Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!

I wonder if anybody has come across this before. I need to attach a USMC hydration system to the back of a MOLLE assault pack.

Right now I've attached the two top clips of the hydration system to the MOLLE webbing. But it's only attached in those two loops (there's no other places to attach it as far as I can see).

The hydration system weighs 5lbs empty plus holds 3 litres of water (2.2lbs / litre). So 11.6lbs across those two points.

Does this sound like too much for the webbing to take at only two points (loops)?

Looks like this:

Thanks,

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Should be fine, but if you're worried...

Why not connect the same two fastex buckles around the top carrying handle?

·
New England Prepper
208 Posts
I agree with Astronomy. Move the buckles up to the carry handle and you should be able to secure the bottom buckles to the bag. That way it does not flop around. I'll have to pull mine out and see if there i a better way. I know on the ILBE main pack there is an actual spot for the hydration pack to fit into.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Maybe it was just the units I served with but we never attached the hydration system to the back of a day pack. We always either put it inside the daypack or on the back of our flak jackets.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone,

Yes, this is a space inside the assault pack for the hydration system. But I wish to carry two of them. There's a little internal pouch that looks like it's for carrying one internally to the pack.

During the summer months, with my two dogs, and with trail running mixed in, we go through 3L pretty quick.

The idea is to carry LOTS of water, medical kit, a couple of tools. I'm not going anywhere in the wilderness. I always found it a very convenient way to carry lots of water (camelback style).

It doesn't feel like it's going to strain, when I'm giving it a tug to check I'm putting a hell of a lot more than 11.6lbs of pull on it.

I just don't want to end up busting the stitching or anything, because during a run the hydration system will be bouncing up and down a lot.

Having it on the handle will add some obstruction to the zips at the top, but I don't think that will be a big problem. Sounds like a good idea.

Thanks again all,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your more likely to break the daypack. They are weak at the point where the strap connects to the bottom portion of the pack.
Oh really? It looked pretty well constructed. I take it you have experience of a failure, in which case, would you mind letting me know (if you recall) what kind of load/distance/pace we're talking about?

Apart from the water, everything else is pretty light. I'd say 30lbs total, water and supplies.

Thanks,

·
Tuefel Hunden
1,572 Posts
Water is problamatic

I like my hydro pack or water bladder closer to me than on the outer most dangling end of a pack barely hanging on. I would not put it on the outside of a pack, but that is just me. Either inside a pouch made to hold it on the inner most layer of all my gear or I would resort to a canteen rather than have it out on the fringe. Water is very important to me so I keep it close. If I were to carry more..canteen! If I still needed more than that I would think out other ways to purify water rather that carry more at around 8lbs per gallon.

This isn't the best set up I have seen but for a one day or less out just messing around it works for him. Kindah hodge podge and mis matched.

This could kill two birds so to speak.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I understand the convenience of strapping on extra water. But in terms of efficient pack loading it makes more sense to get the water close to your back and low in the pack.

You bring up a very good point as many of us would like to carry more water and usually carry it improperly. Maybe a modified wider bladder that packs against the back of your pack. Good question you asked, and some good replies.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
The hydration system weighs 5lbs empty plus holds 3 litres of water (2.2lbs / litre). So 11.6lbs across those two points.
5lbs empty - is it kevlar? That doesn't sound right - if it is dump it - think how heavy that is! i saw one like that - it was 1.75LBS

The problem with your set up appears to be that you don't have a waist belt for the amount of weight you will be carrying when fully loaded. All the weight will be on your shoulders and the weight will slide around. If you have a waist belt it might help. Doesn't your pack have a hydration sleeve in the back?

This one is .5lb
http://www.camelbak.com/en/Canada/Military-Tactical/Packs/Armorbak.aspx

.95 lb
http://www.camelbak.com/en/Canada/Military-Tactical/Packs/ThermoBak-AB.aspx

·
Tuefel Hunden
1,572 Posts
I am old so I need to use KISS alot.

So I resort to different methods and really try not to carry tons of stuff in one backpack type set up. I like layers.

There is a pattern developing here with me huh?

I try to support most of the weight close to my core and other load carrying areas. Hips carry a lot more weight than shoulders?

I also like to prioritized the placement of things based on needs and importance. Try out your set up. Load it up. Grab your weapon and run around for a day or two and you can see where you do and where you don't want stuff. The military makes it easy on you. They tell you where to put it and what to do, sometimes even why? LOL:thumb:

·
USMC
148 Posts
I must agree with Dexx. Having used one of these in the Marine Corps as well as out of it (I bought one at the PX as my EDC bag) I can tell you that while you CAN throw 20-30 lbs of gear/water into these, it is NOT pleasant on your shoulders. (Right in the Trapezius muscles is where it digs into me)
Using the Belt Buckle and the sternum strap help a bit, but honestly if you want to carry that much weight I HIGHLY recommend getting a different bag.

This coming from a Marine who loves his old school Arc'teryx Assault Pack. :thumb: The new Eagle FILBE ones are about the same for weight bearing capabilities maybe a little better and much more modular. Although they cost about 3 times more.

Also other considerations are either getting a Katadyn Water filter (which have Camelback adapters included) and filtering on the go, or making the dogs carry some of their own water. They have a few dog packs that work pretty well, one being the Ruffwear packs.

The other upside is they make the dog feel like they have a job, (Which is important especially if you have working dogs) and it tires them out faster. Over the long term it will help them build more endurance which will be good in a survival situation. I really can't see any downside to this solution.

Lastly be careful trail running with a pack. From what I've heard, it's not very good for your body to run with a heavy pack for long distances. Could be wrong, just FYI.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.