Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Waiting...Watching..
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not about TAKING other peoples property.

Anyone thought about using abandoned/empty properties as a bug out location. It'd seem like a waste to leave some secure out of the way house or facility abandoned during a shtf event especially if it has a well and/or defensive capabilities.

I've driven around and found a castle complete with well and heavy doors thats nothing but a tourist attraction. No one lives in it. I think I'd be pretty happy with a small group of people securing it.

Any thoughts on the possible positives or negatives of doing this? Other similar ideas?

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
In the event of a total collapse - I FEEL it would be ok to use an abandoned house/farm/etc... BUT if the owner shows up - do the right thing and leave.

I FEEL it would also be ok to check trains, semis, warehouses for items that may come in handy - BUT again only if it was a total collapse and the stuff was going to rot/be wasted/ become out dated.

I AM AGAINST STEALING - but if a train loaded with sugar was dead on the tracks and animals were getting it, or a semi truck loaded with flour upset and it was going to waste, or a house sitting back from the woods was empty and had land for a garden, or a gas tanker was dead beside the road...post S REALLY HTF...I do not see anything wrong with that.

Much would depend on the situation.......

·
Waiting...Watching..
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah sorry :D: Shouda stated this is in the event of a major non recoverable shtf not a 'Im having a bad week with the missuz - think I'll move house shtf'

·
Prepared
15,924 Posts
It's not technically stealing if the owner is dead, an abstract amalgamation of foreign investors, or otherwise doesn't enforce his boundaries (thus so-called squatter's rights). At that point, properties can become basically ownerless, waiting for a new claim.

·
Waiting...Watching..
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If there are no moral objections then I've just bagged myself a castle and saved myself $17 million in the process. yaay!

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
As the owner of a rural homested and a city house, I have been worried about this very thing. If you don't own it don't be surprised if your party starts dying around you.
People found in rural property will be considered looters by the owners and treated acordingly. As the owner with a family you are responsable for, you can't afford to risk yourself for the safety of looters. If you just run them off you will have to look over your shoulder from then on.

I read somewhere, When SHTF it may be best to show up to your own property,
with a silenced weapon and a shovel

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
If you kill the owners, it is only your,until someone else does the same thing to you.. There is no rules WTSHTF.What good is a deed, when there is no one in law enforcement to enforce it.

If people want your stuff they are going to take it.I honestly believe people or groups will have no problems taking what they believe there entitled to.The government will take control of all properties and food in a national emergency.The government owns everything including you.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
It's not technically stealing if the owner is dead, an abstract amalgamation of foreign investors, or otherwise doesn't enforce his boundaries (thus so-called squatter's rights). At that point, properties can become basically ownerless, waiting for a new claim.
Corprate properties maybe.
Private property owners have heirs. Its theirs not free for the taking.
If they come and the owners are absent and a group has moved in. They may well assume their relatives were killed and start to take revenge killings.
You could not pay me to put my family at risk by squating in someone elses property without permission.

·
Waiting...Watching..
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You could not pay me to put my family at risk by squating in someone elses property without permission.
Would you farm on unused land (if you had none) rather than just give up?

·
Banned
6,705 Posts
I as well, own rural property many many miles from where I live and I would prefer to be there in the event of such. It is a reality and one will just have to deal with it on an individual case by case.

·
Waiting...Watching..
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Would you know that the land is truly unused rather than someones hayfield?
I'd go out of my way to find out. Why eat veg when I can trade for bbq

·
Waiting...Watching..
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You can never truly be sure someone won't show up.
thats where doing your homework beforehand comes in.

What is the place?
Whats the risk?
Is it worth the risk?
Is the property owned?
Is the property derelict?
Is the property up for sale?
Neighbours, farms, closest main road

What about places where people dont live? - mines, factories, power plants, tunnels, mills , that type. As long as you and yours are safe and together with a roof over your head and the place is defendable

What we do know is - if you live urban, people will definitely show up at your door and its up to you if thats in the best interests of your family to be in that position.

Im just considering the alternatives..

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
As the owner of a rural homested and a city house, I have been worried about this very thing. If you don't own it don't be surprised if your party starts dying around you.
People found in rural property will be considered looters by the owners and treated acordingly. As the owner with a family you are responsable for, you can't afford to risk yourself for the safety of looters. If you just run them off you will have to look over your shoulder from then on.

I read somewhere, When SHTF it may be best to show up to your own property,
with a silenced weapon and a shovel
also small towns in the area will know you to be an outsider and wonder where john doe dissapeared to ans evntuallt the owner of the land/friendsand fam friends will come for blood

·
Registered
445 Posts
I'm kinda like "Uncle Bob". Give this some thought, you may have this property staked out, but I'm wondering how many others, with the same thoughts are thinking same thing? Including the "real owner"? Wonder how ya'll would feel, if you camped out on this property, and had a nice garden started, animals in the field, etc, and all of a sudden SHTF, and the owner or someone who claims they own the property shows up!!!! NOW, you are faced with a major decision. Do we go, or do we fight? Big big questions.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts