Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Merely a free thinker
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Mosin-Nagant M1891/30 Sniper with an original PU scope, and I would love to shoot it but I want to make sure that the age of the scope would not make it fragile or bad to shoot. It would be a shame to ruin a piece of history for a few rounds of fun.

Is shooting original (and old) WWII scopes like the Russian PU scope on higher caliber rifles like the 7.62x54R bad for the scope? I cant seem to find any info on this.

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
Should be fine. Make sure the screws are sorta-tight and maybe mark the screw locations (white line through the slot and out so you can see if it's still lined up later). Check every five shots for a while and be sure to check if the group opens up.

If you shoot a lot of rounds rapidly, you can expect the group to open up due to the barrel getting hot.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I could very well be wrong but I imagine an old scope will lose clarity more rapidly from heat rising off the barrel compared to a modern scope with better quality glass, too. Or am I way off track here?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I just bought a Mosin-Nagant M1891/30 Sniper with an original PU scope, and I would love to shoot it but I want to make sure that the age of the scope would not make it fragile or bad to shoot. It would be a shame to ruin a piece of history for a few rounds of fun.

Is shooting original (and old) WWII scopes like the Russian PU scope on higher caliber rifles like the 7.62x54R bad for the scope? I cant seem to find any info on this.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Just remember two things:

1) The PU was designed to be used in the field in conjunction with a 7.62x54R caliber rifle like the M-N.

2) They are as tough as the rifles they were designed for.

You should be fine using that scope as it was intended to be. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
I could very well be wrong but I imagine an old scope will lose clarity more rapidly from heat rising off the barrel compared to a modern scope with better quality glass, too. Or am I way off track here?
The larger issue is likely reflections from the lack of modern optical coatings and fogging because it's not filled with nitrogen.

I don't have issues with mine but I generally shoot it in mild conditions.

·
Red Neck American
738 Posts
Just keep it DRY.
the old scopes tend to fail/fog in wet weather. the seals inside are the issue, ad over 40- or 50 years, they get hard, shrink, crack, and that lets moisture in. once it gets wet and fogs, its toast.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Are you sure that it's an original? The Russians have been making replicas for decades.

Old scopes when brand new fogged up! They also broke internal wires.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts