Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Never use a cat. Trust me.

Me neighbors didn't take too kindly when I had to get a ladder to fetch my Cat with a gun strapped to its back from their roof.

But seriously, is it possible to use a large dog for this purpose?
If you can get the animal use to it it should work the Romans used Rotti's to guard their cattle on the way to market then put the money in a bag around there neck for the carry home. (Friend had a Rotti if the dog had the money the dog can keep it) Other dogs have carried loads for owners before. You might want to get the pup some boots if he's going to be needed to carry your stuff. Salt in the winter eats their foot pads bad and glass cuts their feet bad in the summer. Don't forget to make sure you know your dogs limits when I worked security with dogs the Rotti's and Dobermans got colder faster and the Sheapards couldn't take the heat as well. Remember a water boil to drink from if your going to work em hard. Hers a site they sell the packs at.
http://www.greatoutdoorsdepot.com/canine-packs.html

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Funny this came up. I was looking around the internet for some sort of "vest" for my rottie to carry, perhaps with saddle bag type sides. I know weight vests are out there for working dogs but I was looking for something more "tacticool" haha

·
Good Bye
1,808 Posts
They make a set of saddle bags for dogs. They are used often by Cezar Milan on, "The dog whisperer." He uses these bags with weight in them to do two things. one, it gives the dog a task, which is what they were bred for, and two, it tires them down more than just walking which relieves excess energy.

There are packs for dogs so that they can take their own gear on hikes, and camping trips.

Here is one company that makes them.... and they are not small.
http://www.ruffwear.com/dog_packs;j...94e29b528cbba6d8.e3eSc3iSaN0Le34Pa38Ta38Nb310

·
Registered
402 Posts
Also remember if this is a bug out type situation most of the load the dog is carrying should be for the dog. A dog will still need food, water, medicine (if req'd), water bowl. If the dog can't carry it you will.

·
Banned
9,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also remember if this is a bug out type situation most of the load the dog is carrying should be for the dog. A dog will still need food, water, medicine (if req'd), water bowl. If the dog can't carry it you will.
Thats a good point. I guess the other perks of having a Dog with you will be the most important. Not necessarily the load carrying capacity.

·
one day at a time
2,478 Posts
I have pland and preped a b.o.b LOL for the dogs. I want to get a bigger breed soon. But good idea in my opinion. Whats a good all around big breed. not to hot in the summer not to cold natured in the winter. protecter ect.ect. Ive always been a pit and huge german shep. man. what else is suggested?

·
How's it with stains?
283 Posts
I have pland and preped a b.o.b LOL for the dogs. I want to get a bigger breed soon. But good idea in my opinion. Whats a good all around big breed. not to hot in the summer not to cold natured in the winter. protecter ect.ect. Ive always been a pit and huge german shep. man. what else is suggested?
Focusing too much on breed won't get you the best dog. You should look for size - obviously - temperment, and yes, how it can handle your climate. I used to do K9 SAR and the biggest rule was 'find a dog that wants to work' which meant find a dog that wants to play so that you can teach it to work. A lot of the other stuff people get caught up in is a waste of time. I've always been a big admirer of GSDs too, and I still am, but the best dogs we had in SAR were mutts who just loved to go searching. As long as the dog knows who the boss is (better be you ;) ) and you train him/her well, he/she will learn fast, love the work and fall in line. There are some really great dogs at shelters and rescue homes. Most of the time when people get rid of there dog for behavior reasons it's because the dog didn't have a job to do and got restless, destroying everything as a release valve. With training and discipline those dogs are the ones that are the best...it's just too bad that the original owners never put in the effort.
Again, any dog will protect you, your family, and property if it feels like a part of the family (pack). My wife's 10 lb. Yorkie-Poo is ferocious compared to my 75 lb. Plott Hound mix. I wouldn't expect the YP to achieve much more than 'Grade A Alarm' in the security field but she would be more than welcome to root out as many moles, mice, rats and the like as she could if TEOTWAWKI came.
<Back to the point>
Any dog (within reason) can be trained to do anything. The factor that people don't consider is all the hard work that goes into training a dog properly. As an example of 'within reason', I don't suggest scent hounds as a pulling or all-out attack dogs. People think they're dumb (beagles, bassets, blood hounds) but it's just that they're 'easily distracted' by there superior sense of smell. They're bred to pick up on the slightest scent, so, they smell everything around and naturally want to go investigate it. They would be handy when trying to put meat on the table though!!
Long story short :)rolleyes: ha ha) - look around as much as you can to find a good hearty dog that you can lead. Put in the work and pay the proper attention and he/she will be your best non-human friend and a blessing to your family. There are some excellent sites on training a dog. The clicker method is my favorite...it works a lot better when the dog it actually training itself!! I'll try to remember to post some links.
Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Get a dog that was bred for work like pulling sleds or carts. Temperment? Ha I do not care what kind of dog it is its how you raise it! I have a rot. He is an intimidating beast to look at but a gentle giant on the inside. Great with kids and other dogs. He listens and never lashed out on anyone. Most issues with "aggressive" breeds it stupid owners.

Firecraft said it best with
Any dog (within reason) can be trained to do anything. The factor that people don't consider is all the hard work that goes into training a dog properly.

·
Registered
871 Posts
my 2year old beagle that i used to have was very rugged he was pure bred but very stout at around 35 pounds he could pull a wagon with a load of groceries in it and not strain one bit, he just never seemed to run out of energy i never pushed him beyond his limits or abused him cause i don't go for that crap, but after running rabbits he could come home and still be full of energy.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I like either newfs or the GSD (but play favorites so don't listen to me) I worked with Rottis Dobermans and the GSD. While the GSD had some issue with heat it was easy to fix with pacing and water. The Rotti, Dobermans shivered a lot and made me feel bad to have em outside while I'm standing there with a parka. Just don't forget the boots. Nothing worse then a dog with a bleeding foot or a chemical burn from something they stepped in. As had been said before love me as much as possible. a dog will go through hell and back wagging his tail for a little chow and a lot love. Plus if you got kids pets are great for moral.

·
one day at a time
2,478 Posts
Focusing too much on breed won't get you the best dog. You should look for size - obviously - temperment, and yes, how it can handle your climate. I used to do K9 SAR and the biggest rule was 'find a dog that wants to work' which meant find a dog that wants to play so that you can teach it to work. A lot of the other stuff people get caught up in is a waste of time. I've always been a big admirer of GSDs too, and I still am, but the best dogs we had in SAR were mutts who just loved to go searching. As long as the dog knows who the boss is (better be you ;) ) and you train him/her well, he/she will learn fast, love the work and fall in line. There are some really great dogs at shelters and rescue homes. Most of the time when people get rid of there dog for behavior reasons it's because the dog didn't have a job to do and got restless, destroying everything as a release valve. With training and discipline those dogs are the ones that are the best...it's just too bad that the original owners never put in the effort.
Again, any dog will protect you, your family, and property if it feels like a part of the family (pack). My wife's 10 lb. Yorkie-Poo is ferocious compared to my 75 lb. Plott Hound mix. I wouldn't expect the YP to achieve much more than 'Grade A Alarm' in the security field but she would be more than welcome to root out as many moles, mice, rats and the like as she could if TEOTWAWKI came.
<Back to the point>
Any dog (within reason) can be trained to do anything. The factor that people don't consider is all the hard work that goes into training a dog properly. As an example of 'within reason', I don't suggest scent hounds as a pulling or all-out attack dogs. People think they're dumb (beagles, bassets, blood hounds) but it's just that they're 'easily distracted' by there superior sense of smell. They're bred to pick up on the slightest scent, so, they smell everything around and naturally want to go investigate it. They would be handy when trying to put meat on the table though!!
Long story short :)rolleyes: ha ha) - look around as much as you can to find a good hearty dog that you can lead. Put in the work and pay the proper attention and he/she will be your best non-human friend and a blessing to your family. There are some excellent sites on training a dog. The clicker method is my favorite...it works a lot better when the dog it actually training itself!! I'll try to remember to post some links.
Good luck!!

Thanks for all that. and for keeping it short;) I had found a mut to be less likely to get the bad traits (hip displashia (spelling) in GSD) I just picked up a mut have lab. half somthing looks like pit cause its brendaled but not sure. Hes a good dog working with him today. very active very strong. I hope the wife wont complain to much :taped::D:.

Im likeing the giant snouzers, the RBT, and newfys. worried about climate control due to might be moving to cananda due to how immagration treats my wife at the boarder she is refusing to renew her visa next year sooooo might be there.

Thanks guysw

·
Just use a 2x4
822 Posts
Thanks for all that. and for keeping it short;) I had found a mut to be less likely to get the bad traits (hip displashia (spelling) in GSD) I just picked up a mut have lab. half somthing looks like pit cause its brendaled but not sure. Hes a good dog working with him today. very active very strong. I hope the wife wont complain to much :taped::D:.

Im likeing the giant snouzers, the RBT, and newfys. worried about climate control due to might be moving to cananda due to how immagration treats my wife at the boarder she is refusing to renew her visa next year sooooo might be there.

Thanks guysw
It's not that mutts have less things like hip dysplasia, it's that no one tracks them. I breed purebreds, and we are neurotic about every single health issue the breed has, and can tell you - offhand - everything 6 to 8 generations back.

Decide what function you want the dog to perform, then look at characteristics. Like the poster above, scent dogs are good for hunting, but not carting.

·
Banned
653 Posts
**** hounds, they let me know you're there, they will track you, and they will take you down as fast as any other large breed dog. They also run deer and any other game for hunting...

·
Registered
85 Posts
**** hounds, they let me know you're there, they will track you, and they will take you down as fast as any other large breed dog. They also run deer and any other game for hunting...
How much do they haul in a cart or saddle bag?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts