Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read on here how some of you re-use non-canning jars to can food, and I thought I'd give it a try.

Right now I'm in the process of canning salsa, and one of the jars I used was a jar that Taco Bell brand Salsa came in. The rest are canning jars.

I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sealed. Looks good. Only thing I noticed was that a lot of the water seemed to have been lost in all the jars. I may have to add a bit of water when I open them.

Well, I guess I will start saving my jars. Anyone else re-use standard jars for canning?

·
Registered
342 Posts
yup me and my twin do.. shes still using glass mayo jars from when she lived in Ms 15 yrs ago.. We also found some classico spagetti sauce jars at a salvation army here in Indy(paid 5 cents a piece for them) and they work well also..The ALFREDO jars from classico wont do tho,,the bands and lids dont fit em. Thannks for posting ur results from ur experiment with the TacoBell salsa jars,,Ive quite a collection of these and we were gonna try this fall !!

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Also, let me add.. I re-used the original lid. That was primarily my main concern - that the seal would work. And it did. Another benefit of the Taco Bell jars is that they are wide mouth.

I considered buying those spaghetti jars. It finally came down to this:

One jar:$2.00. One Can of Heinz (I think that's the brand) sauce (with more in it):98¢.

Cost of regular pint canning jar: 59¢ ($6.97/12).

I would normally get the cheaper sauce, as I'm not picky. So economically it's still better to get the cheaper sauce and buy canning jars, then to buy the spaghetti sauce in the glass jars to re-use them.

I am now going to start saving every jar I get though.

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
I have successfully canned with them in the past. Lately I have plenty of mason jars so I reuse the others for dry goods storage (pancake mix after it's opened, or dried beans, that sort of thing).

Reactions: dealfinder500

·
All over Europe
3,360 Posts
Romania has been re-using glass jars for years. Just be a little extra careful with them because many jars not specifically meant for home canning have slightly thinner glass and will break easier. Wrapping the jars individually in a couple sheets of newspaper or in a piece of cloth before putting them in the frame in the water bath will give them an extra layer of protection.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Romania has been re-using glass jars for years. Just be a little extra careful with them because many jars not specifically meant for home canning have slightly thinner glass and will break easier. Wrapping the jars individually in a couple sheets of newspaper or in a piece of cloth before putting them in the frame in the water bath will give them an extra layer of protection.
Good idea. I never thought of that. Thanks!

·
Tell the truth, coward.
15,585 Posts
i do half my produce in store-bought jars and the rest in my lovely agee or perfit ones.

Basically - when you're giving away jam, it's easier to do it in a store-bought jar. So few people give them back nowadays. (grr. :mad:)

Lids - with the cute rubber seal around the lid - i really only reuse those once. it's not worth the aggravation doing it again, one little cut in that rubber seal or one little knife ding in the lid and it won't seal properly.

·
Banned
19,284 Posts
That's funny timing!!! I was just wondering today why reusing old jars wasn't mentioned in anything I read. Someone just gave me 10 big pickle jars. Luittle rusty on the out side. I figure it's pretty easy to tell if it has a vacuum...:)

Any reason why this can't work on plastic mayo jars????:confused:

·
Tell the truth, coward.
15,585 Posts
That's funny timing!!! I was just wondering today why reusing old jars wasn't mentioned in anything I read. Someone just gave me 10 big pickle jars. Luittle rusty on the out side. I figure it's pretty easy to tell if it has a vacuum...:)

Any reason why this can't work on plastic mayo jars????:confused:
It can - the only problem being you have to bleach teh jars instead of putting them in the oven for 20 mins.

for obvious reasons. ;)

And you need to be sure the lid sealed properly, and often that involves a little white plastic insert.

I stick with glass myself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts