Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
COINTELPRO Operative
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently purchased a Ultraviolet Light, just because it was 5 Dollars.

I was thinkng of using it on my rice before I seal it up.

My plan is to spread it out on a table and just flip on the light for about ten minutes..

The main reason i'm doing this is because i saw a video of this dude storing some rice and he found some sort of bug, still alive, in it.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
14,867 Posts
I stick my rice in the freezer then in the fridge to slowly bring it back to room temp so no condensation builds up.

Freezing kills any eggs that might be in the rice. Then sealed with an O2 absorber, it's unlikely anything will surivive.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,561 Posts
UV as in black lights won't kill bugs. If you're packaging it with O2 absorbers, you've removed the O2 that they need to live. So that solves the problem of infestation. If you want to be double sure, you can sprinkle food grade diatomaceous earth in it. That's what they use in grain silos to keep bugs out. Even the packaged food industry uses it in dry mixes such as Bisquick.

I see freezing recommended a lot. But I'm not convinced. Bugs overwinter fine in some of the coldest states in the country. When you bring cold grain out of the freezer, you have to consider condensation also.

·
COINTELPRO Operative
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UV as in black lights won't kill bugs. If you're packaging it with O2 absorbers, you've removed the O2 that they need to live. So that solves the problem of infestation. If you want to be double sure, you can sprinkle food grade diatomaceous earth in it. That's what they use in grain silos to keep bugs out. Even the packaged food industry uses it in dry mixes such as Bisquick.

I see freezing recommended a lot. But I'm not convinced. Bugs overwinter fine in some of the coldest states in the country. When you bring cold grain out of the freezer, you have to consider condensation also.
well yea I know the lights arent going to kill bugs. But I'm more concerned with the germs the bug carries. Also the FDA allows for a small amount of rat feces per bag of dry goods.

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
Well, feel free. :) Just don't let that be your only antibugandratfeces tool.

·
Closed for the Season.
15,784 Posts
Problem with ultraviolet disinfection of solids is shielding (shading). The item blocks the UV from hitting the bacteria. It is something you deal with using for water disinfection as well. You need clear water with low amount of solids (turbidity). One reason that as much as they try to find a safer alternative to chlorine disinfection UV is not widely used.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts