Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently was cleaning out some old boxes and found a lot of vacuum seal bags that I had bought a few years ago. I am thinking about buying some rice and dried beans and vacuum sealing them in the bags in the proportion for one meal sizes for my family, that way just cut open a bag and not have to open and shut one big bag. I have a case of these things so I won't run out anytime soon. If I threw in an oxygen and desiccant pack, would they be fine touching the stock? I know beef jerky has them but I didn't know if there is a certain type of bag they need to be in. The desiccant bags that I get are the tyvek wrapped kind. What kind of shelf life would be expected doing this?

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,439 Posts
I recently was cleaning out some old boxes and found a lot of vacuum seal bags that I had bought a few years ago. I am thinking about buying some rice and dried beans and vacuum sealing them in the bags in the proportion for one meal sizes for my family, that way just cut open a bag and not have to open and shut one big bag. I have a case of these things so I won't run out anytime soon. If I threw in an oxygen and desiccant pack, would they be fine touching the stock? I know beef jerky has them but I didn't know if there is a certain type of bag they need to be in. The desiccant bags that I get are the tyvek wrapped kind. What kind of shelf life would be expected doing this?
Vacuum bags can start to leak air after a few years. Mylar bags tend to last longer. Mylar with O2 absorbers are a better long term option than vacuum sealing anyway. The O2 absorbers remove more O2 than vacuuming does.

BTW, vacuum sealing and O2 absorbers aren't compatible. O2 absorbers and dessicants aren't compatible either. Use one or the other.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Vacuum bags can start to leak air after a few years. Mylar bags tend to last longer. Mylar with O2 absorbers are a better long term option than vacuum sealing anyway. The O2 absorbers remove more O2 than vacuuming does.

BTW, vacuum sealing and O2 absorbers aren't compatible. O2 absorbers and dessicants aren't compatible either. Use one or the other.
I somewhat disagree that you cannot use o2 absorbers and desiccants together. If you are storing 5 gal buckets with mylar, the desiccants can be added to the bottom of the bucket and the o2 absorbers to the top, and you will not have any problems. The o2 absorbers need some moisture to work, but if you cover your desiccants, you can still use both. The only time I have had trouble with this combination is when I tried to use both with a partial bucket of popcorn. There was just not enough moisture to get the o2 absorbers going. Most of the time there will be.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts