Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Ham Extra Class
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While getting my tetanus shot the other day I noticed on the brocure from CVS minute clinic that they offer (And I did not know this) other vaccinations.
One for pneumonia, and another for hepatitis.
I am thinking of going back and checking if my medical insurance will cover these and get them done whats your thoughts. And are there other vaccinations I should check into? I have had vaccinations while in public school here in the 1970's and 1980's, however not since then.
I figure it can't hurt.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Got them all... pneumonia, all the heps, tetanus (all the shots the army gives) three small pox vaccinations, the shingles shot and the preventative rabies shots. Which reminds me, I probably need a rabies booster. It's been more than five years since I've had the pneuonia shot so perhaps I need to ask about that, too.

I paid $300 for the rabies shots back in 2006. I was traveling overseas and kept having this dream about being bitten so I got the series for peace of mind. That's when I got the DTP shot as well.

I am not against vaccinations but I am against clustering them in small kids. I think that is the cause of a lot of problems.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Getting a flu shot is a good idea if you have a weak immune system, or live with someone who does (like young children or the elderly), but it won't do you any good by the time next year rolls around. The flu is different every year, so it's not really a vaccine I'd think of as a long term prep.

Rabies seems like a good one, also tetanus. I believe tetanus shots are good for something like 10 years? I need a booster.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Can you get rabies shots in advance? I thought the protocol was a treatment, not a vaccination. Wow.. thank you. That is valuable to know.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
While getting my tetanus shot the other day I noticed on the brocure from CVS minute clinic that they offer (And I did not know this) other vaccinations.
I am thinking of going back and checking if my medical insurance will cover these and get them done whats your thoughts. And are there other vaccinations I should check into? I have had vaccinations while in public school here in the 1970's and 1980's, however not since then.
I figure it can't hurt.

i would get tetanus, hepatitis and i would just take vitamins

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
I have reasons for not vaccinating. I know it would be unpopular or even insulting if I go into it. Worse some might think I am being judgmental, so I'll just leave it at that.

I will say however that me and my wife have put many many hours into researching vaccines, the ingredients, and unfortunate side effects.

With that said, not all of them to me are bad. On your list I saw Tetanus. That's a good one.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Can you get rabies shots in advance? I thought the protocol was a treatment, not a vaccination. Wow.. thank you. That is valuable to know.
Yes, you can get the rabies series (three shots) in advance. Then if you get bitten in theory you don't need a shot but the cover-your-butt protocol is to give you one booster.

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
For regular updates its definate Tetanus and the flu jab. I have had both, Iv also had the pnuemonia jab a few years back and thats a one off.

In the Uk every school girl gets german measels jabs - Im also immune to measels. Iv had chicken pox and also mumps but I do get shingles so thats not nice. All school children here got jabs (1970/80s) for the big killers all the way through their education (ie Polio etc), so Iv had a fair few.

They say they are going to begin to innoculate agains Hep B here in youngsters, and they also have a cervical cancer injection for teenage virgin girls.

We dont have rabies here in the UK (yet) due to our stringent import animal rulings of pet passports (they are innoculated against rabies) and a 6 month quarantine rule. I believe the passport system may only cover Europe but I maybe wrong.

PS: My mother had Measles and made me nurse her in hope that I would catch it as a teenager but I never did. The Dr said Im immune.

·
Whippersnapper
2,664 Posts
Typhoid shows a resurgence in disaster situations the world over where hygene falls and communial water sources used, as well as in wilderness survival- get that Vaccine also.
its a common travel vaccine.

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
I have reasons for not vaccinating. I know it would be unpopular or even insulting if I go into it. Worse some might think I am being judgmental, so I'll just leave it at that.

I will say however that me and my wife have put many many hours into researching vaccines, the ingredients, and unfortunate side effects.

With that said, not all of them to me are bad. On your list I saw Tetanus. That's a good one.
Ditto :thumb:

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
ppl really need to do their research on vaccines there are some that do more harm than good like the flu shot that the health dept tries to push on ppl.think about it they even have commercials trying to talk you into getting it.and often times give it out for free, they dont give anything out for free unless they know they will make a fortune later down the road

here is some info on vaccines

http://www.infowars.com/articles/science/vaccines/

side note: not all vaccines are bad you need to do your homework to find out which ones are good and which ones are bad, and dont bother asking the doctors they dont know (unless their field of study is in vaccines) i told a doctor that i was deadly alergic to thimerosal/squalene at the end of the visit he stressed several times that i should get my flu shots, doctors dont know it all dont count on them to :eek:

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
I figure it can't hurt.

The CVS up the street has been advertsing shingles shots for the last couple weeks........must be shingles season......lol

CHA CHING!!!!!

·
Bad Moon Rising
8,897 Posts
May want to call your insurance company first.

In our case, vaccinations for specific necessary diseases are covered - but if you want 3 or 4 other vaccines administered "just in case", those are not covered. I suspect in most cases you can't sign up for, say, 9 vaccinations and just submit the bill to your insurance company. You'll probably wind up paying some portion of that bill.

Check it out first...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts