Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
No experience with that machine. But, I bought a used John Deere Gator and over the past several years it has hauled and hauled. It has saved my back a good many miles. My point is get one any one you can get a good deal on they will make your life just a bit easier.

·
Bugged out already
3,912 Posts
UTV are a huge asset on my spread. I have a few, equipped for different purposes. I've not heard of that brand. I have Honda, Polaris and Arctic Cats.

Make sure you can source parts and services. If you use them for hard work like I do, they will break.

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
UTV are a huge asset on my spread. I have a few, equipped for different purposes. I've not heard of that brand. I have Honda, Polaris and Arctic Cats.

Make sure you can source parts and services. If you use them for hard work like I do, they will break.
I agree about the parts and services availability.

I considered a Tractor Supply UTV due to their prices being several thousand dollars cheaper than "name brand" UTVs. So before buying, I decided to look up parts available beforehand. I couldn't find anything. The engines for the ones that I was considering were made in China and were knock offs of existing name brand engines. However, name brand parts apparently don't quite work with their engines. Ultimately, I couldn't find even the simplest of parts anywhere.

Also, I found that only "Authorized" repair centers can work on them for warranty work. My state had exactly one authorized repair shop in the whole state (TX).

So OP, I would find out the engine brand/make and look up common parts and check for availability before you decide to purchase. I went with a used Kawasaki Teryx myself, and I can order most parts I need right off of Amazon. It's way more convenient than trying to chase down Chinese parts.

Ok OP, I decided to look and here's the parts list for the model being considered. https://e470fb87-7a87-4f24-83b2-6804036d9b8b.filesusr.com/ugd/e9061b_0cc1f2c1c0a743a197bf59247ef1bcc1.pdf

I picked a random part, the fuel tank, and googled it. I only found one place that seemed to have it. It was a place called "VMC Chinese parts." https://www.vmcchineseparts.com/products/chinese-atv-gas-fuel-tank-version-11-for-linhai-260cc

I don't know, but this doesn't fill me with confidence. Search more parts and maybe you'll fine better results. It sure would suck to pay for a nice UTV, only to have it sit there rotting for want of what should be an easy to purchase part.

Good luck OP.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I think they are all made in China or Indonesia or Korea... somewhere like that. As long as you do the maintenance and don't abuse it, it should run for a good long while. They aren't as well engineered and made as the bigger name brands but you gotta decide how you will treat it and run it. Then decide if you can handle the "what ifs" that probably won't be there with a more expensive machine.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,223 Posts
Nebula Engine?? I would keep looking.
I see they show a Coleman for the same price.
Specification Description
Country of Origin: Imported
Horsepower: 26 HP
Product Width: 57 in.
Rear Wheel Size: 25 x 10 - 12
Maximum Speed: 35 mph
Product Height: 74.5 in.
Wheel Base: 74 in.
Ground Clearance: 9 in.
Front Wheel Size: 25 x 8 - 12
Engine Brand: Nebula
Color: Green
Product Length: 105 in.
Power Type: Gas
Towing Capacity: 1,000 lb.
Maximum Weight Capacity: 771 lb.
Occupant Capacity: 2 passengers
Cargo Bed Load Limit: 400 lb.
Braking Mechanism: Disc
Part Number: TSC-CUV:400-VX-GREEN
Product Weight: 1,135 lb.
Warranty: 1 Year
Engine Displacement: 391 cc
Brand: Bighorn

//////////////////////

Specification Description
Country of Origin: Imported
Maximum Speed: 38 MPH
Product Weight: 1168 lb.
Rear Wheel Size: AT25x10-12
Engine Type: Singal Cylinder Four Stroke
Engine Brand: Hisun
Part Number: UT400
Horsepower: 28 HP
Product Height: 73.6 in.
Product Width: 59.86 in.
Wheel Base: 72.05 in.
Towing Capacity: 1200 lb.
Product Length: 105.5 in.
Engine Displacement: 393cc
Braking Mechanism: Hydraulic
Power Type: Gas
Brand: Coleman
Warranty: 1 Year
Cargo Bed Load Limit: 400 lb.
Fuel Tank Capacity: 6.8 gal.
Front Wheel Size: AT25x8-12
Color: Red
Occupant Capacity: Two Seater
Maximum Weight Capacity: 800 lb.
Ground Clearance: 11 in.
Manufacturer Part Number UT400

Who makes Hisun UTV engines?
McKinney, TX – December 10, 2019 – HISUN Motors Corp., USA is a wholly-owned subsidiary of HISUN Motors (Chongqing Huansong Industrial (Group) Co. Ltd.) which manufactures all HISUN product in a state-of-the-art 7.1 million square foot facility located in Chongqing, China.

At least the Hisun engine has a website. (maybe. I can't get it to open.

Nebula engine, I find nothing.

·
Swift Justice = 2950fps
10,330 Posts
I spend a lot of time in the southern Arizona desert, exploring the Butterfield Stage route, station ruins, Apache / Oatman massacre site, etc., etc. I’m planning on buying 2 identical UTV’s this fall, for desert use.. I’ve been leaning toward the Coleman’s. Anyone have experience with them? Good, bad, junk?

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts

I agree about the parts and services availability.

I considered a Tractor Supply UTV due to their prices being several thousand dollars cheaper than "name brand" UTVs. So before buying, I decided to look up parts available beforehand. I couldn't find anything. The engines for the ones that I was considering were made in China and were knock offs of existing name brand engines. However, name brand parts apparently don't quite work with their engines. Ultimately, I couldn't find even the simplest of parts anywhere.

Also, I found that only "Authorized" repair centers can work on them for warranty work. My state had exactly one authorized repair shop in the whole state (TX).

So OP, I would find out the engine brand/make and look up common parts and check for availability before you decide to purchase. I went with a used Kawasaki Teryx myself, and I can order most parts I need right off of Amazon. It's way more convenient than trying to chase down Chinese parts.

Ok OP, I decided to look and here's the parts list for the model being considered. https://e470fb87-7a87-4f24-83b2-6804036d9b8b.filesusr.com/ugd/e9061b_0cc1f2c1c0a743a197bf59247ef1bcc1.pdf

I picked a random part, the fuel tank, and googled it. I only found one place that seemed to have it. It was a place called "VMC Chinese parts." https://www.vmcchineseparts.com/products/chinese-atv-gas-fuel-tank-version-11-for-linhai-260cc

I don't know, but this doesn't fill me with confidence. Search more parts and maybe you'll fine better results. It sure would suck to pay for a nice UTV, only to have it sit there rotting for want of what should be an easy to purchase part.

Good luck OP.
Depends on price. If the price is less than 60% of the “name brand “ I’d consider buying 2 of the cheaper ones. If they are identical you can always strip parts. And if you have to send it away for maintenance you have the other vehicle to use while it’s gone.

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
If we had the money I would buy a Gator ( neighbors have one and love it, but they are pricey and few used ones available here)

We did it the cheaper way, got a very old cheap gas golf cart, plus a Honda Ranger ATV we can attach a cart for hauling in 4 wd areas

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
7,126 Posts
I do motorcycle recovery at the the track for MotoGP and track days. Pull a 5X8 trailer with the UTV. Used both JD Gator and a Polaris. The Polaris beat the Gator by a wide margin.

·
Swift Justice = 2950fps
10,330 Posts
I went with a used Kawasaki Teryx myself, and I can order most parts I need right off of Amazon. It's way more convenient than trying to chase down Chinese parts.
I just purchased a 2018 Kawasaki Teryx. It’s like new in every way. Not many hours on it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
I just purchased a 2018 Kawasaki Teryx. It’s like new in every way. Not many hours on it.
Very nice. Just use that low gear if you tow stuff. But man once you put that thing in high gear, you're gonna boogie and have some fun. We've gotten ours over 50mph on a rough gravel road. If you use pavement I bet you could hit 60. Mudding is great too if you're into that.

For me I use it everyday and it's just nice to have that zip to it when you want it.

Also you'll love the low maintenance. In just over three years I've had to make no repairs (to the engine) of any kind. Just an oil change here and there.

Nice find! :thumb:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Dated information from 6 years back...........
We bought a Yamaha Rhino new. Worked great for the first two years but after that it required seemingly constant repairs. Got so bad that I fixed one more time and sold it because I never trusted it enough to go anywhere.
Two friends bought the cheaper off-brand UTVs that looked similar. Both regretted buying them.

·
Swift Justice = 2950fps
10,330 Posts
Very nice. Just use that low gear if you tow stuff. But man once you put that thing in high gear, you're gonna boogie and have some fun. We've gotten ours over 50mph on a rough gravel road. If you use pavement I bet you could hit 60. Mudding is great too if you're into that.

For me I use it everyday and it's just nice to have that zip to it when you want it.

Also you'll love the low maintenance. In just over three years I've had to make no repairs (to the engine) of any kind. Just an oil change here and there.

Nice find! :thumb:
It’s more than strong enough to cover the desert trails I ride.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
We started using them on wildlife refuges when they first appeared on the market. Gators at first then a couple of Polarises. They were real workhorses, and had very few problems. The weed and pest district in our area used Kawasaki mules and were happy with them

When I decided I needed a utility vehicle for use just around the place, I decided the price was higher than I could justify, but used Japanese K trucks were more in my price range. I have had the K truck for several years now and am entirely happy with it. It has a bigger bed than a UTV and a pretty high weight rating. The thing I like best is that the bed is low to the ground, AND the sides fold down to make a flat bed. NICE for guys who are getting old.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I think they are all made in China or Indonesia or Korea... somewhere like that. As long as you do the maintenance and don't abuse it, it should run for a good long while. They aren't as well engineered and made as the bigger name brands but you gotta decide how you will treat it and run it. Then decide if you can handle the "what ifs" that probably won't be there with a more expensive machine.
No All made in chicomland.

Perhaps the only gas engine powered chicom item I've seen where you "apparently" can get parts is gensets with Briggs (made in China) engines. PERHAPS. How many years????

Everything else is short lifespan throwaways.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I used to have a Chicom copy of the Yamaha Rhino. I used it quite a bit around the property for a few years before the carb had a major issue. The carb is an odd design and parts are not existent for it. On many things I could just buy the equivalent Yamaha part and that would work. Not this time the replacement would not bolt up. In the end I gave up on it and sold it as is with all existing parts and full disclosure for $500.

I picked up a Honda Pioneer 1000 two years ago and have been very pleased.
You can find parts, accessories and knowledgable mechanics every where for the name brands. I would save myself the headache and get a name brand.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts