Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My g/f her 5yr old son and myself will be taking a Trip to chicago in 2 weeks from tomorrow.

We are traveling via Amtrak. Our main source of transportation will be the bus or the metro train. We are staying at a house we found for rent. We are going to Aquarium, Willis Tower, Museum of Science and Industry, the Pier, Planetarium...... I bought is the "Chicago Pass".

I live in Indiana and have a CC permit. Chicago IL being a communist state does not accept my permit so i have to travel naked.

I have a leatherman multitool, thats it.....I'll be carrying my
1- 5.11 select carry sling pack.
2- sawyer SP 194 (filters .02 microns)
3- RZ MASK M2 with spare filters
4- leatherman surge
5- bandana
6- suvrival paracord bracelet with fire rod, can opener, compass, hidden handcuff key
7- SOL SURVIVE OUTDOORS LONGER EMERGENCY BIVVY XL

what else should i carry?

i hate going to chicago but to keep them safe i have to go. with the train station that was blown up in bruseel, my worries are much more higher....

·
Registered
530 Posts
Just because you can't carry a gun, does not mean you have to be unarmed. Carry a stout walking stick and you're very able to clean some low life's clock. Drop cheap box cutter in your pocket, or some kind of small lock blade knife that can be palmed and opened easy, like a Spyderco lady but bug or dragonfly. Pepper spray in good as is a AA Mini Mag flashlight that works well as a kuboton/striking tool. Slammed butt end to the temple or mastoid gland of a low life it works wonders.

But above all, just use good situational awareness and you'll be fine. Most trouble can be avoided by common sense and a little thinking. I've lived most of my life in Washington FD.C. with no firearm carry, yet Ive been fine. Knocked a few heads over the years and sprayed down one with a pepper spray once, and it worked like a charm. Enjoy your trip! Have a good time and take pics.

Teddy Roosevelt hit the nail on the head when he quoted a Massai proverb;"Speak softly and carry big stick and you will go far."

I always take one these going out the door.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Here's what I would add:

1) Some sort of a 1st aid kit - especially since you have a 5 years old kid with you. Sometimes, slapping a band-aid on a scratch will save you from a lot of screaming :) (Also... blisters. Ick!)

2) Duct tape (not an entire roll... but atleast have some of it)

3) Zip ties (seriously, they weigh nothing and I just love those things)

4) Lighter (yeah, I'm not a fan of fire rods but... that's debatable)

5) Pen\sharpie + Notebook (you never know when you'll need to write something)

6) Signaling for everyone around - I recommend whistles myself, but again... to each their own.

7) Condom + a couple of purification tablets. Again, they weigh nothing and can be useful in an emergency.

8) A map of where you're going. Getting lost sucks. (Knowing where the nearest hospital could also be useful. What I do is that I mark places of interest on the map before the trip - hospitals, police stations, fire stations, my hotel and the like - so that in case of an emergency, I'll save time looking for them.

9) Knife - ok, I honestly have no idea what are new york knife laws, but I would suggest a decent, light, neck knife which you could pull out in case of trouble. Cold steel spike\secret agent are some of my favorites for those particular tasks. Also - they cut stuff.

10) A small sowing kit.

I tried to make sure that the items I suggest are light - since I know that you most likely won't need them, and that way they won't burden you too much on your travels. If you will need them though - you have options!

·
Nemo me impune lacessit
2,642 Posts
columbusprepper I'm with you in spirit. "I live in Indiana and have a CC permit. Chicago IL being a communist state does not accept my permit so i have to travel naked." Me too. I'm also retired LEO and you're correct they still don't care. I would recommend a good folding lock blade knife. I carry the CRKT M21-12DGI as part of my EDC. Not great but better than empty hands. Situational awareness is key keep your eyes open and be aware all the time. If approached to buy something say no thank you and keep moving.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Oh yes.... know the areas in the city that are more risky particularly at night. My wife and I visited Chicago stayed on the river at the hotel. 'Situational awareness' was very helpful when moving around in the city.

·
Indefatigable
22,828 Posts
It's a vacation, not a deployment. Are you planning to pack emergency supplies just for yourself? Because emergency supplies for all 3 would be challenge even on the best days.
Look at the top of this thread - there are vacation threads made by members in the past. Do you think they spent all their time in a hotel room worrying if they were safe?
After having read numerous vacation threads over the years, to my knowledge no one had any safety issues. But if you read through a few of those other threads, I think you will find there were many people who said - I don't know what I was worried about, we had a lot of fun.
Go, have a good time, make some memories.

·
Registered
155 Posts
You're mostly going to be in the Loop area (except for Navy Pier which is a short trip north through a higher end and also safe district). That downtown area is very touristy and there's cops around pretty much 24/7 there. As long as you stay out of the alleys at night time, the biggest threat you'd probably have to worry about is a snatch and grab.

On the terrorism side, not much you can really do with weapons against an ******* who wants to blow themself up, better off prepping on a decent first aid kit to deal with any medical emergencies and just being regularly watchful about who is around you.

Because of the terrorist issue, the museums all have extra security screenings now, so be careful about carrying a knife on you into the Aquarium, the Planatarium, or the MSI, and also the Sears Tower. No screenings at Navy Pier, it's essentially an open air mall with attractions.

If you're looking for restaurants, there's basic fast food and chains peppered all over the loop or better stuff just west of the loop across the river (back by the train station) or north of the loop (again across the river, it curves around)

Also second the recommendations on the Field Museum, it's a good one.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.