Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a collection of firearms and ammunition. I have two rifles that shoot 22lr, one that shoots 5.56/.223, a couple of 9mm pistols, and a 12 ga and 20 ga. I have ammo for all of them.

I have my eye on a 6.5 creedmoor bolt action hunting rifle. As I build my collection, what attention should I pay to duplicity? I think that having more than one way of sending a particular round down range is a good idea. Like, I’ve got several thousand rounds of 5.56/.223 ammo and it would suck if the only rifle I have that’s chambered in that caliber took a ****. Does it make sense to get another 5.56/.223 rifle instead of the 6.5 right now? Or does having multiple platforms make more sense. I guess the thing about SHTF for me is it could happen tomorrow or not in my lifetime, and I’d like to be best prepared. Thanks!

·
Wearing fur underwears...
3,012 Posts
Could stock common wear items rather than a complete rifle. Springs, extractor, firing pin, etc. And depending on how many rounds you have, maybe more items. If the rifle is an AR, maybe a complete bolt carrier group and barrel(s). Depending on rate of fire, and expectations, barrels will wear out eventually.

Maybe as few as 3000 rounds it might not have that gilt edged accuracy, and no longer be 1/4 MOA capable. 6000 could be where it's just not very accurate, but could be pushed to over 10 000 rounds for acceptable battle/hunting accuracy.

·
Awesome
17,223 Posts
I think you'd be better off with a second 5.56 rifle so you have a way to shoot the ammo you stockpile should anything happen to the first 5.56 rifle. There's nothing on this continent 5.56 won't kill, and it's always going to be one of the cheapest ammo available. Redundancy and backups for whatever you have standardized for is better than diversifying into a new caliber that isn't going to be very inexpensive or easy to find meaning you're probably never going to have nearly as much of a stockpile, and every round of that you buy you could buy 2-4 more 5.56 rounds.

·
Registered
12,878 Posts
Yes, unless you live in a jungle or a deep bushy forest, get a long range rifle.
However...maybe not 6.5. I’m sure it will come back, but right now, it’s almost unobtainable. Unless the rifle comes with ammo...don’t bother.

Look around your AO, find what ammo is there, and buy a gun that fits.

If there isn’t any ammo, maybe build a long barreled AR upper, or find a long barreled .223 bolt gun, and start the process of finding heavy bullet ammo. I can get heavy reloading bullets in my AO for basically the normal price. Of course, the ammo isn’t there, nor are primers or powder, so if you don’t have components, you won’t be loading it, but at least you’ll be able to shoot your stock piled ammo with it until you find some.

·
Registered
9,783 Posts
Follow your interests...If it is big game hunting then get a suitable rifle for big game hunting. If military calibers interest you, then perhaps a Garand, AK, M1A1, or 30 carbine would be more in line with your interests.

The big expense with firearms is ammo, you'll probably shoot several times the cost of the firearm in ammo before you even begin to encounter any wear or breakage.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I am building a collection of firearms and ammunition. I have two rifles that shoot 22lr, one that shoots 5.56/.223, a couple of 9mm pistols, and a 12 ga and 20 ga. I have ammo for all of them.

I have my eye on a 6.5 creedmoor bolt action hunting rifle. As I build my collection, what attention should I pay to duplicity? I think that having more than one way of sending a particular round down range is a good idea. Like, I’ve got several thousand rounds of 5.56/.223 ammo and it would suck if the only rifle I have that’s chambered in that caliber took a ****. Does it make sense to get another 5.56/.223 rifle instead of the 6.5 right now? Or does having multiple platforms make more sense. I guess the thing about SHTF for me is it could happen tomorrow or not in my lifetime, and I’d like to be best prepared. Thanks!
Your collection sounds super and this new prospective firearm sounds okay. A bunch of the guys at the range rip on that particular round all the time so it must be good lol

Sometimes it's good to stock a little pile of SKSs or AKs. Never know who's going to end up by your side. They might need a rifle. Two or three is great for this.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
first, never post what you own, you don't know who is taking notes. My thoughts which of value to only me are that one should have at least 1 22lr. A shotgun, and a centerfire rifle. A hand gun is great when you have the first three bases covered. for a shotgun a 12 or 20 will do all the work it is normally requested to do. As for a centerfire? Look at what your are going to do with it and how often you will shoot it. My personal feeling is the a centerfire is for hunting/food procurement. I am not an arm chair warrior so I don't need an AR or AK. As far as the round you choose, look at the local store and see what ammo is available. I have a 6.5X57 rifle. Great rifle, shoots flat and is accurate. in a time of chaos it would be a poor choice. Where is one going to get ammo? Same with a 7X30 waters. Asking the people on the board is not a good thing to do as we each will give you our favorite round and some do not know the difference between caliber and round.

·
Registered
12,878 Posts
It doesn’t matter if they take notes, 80% (internet stat) of what we buy left a paper trail, and when it comes down to it, they’ll be searching your house because you were turned in by a leftist, not because they are reading a list.

·
Space Force Recruit
1,629 Posts
A 75gr .223 load will down a good sized deer. It’s not legal in most states but it’s an option after SHTF. Your 12 and 20 gauge will work fine too.

I typically have multiple copies of my fighting rifles or close approximations of them, one for my bedroom, one for my kit, and then spares. I also have spare parts too. Post-SHTF usefulness of a bolt action dwindles IMO as legality of hunting with a semi-auto is a non-issue and there’s plenty of semi-auto rifles in 6.5 creedmore that will maintain a very good level of accuracy.

My suggestion is to get a 6.5 Creedmore AR-10 instead of a bolt action if you really want to branch out to a new cartridge. Aero Precision makes a good one that won’t break the bank. If you decide to get something in 5.56 or .223 that is also a good option.

·
Registered
294 Posts
To my way of thinking you have 4 of the 5 categories covered, the 5th being that larger caliber, more powerful, at longer range rifle.
"Might" not be needed if you live somewhere the game doesn't get bigger than deer and hogs, the ranges aren't far, and you don't think you'll need to punch through much of an obstacle or "turn cover into concealment" for whatever it is you're shooting at.

·
Registered
955 Posts
To my way of thinking you have 4 of the 5 categories covered, the 5th being that larger caliber, more powerful, at longer range rifle.
"Might" not be needed if you live somewhere the game doesn't get bigger than deer and hogs, the ranges aren't far, and you don't think you'll need to punch through much of an obstacle or "turn cover into concealment" for whatever it is you're shooting at.
I was thinking similar. Ad a 308 or 30-06 to the pile and call it good. Maybe tack on a 357 revolver if you swing that way.

·
What hell, pay attention
8,303 Posts
I think Id focus on duplicates of what you have, as far as the AR and the 9mm handgun you favor. That, and make sure you have the accessories covered too, mags, red dots, etc, a way to carry and keep your mags handy, discret cases, holsters, whatever. The gun is just one part of the whole package, and accessories can add up quickly, especially if youre buying decent stuff.

Once you have that squared away, then move onto something different.

You dont need anything really fancy to hunt with. Walmart has plenty of workable guns.

If youre not already a long range shooter, and dont plan on putting in the time and effort to get reasonably good at it (it takes some time, effort and money), I wouldnt waste a lot of money on something like that. The gun, assuming youre investing in good stuff, is a start, but its only the start.

I wouldnt waste a lot of money stocking up on a bunch of spare parts either. Do some research on what might be an issue for what you have, and get something to cover what "might" be an issue. I say might, because Ive really only had issues with one or two heavily used guns with high round counts. Most people dont shoot what they have enough to actually start to wear things out.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Buy as many guns as you want and can afford. That said, consider a 9mm rifle like a Ruger PC9 or an upper for 9mm.

·
Awesome
17,223 Posts
My only issue with when it comes to using as many common accessories and parts as you can for 5.56 rifles is that when it comes to magazines, it's easy to standardize AR-15 mags, especially when the rifles people are likely building a personal standard around are AR-15s. The problem is, AR-15 magazines are actually of a rather poor design when compared to other options that unfortunately won't be compatible with AR-15 rifles. I think everyone is faced with the decision of whether to stockpile what is common and inexpensive, or what performs better, but may cost more, and whether or not that more common and inexpensive options are good enough for what you need them for, even if they aren't ideal for every situation.

Unfortunately, most of us are not in a "money is no object" situation, so value comes in to play, and outside of 5.56 and 7.62x39, nothing comes close to either one in value.

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
13,881 Posts
I am building a collection of firearms and ammunition.
If you're building a collection.......get both!

Problem solved

While I prefer something with a little more oomph than the CM, there's no laws or rules when it comes to limits on guns or ammo

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I have a few different calibers but stock mostly
22lr 22250 308 357 45 auto 45 colt 45/70
I have a few different weapons for each caliber.

·
Registered
108 Posts
As stated above, you can get a decent hunting rifle at Walmart or a big box store. Personally, I would recommend .308 or .30-06. Ammo for any firearm is difficult to come by right now, but these are fairly common rounds. I like bolt action. Get a good scope.

The 6.5 CM shoots straight and has less wind resistance than .308. Supposedly, it is a good 1000 yd round. I added a 6.5 CM upper for my AR-10, but haven’t taken it to a range with more than 100 yards. I know that people hunt with it, but I have not. 6.5 CM ammo is more expensive than 308 or 30-06.

I enjoy shooting, but it can be an expensive hobby. I started with a fairly common list (e.g., .22LR, 9mm, 5.56, .308, and 12 ga.). I had thought that I wanted firearms is the same calibers as our military and police carry. I added .45 ACP and .40 S&W to the pistols as I saw them around. Then, I added a few more rifle calibers just for fun. I may pick up an AK at some point along with a many others on my wish list.

My wife recently came to me and told me I needed to stop buying ammo because I was out of room. That made me nervous, because though I am good with most of the calibers, I am very short on three of them. I mean, how can I face the end of the world if I only have a few boxes of X.

Here is where the problem lies with our plans: ammo and firearms are heavy and take up space. Are you planning to be mobile or static? If static, you are probably not going to be engaging in lots of fire fights, and hunting does not require lots of ammo to make meat. If roaming, you will find that you do not want all of that weight and cannot give up the space for all of the rifles, pistols, shotguns and ammo. A rifle weighs about as much as a day’s water supply if not more. If you have more people, you can distribute the different weapons and ammo, but the 1000’s of rounds that you collected will not be carried.

Just something to keep in mind.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts