Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across this site today and wondered if anyone had experience using these types of bags with their FoodSaver? Looks like a good price.
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/foo...ckaging-bags-8-x-11-5-100-pk/120VBM08115.html

I'd like to pull the trigger on some, but want to know if anyone here has used them. There's one review on the site that mentions the Foodsaver but I trust first hand knowledge here.
thanks

·
Registered
288 Posts
The add says for use with external strip vaccum sealers. I dont believe a foodsaver uses an external strip. At least mine doesnt.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, the ad says "These FoodFresh vacuum packaging bags seal out air, seal in freshness & prevent freezer burn. These heavy-duty bags are 4- mil thick and maybe frozen, refrigerated, microwaved or boiled. These vacuum packaging bags work with external vacuum packaging machines like MagicVac, Tilia, Rival, Kenmore, Foodsaver, and Black & Decker. "

I think that's to differentiate them from the bags for the "chamber vacuum sealers" like the one shown here: http://www.webstaurantstore.com/ary...ing-machine-10-seal-bar-110v/120VMASVP10.html

The ones they list as "external vacuum strip sealers" on their website look a lot like industrial versions of the FoodSaver and their the ones that are compatible with these bags. Like this: http://www.webstaurantstore.com/vacmaster-pro-130-external-vacuum-strip-sealer/120VMA130.html

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,429 Posts
I use http://dehydrate2store.com/ as a dehydrating resource. On her blog she mentions it's not the sealer, but the bags that are key to a good seal. 3 mil or thicker. Food Saver bag material sucks. I have a hard time getting a long lasting seal.

http://dehydrate2store.com/blog/index.php?post/2009/08/12/EMERGENCY-MUST-READ!!

See comment #9

So far everything is going into mylar and I use the method below.

#2 takes some practice, but works best for me. I think the poster of these vids is a forum member.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys are gonna make me take one for the team and be the guinea pig.

The description says these are 4 mil thick.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, I placed an order. If they turn out to suck I'm gonna blame all you folks.:D:

I'll post a report, good or bad, when I get them.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the bags today but I haven't had a chance to try them out yet. I'll know more tomorrow when I seal up some cheese I smoked for Christmas gifts. They feel pretty good, but I'll put a micrometer on them to compare them to the Food Saver ones for you.

The price is definately right. They're constructed a little differently. Where the FS brand has one side textured (to allow air to flow during the vacuum process) these bags acheive the same effect with a third layer of textured material down the center 4/5s of the width of the bag. The add says 4 mils (vs. FS's 3 mil) but I think that they are counting the textured layer. The micrometer will tell the tale.

More tomorrow.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The tale of the tape....er, micrometer.

OK, measured the bags using a machinist micrometer. Here are the results:

Food Saver brand bags, smooth side: .004"
Food Saver brand bags, textured side: about .009"

Websaurant store bags, smooth sides: .003"
Websaurant store bags, all three layers: .019

So, the actual exterior walls of the Websaurant store bags are thinner than the FS brand, but the total thickness (there's three layers, remember?) is actually thicker.

They seal up fine and I think that if you're using mylar in addition to the standard bag that these are a great buy at just .001' of an inch thinner than the FS bags.

As for myself, about 80% of my bag use is for the freezer. I double seal, but haven't been usine mylar in addition to the bags. The ones that aren't in the freezer are stuff like 1 pound packages of beans and rice that are then put inside 5 gallon buckets. The additional abrasion resistance offered by the FS brands isn't a real issue in these cases.

I think these will work just fine for me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
just to necro this post, 3 mil bags kinda suck imo. When I first got my chamber vacuum sealer years ago (actually from webstaurantstore.com linked above), I got 1000 4 mil bags with it. When I ran out, I got lazy and bought a box of 2000 3 mil bags from a local restaurant supply store across the street from work. The 3mil will be sufficient for many things, which is why they are popular, but things with bones in them have caused many punctures and I just never had the problem with the 4 mil bags. I never liked how crinkly they were compared to the 4 mil. They always seemed much easier to damage. Because I don't want to manage lots of different bag types, I just buy the 4 mil now even though it would be a bit more economical to only use 4 mil when I have to pack something with bones. I also like to make sure the bag is boilable because not all of them are.

Lastly, I'm not using these for LTS. I am mostly sealing meats for the chest freezer, along with chilis, a base tomato sauce, various stocks, etc as well as lunchtime meals that I'll seal for convenience and ease of reheating and fast cleaning/disposal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts