Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lot of mylar sealed foods, but recently picked up 2000lbs of wheat & another 1000lbs of rice and beans...I am thinking a foodsaver vacuum sealer might be easier than doing mylar with o2 absorbers, is there a downside to using a foodsaver bag ? I will be storing the bags in opaque food grade plastic barrels which are airtight.

Any pros & cons would be appreciated

·
6 Boys and 13 Hands
10,413 Posts
It's been my experience with Food Saver vacuum bags that they will not hold their seal for a very long period of time.

There is a video on youtube that demonstrates using the food saver to vacuum a Mylar bag reducing the need for an oxygen absorber. Sorry I don't have the link handy.

·
566 Posts
I'm just now starting the mylar/o2 absorber thing. I haven't bought any long-term foods, so this is practice. At the moment, most of our food items will be rotated out within a year. From the items I've packaged using the FoodSaver, there have been very few that didn't maintain the seal. I'm guessing it's more operator error. Some items can poke tiny, tiny holes in the bags (rice & pasta come to mind).

If I was in your situation, I might package some with the vacuum sealer and the majority with the mylar/o2 absorbers.

If you choose the vacuum sealer route, be sure to purchase a higher mil thickness that what is available in the stores. www.dehydrate2store.com recommends 3.5mil (from what I remember) - and offers helpful hints on sealer use.

·
Registered
33,832 Posts
I would be concerned that "ALL" the oxygen wouldn't get out. The 02 absorbers are cheap insurance and offers that extra layer of protection. I would hate to lock in that oxygen with the food in a vacuum sealer.

·
Vampire Slayer
7,025 Posts
I use buckets lined with mylar bags, O2 absorbers and DE for long-term bulk storage. I use food-saver bags for smaller amounts that I expect to use fairly soon. The food saver bags have rather hard edges and they are difficult to store in buckets due to their shape. I try to get them fairly flat and stack them in containers. The advantage of the foodsaver bag is that it can be resealed if you leave enough extra bag when you first seal it. I like the jar attachment for sealing dehydrated foods in mason jars. Adding O2 absorbers to bags and jars is optional, but I usually do.

·
Registered
33,832 Posts
It's been my experience with Food Saver vacuum bags that they will not hold their seal for a very long period of time.

There is a video on youtube that demonstrates using the food saver to vacuum a Mylar bag reducing the need for an oxygen absorber. Sorry I don't have the link handy.
That has been my experience, "some" of the stuff that I vacuumed sealed a year ago lost their seal even when I doubled sealed it. I just don't trust them for long term sealing.

I have yet to have a mylar bag go bad. I do suck most of the air out of my mylars with the o2's inside and hopefully killing off that 20% of oxygen inside. I do go over kill on the o2 absorbers, it's just cheap insurance. I think that is the best/safest way to do it.

·
workin on it......
1,110 Posts
I think both ways have their own uses.
The mylar and O2 for long term storage in buckets and the foodsaver for things like powdered milk,oatmeal, coconut,etc("soft"foods)
I use the jar sealer for mason jars of beans,dehydrated foods,etc. And I toss an O2 in the jar for the things I plan to store for a longer period of time in the pantry.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,758 Posts
I would be concerned that "ALL" the oxygen wouldn't get out. The 02 absorbers are cheap insurance and offers that extra layer of protection. I would hate to lock in that oxygen with the food in a vacuum sealer.
You can't vacuum all the O2 out. And considering that the vacuum bags don't hold a seal forever, it's a mid term solution that's ideal for storing your dried crops for use within a couple years and such. But for true long term storage, it's hard to beat mylar/O2 absorbers.

·
Registered
33,832 Posts
You can't vacuum all the O2 out. And considering that the vacuum bags don't hold a seal forever, it's a mid term solution that's ideal for storing your dried crops for use within a couple years and such. But for true long term storage, it's hard to beat mylar/O2 absorbers.
100% agree :thumb:

That is how I look at it, it's just a mid term solution. For some reason they won't stayed sealed even in the freezer.

·
Prepared Gourmet
2,964 Posts
Right now I am using larger mylar bags to contain smaller, more useable in a short time, vacuum sealed bags which have O2 absorbers in them, all inside buckets.

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right now I am using larger mylar bags to contain smaller, more useable in a short time, vacuum sealed bags which have O2 absorbers in them, all inside buckets.
Actually that is what I am now leaning towards after reading all of the postings.

Thank you all for your input, its great to be able to post a question and get first hand knowledge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts