real white english dogs are hard to find these days and most that claim to bred them have dogs that have been back crossed to american bulldog or pitbull and we call them old southern whites to distinguish them from white english. Those are primarily intended as hog dogs or catch dogs. This site gives an explanation of the various types alano/mastiff type dogs and where white english figure in to this. http://oweps.weebly.com/the-carr-white-english.html. There is a closed facebook page and you can give me as reference when you try to join if it is needed. https://www.facebook.com/groups/403742913062227/
This is good information, and as I said in my PM to you, highly appreciated. I will read all of the links you gave and improve my knowledge in this area!

AB's are nice dogs but for a homestead/farm purpose, I think the WE would be a much better choice. From what you describe above, it sounds like my grandparents had both WE and SW types.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.