Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Bubble Head Nuke
152 Posts
I have a Food Saver brand that I bought at SAM's Club. Been using it for about 5 years and have done about 6 deer a year and lots of vegetables and bulk foods in that time. It works well. Also have a couple of canisters for storage with it and a marinade container that work well. Easy to clean and keeps on going.

·
workin on it......
1,110 Posts
same here. foodsaver only because it was a package deal at Sam's for a very reasonable price years ago. works like a trooper. love the fact that I can also vacuum seal my mason jars of dried foods

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
11,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, I have heard that the newest Food Saver that Sam's sells doesn't work very well as it wastes bags. I heard the one they sold a few years ago was much better.

·
I have control issues
7,112 Posts
I use a FoodSaver "GameSaver Pro" that I bought as "factory reconditioned" several years ago. I use it ALL the time...sealing meats for the freezer, flour, sugar, dried beans, boxes of pasta, instant potatoes...pretty much anything that ISN'T in cans or jars that goes into my storage room, so that I can keep bugs/moisture out. I haven't used the bags since I used up the ones that came as part of the package. I just buy the rolls, and custom-make my bags to the size I need.

·
I have control issues
7,112 Posts
I have found 3 main causes for my bags losing their seal

1. There was a "wrinkle" in the bag when sealed...this is the cause of about 95% of my bag "failures".

2. Something I sealed had a sharp point and punctured the bag (3% at one point, but falling as I've learned to anticipate and correct the issue)

3. One or the other of the stupid CATS punctured the bag with a claw while trying to jump up on my storage shelves. (the remaining "bag failures")

I don't have as many problems with cause number 1 anymore, because I try to be really careful about avoiding wrinkles. This can be done by allowing a little extra length in the bag (if there is too much bulk too close to the end you are trying to seal, you WILL get a wrinkle), and DOUBLE SEALING BOTH ENDS. Seal, then move the bag a fraction, then seal again.

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
My biggest problem is too much moisture in the bag.....as the very last bit of air is sucked out, it sucks moisture into the heat strip area and it doesn't seal well.......so now, any meat, I pat very dry. Otherwise, I only seal dry items. Soups and stews are not good.

·
Consent Withdrawn!
2,020 Posts
FoodSaver V3420 upright.

I have trouble getting it to activate. It seems that I can't hit the sensors when I slide the bag in. Luckily, my wife has mercy on me. She can nail it every time.

The bags are so expensive! There's got to be a cheaper alternative, but I haven't found it yet.

I've tried ziploc freezer bags, but the heating element just melts them.

On another thread, someone showed how to reuse coffee bags (They're mylar) and dorito bags. But this is not really viable in volume usage.

·
Super Duper Moderator. I'm helping!
9,780 Posts
My biggest problem is too much moisture in the bag.....as the very last bit of air is sucked out, it sucks moisture into the heat strip area and it doesn't seal well.......so now, any meat, I pat very dry. Otherwise, I only seal dry items. Soups and stews are not good.
Try setting the meat in the freezer for an hour or so before sealing. Same with soups and stews, only freeze them all the way before sealing.

This is helpful in a couple of ways. First you don't suck moisture into the sealer and two you can manipulate the shape of what you are sealing so that it packs in the freezer better.

Hope this helps -- it has worked great for me.

·
Mom Walton
1,390 Posts
I just bought a new Food Saver on E-bay. It is a 2010 model Gamesaver Turbo Plus. I got it for $229.00 with free shipping. Most other sites had it for $299.00 +shipping, so I got a good deal.

I researched customer reviews on the different models and brands for weeks. It looks like the 2010 models have addressed some of the old complaints, like moisture being hard to clean out. This new model has a removable moisture tray. It also works faster than the old units in the reviews do, and does more bags before needing to be cooled down.

I have done nearly 90 bags, (from rolls,) and each one sealed properly. I have not had it long enough to see if the bags will keep their seal in the long term. I only sealed a few bags myself, because my children, (age 10 and up,) were having too much fun with it. :)

I am sealing meal size quantities and placing them storage tubs.

I did my previous storage in 5 gal buckets with the dry ice method back in the mid 1990s. I still have beans and rice I am opening and using. It is as fresh as the day I bought it. I do not have a supply of dry ice this time, so I hope this vacuum packing does as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.