Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New poster here, been lurking for a little while. Quick question concerning using 02 obsorbers/vacuum sealing, haven't seen this addressed. If I am able to use a vacuum sealer to vacuum seal a mylar bag, would I still need to use an 02 absorber in the bag? I am thinking so, since no matter what I am sealing(thinking grains) would still have small spacing between them, correct? Thanks in anvance.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I vacuum seal 1lb rice bags with 02 absorbers, then put them into the mylar. I use a cloths iron to seal most of the mylar except a small corner that I put into the sealer and seal. Once sealed, I run the iron over that spot since the mylar looks like it gets wrinkles and it being thicker then the food bags, I am afraid it wont stay sealed.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,428 Posts
Silverfox,

Welcome to the forum.

To answer your question, I vacuum seal as many of my dry preps as possible. I still add an Oxygen absorber to eliinate any and all oxygen. Bugs need oxygen and get anything to kill prevent them.

Just added insurance. I don't want to open up a bag during an event and find bugs.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I vacuum seal 1lb rice bags with 02 absorbers, then put them into the mylar. I use a cloths iron to seal most of the mylar except a small corner that I put into the sealer and seal. Once sealed, I run the iron over that spot since the mylar looks like it gets wrinkles and it being thicker then the food bags, I am afraid it wont stay sealed.
I would say go ahead and toss in a few O2 and even moisture absorbers. My roommate in college was a Geophysics/Math double major (yeah he when on to make a bazillion for Exxon) But he once told me that even dry beach sand has a 99% moisture content.

So I imagine rice or wheat would have much more too. Just a thought.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,116 Posts
New poster here, been lurking for a little while. Quick question concerning using 02 obsorbers/vacuum sealing, haven't seen this addressed. If I am able to use a vacuum sealer to vacuum seal a mylar bag, would I still need to use an 02 absorber in the bag? I am thinking so, since no matter what I am sealing(thinking grains) would still have small spacing between them, correct? Thanks in anvance.
Vacuum sealing will leave in some O2 alright. Whereas an O2 absorber reduces it down to a fraction of a percent. You can't use an O2 absorber AND vacuum seal though. The absorber can't work properly in a vacuum. This is from the manufacturer.

·
248 Posts
I would say go ahead and toss in a few O2 and even moisture absorbers. My roommate in college was a Geophysics/Math double major (yeah he when on to make a bazillion for Exxon) But he once told me that even dry beach sand has a 99% moisture content.

So I imagine rice or wheat would have much more too. Just a thought.
You need to be careful about using O2 absorbers and desiccants together. The desiccant can chemically inhibit the action of the O2 absorber. If you do feel the need to use both the manufacturers recomend separating them as far as possible. For instance put the desicant at the bottom of the mylar/bucket and the O2 absorber at the top.

I hadn't heard that vacum sealing also inhibits the O2 absorbers but you don't need it anyway. Instead of buying a vacum sealer just add the right amount of O2 absorbers or even a bit more than necessary. It'll pull it's own vacum and leave just the nitrogen from the air. Bugs will die.

gk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts