Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand the peoples frustration, my family and I were without power for 18 days after hurricane Rita. 3 days is nothing compared to 2 1/2 weeks.

There is no excuse for this kind of behavior.

I think this is a good example of how quickly things can go bad.

By throwing eggs the people are wasting food.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/0...t-having-objects-thrown-at-them-by-residents/

Angry residents pelted utility crews with eggs as they tried to restore power in Bridgeport, Conn., after the mayor claimed the local power company had "shortchanged" the state's largest city as it tries to recover from superstorm Sandy.
Roads have to be cleared, lines have to be cleared, there is all kinds of work that has to be done before the power can be turned back on.

On the flip side of the coin

The power company has been accused of restoring power to upper class areas before restoring power to middle class areas.

I do not know if the accusations are true or not.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Bottom line in all this is the "People" need to get their collective "Head out of their Butts" and make sure they have some sort of "Preps" on hand for just this very reason...:xeye: :xeye: (I.E. - Food, Water, Genny to run some lights or other devices...etc...etc)

Nobody is going to do it for them...Wake up and smell the Java PEOPLE...:xeye: :xeye:

·
Peas and Carrots!
36,851 Posts
I guess they were just trying to emulate their heroes from New Orleans that shot at the relief heliocopters.

The mayor there was evidently trying to create a problem bigger than already existed. He should be proud. It worked. Now his leo's will have more work to do and his "poor, put-upon citizens" will have to wait even longer. The citizens should be rioting - against their city hall.

·
Professional Lurker
4,105 Posts
If I was in charge of those crews I'd say fine, if your going to treat them that way then you'll be the last neighborhood that we'll restore power to!

Those men and women are out there busting their asses off with little sleep or time off, they deserve a lot more respect then that.

·
Registered
69 Posts
As a lineman who has worked numerous snow/ ice storms, tornadoes, and 3 hurricanes I've had similar stuff happen to me. Had people come out of their houses saying I wasn't working fast enough while armed with a shotgun, had people tell me it was my fault their holiday was ruined (mind you i'm working away from my family on Christmas, but i'm ruining their holiday) and had things stolen off of my bucket truck by people without power like tools, water and such. People turn into animals without utilities esp. power.

·
Registered
6,646 Posts
What I've seen is that first off the power crews do what is obvious until they have some real direction.

Then when the power companies start getting a clear picture of what needs to be done they start work on the areas that will bring the most people back. They also have to factor in travel times and if it makes sense to go past a neighborhood that has a small problem to drive 10 miles to a bigger one.

It's a headache balancing all that and trying to get everyone collectively back on as quickly as possible. I'm sure it's easier now with software.

What we saw in our area is a tree company truck and workers, a power truck and workers. They traveled together and one worked while the other rested. They didn't leapfrog off to another site, because too often there might be another problem and they would waste time backtracking. It also meant there was a chance to rest and close their eyes for a few minutes in an 18+ hour day.

We saw numerous crews working near our home both days before one of them finally made it into our neighborhood.

·
Crusty, Crunchy and Cute
3,040 Posts
Mayor Bill Finch who bragged about voter fraud and said no matter how long it took he would get the votes is Mayor Ray Nagins white cousin.

All he cares about is the press this gives him and a spur to get preferential treatment for his people to bolster his next election chances. My friend who lives in Connecticut is working as hard as she can to get him ousted but she is pushing a large rock up a long hill trying to get through to the 'Will vote Dem no matter what' crowd.

·
gagged
3,833 Posts
They are angry because they believe the management of the Utility Company let them down, so they assault the line worker? Not to mention, utility workers from all over the nation have gone up to the affected area to help, so the guy they are throwing eggs at may not even be from that utility company.
Too bad you can't isolate them from the system and leave them off until they come in and make some type of restitution for attacking the workers.

·
Registered
116 Posts
We went without power after Andrew for 6 MONTHS, then another YEAR with just a contractors box while we rebuilt in Homestead. Then now living in central Fla. we went 14 days without power. The day the utility trucks were on our street we got out there and cooked them lunch we were so happy! The people that threw eggs need to go to jail.....

·
Electric Bowhunter
369 Posts
Power crews

I was a lineman for thirteen years in NC and have worked storms and hurricanes, etc all over the East Coast. The way the power is restored is really not as complex as you might think, just very time consuming and very, very dangerous. I'm not gonna say that favoritism never occurs because I know it does. However, power is restored according to feeds. In other words, you have to start from the source and work your way out. It makes no sense to work on getting a three phase feeder line back in the air if the station that feeds it is dead or the transmission line that carries electricity from the generating station is on the ground. No sense in getting a single phase tap back up if the three phase is out. No need to put the wire back up to a house if the primary line that feeds the whole neighborhood is out. So most likely that is the reason the crews were somewhere else for three days. I can't tell you how much time I wasted trying to explain this to people in the field. Usually like talking to a wall.:eek: Also can't tell you how many times I was out working in crappy weather to restore power to a neighborhood that was not mine and mine was dark as well.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts