Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it's possible to use the Small arms pouches for the M16 magazines to hold AK magazines? I am referring to the pouches on an ALICE load bearing belt. I have heard that you can get two AK-47 magazines into the ammo pouches for the M16 mags that hold three mags. Does anyone know if that's true? I'm putting together a suspender / belt setup and would like to set it up for AK 47 magazines

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
No, you can't. At least not with the USGI ALICE 5.56 pouch and 30-rd AK mags. Not in any practically useful sense.

Otherwise I would've during the 3+ years I was issued a Romanian AKMS while also running US ALICE LCE. The accompanying Warsaw pact ammo pouches sucked balls and could only barely be made to jury-rig fit onto US LCE.

Instead, I had a custom front-opening tactical vest sewn for 6 x AK magazines. This back in the early 1980s. 1-10 SFG(A), Bad Tölz, Germany.

Over the decades, I carried a lot of stuff (besides 5.56 mags) in those three-mag M16 pouches, to include frag grenades, PDMs, E&E kits, PVS-14s, Pogey-Bait, and patrolling utility items. I had my LCE set up with 5 of those pouches. Four for ammo and munitions. One for personal SOP utility/admin items.

Some vendors used to offer (maybe still do) universal pouches that were similar in format to the USGI 5.56 ALICE tri-mag pouch. Those commercial models were usually a bit bigger/taller and able to accept either 3 x M16 mags or 2 x 7.62 NATO or 2 x AK mags. IIRC, Blackhawk made one. Think ATS, HSGI and maybe Tactical Tailor also offered versions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah thanks for the reply I didn't think they would fit a couple of AK mags. they are handy little pouches though perfect size for a lot of stuff. Did you connect the hooks of your suspenders in the front to the tops of the ammo pouches or did you go straight to the belt? When you use those pouches for other things did you cut the grenade pouches off of them? Anyway I'll look for an alternative. I really like the fighting Load supported by the suspenders. Maybe I should get an AR for this rig LOL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It would be nice if manufacturers would consider someone may want to mount their products on an lc2 pistol belt and make provisions for that. It's a great system for managing your fighting load. There are a lot of things that would be nice to have on there that aren't available in the format

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm currently using the Condor universal pistol pouch for AK47 mags. They hold US Palm and Bulgarian Steel 30round mags. One per pouch. The velcro flap has about 2.5 inches of hookage to secure it, and the mag is completely covered. There's more available velcro to secure the AK mag than on your USGI m4 pouches of the same type. I have used the fast-draw snap retention that comes with the pistol pouch to hold the AK47 mags in an open top configuration and it works well to. Just tuck the flap in, and adjust the retention/snap to the height you need.
Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4FCA8S/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A8TP6FI59UQP8&psc=1

I'm also using one of these m16 pouches: http://www.armygear.net/ag/store/00201.html
It will not velcro or snap, but the boxed top does pull down over the top of the mag and holds it in place. It's a pain to pull that top off though if you're in a hurry.

Also happen to have a Specter Gear 200rd saw pouch. Holds 5 ak47 mags and latches closed with the buckle just fine, but it's bulky on a vest, and I can't get to the pistol reloads on my belt.
Link: https://www.amazon.com/Specter-Gear-Compatible-Modular-Operators/dp/B00RKKK19I

Pretty sure other 200rd saw pouches would fit the same if not better.

I'm definitely interested in what other folks are using.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Did you connect the hooks of your suspenders in the front to the tops of the ammo pouches or did you go straight to the belt?
Straight to belt using metal ALICE clips. You can, but I never used the little grommet tab on the back of the magazine pouch. Nor on any other ALICE style pouches. Here's why:

Each ALICE harness connection strap is supposed to support a heavy load (potentially the weight of the belt, all pouches, ammo, water, tools, etc.). The magazine pouch's metal ALICE clips were just designed to support the weight of a single full ammo pouch. More importantly... securely anchoring that weight.

By attaching the harness to that little tab on the magazine pouch... you are potentially asking those two little ALICE clips to (at times) support vastly more total weight than they were intended for. They can get bent/deformed and pull off of the pistol belt (or through the pouch channels) under heavy load. Like while you're running and snag the entire LBE rig on a protruding tree branch, fence wire obstacle, window frame, balcony rail, roof parapet, parked car door mirror, etc. Never mind when doing things like boat ops, skiing, snow machine rides, ATV ops, horseback rides, snowshoeing, parachuting, climbing, etc.

Instead, my H or Y harnesses were always clipped/tied directly into the stronger ALICE pistol belt. Harness clipped to belt and metal connector snaps taped over with several narrow wraps of earth tone duct tape or soft electrical friction tape. This provided both sound dampening and prevented the snaps from ever opening.

If you want, you can clip away the metal snaps from the harness (I have) and just use paracord loops to connect the the harness to the pistol belt. When I did that, I utilized two loops at each connection point on the belt. One paracord line looped through a grommet on the pistol belt, then through the sewn nylon loop of the harness; tie off securely and melt end of line (so that it never frays or unravels). Then a second loop of paracord through an adjacent pistol belt grommet and tied the same way. Winding up with two separate 550 cord loops anchored to separate points on the pistol belt. When you are carrying LBE mounted gear, one strand of 550 cord is not enough shock load to support the harness/pistol belt interface. Trust me on this. Use doubled anchoring points of 550 cord.

This is How Not To Do It:

This guy is relying on a single strand of paracord and two slightly melted knot ends to secure his harness to the pistol belt. Either the knots wear out and get pulled through a pistol belt grommet... or the single strand of 550 cord breaks under load. Instead, tie one loop of 550 cord through one grommet... and a second (separate) loop through the other grommet. Each of them fed separately through the sewn loop of the harness strap. That double strength attachment will see you through forces that might easily part a single strand of paracord. BTDT.

Pouches attached to belt with metal ALICE clips. Every single attached pouch additionally tied down with a loop of 550 pound paracord. Usually a single run of cord secured with a square knot, two half hitches on the ends, and I'd melt the protruding running ends with a Bic lighter. A snug length of 550 cord belted vertically around the 2.5" wide pistol belt and attached pouch. Just like this:

The 550 cord would get run through one of the pouch back channels designed to accept an ALICE metal clip. There's room for both. Stuff a length of 550 cord through a channel (using a small screwdriver blade), then insert the ALICE clip.

It sounds like overkill because metal ALICE clips rarely fail or break, but they can get snagged open or pulled out of position during strenuous activities... like parachute opening shocks.

If you do it the way I recommend, you'll never lose a pouch... and you'll never have your harness separate from your pistol belt. My military LBE typically supported about 30+ pounds worth of pouches, ammo, water, pistol, bayonet, buttpack, e-tool, survival radio, etc. Decades of heavy use while patrolling, jumping, winter snow ops, boat ops, and infantry humping.

When you use those pouches for other things did you cut the grenade pouches off of them?
On issued ones... no (because I eventually had to turn them in). On my extras (personally owned)... yes. They're not very good for actual retention of frag grenades or smokes. Once you start low crawling, or otherwise engaging in dynamic physical activity, you're very liable to lose a grenade. Seen it happen repeatedly. I kept my M67 frags inside of a triple magazine pouch. Securely protected from loss or snagging of pull pins or lever spoon safeties.

So... what else are they good for? Well, you can use them as a hanger point (using a carabiner/snap link) to attach rappel or work gloves to your LBE. Or shooting headphones. Or as a place to attach a leather pouch for lineman's pliers/wire cutters. Or as a place to hang a roll of medical tape, demolitions electrical tape, flex cuffs, brush busting goggles, life support safety lanyard, or climbing rope Swiss Seat.

Mostly, I just never used them for anything other than as a place to stow fast roping/rappel gloves. Back in the 70s, they made a handy carrier for the old D-cell USGI angle head red-filter flashlight. But I've not owned or used one of those in decades.

-----------------------------

Something else that's part of the typical ALICE M16 3-mag pouch are the two little sewn nylon divider strips at the top of the pouch's open mouth. Put there (theoretically) to keep magazines aligned upright and (theoretically) to dampen the sound of metal magazines clacking against one another.

In actual practice, the first thing I did to a new pouch was to cut those out with a pair of scissors. Pretty useless and unnecessary feature. They just keep you from using the widest diameter of the pouch for storage of utility items. They get in the way of your fingers trying to fish around inside of the pouch to retrieve things like a small flashlight, water treatment tablets, camouflage stick, bug spray, chemlites, handi-talkie, PVS-14, etc.

They don't do that good of a job at silencing magazines anyway. And once things have gone Loud... they are an impediment to rapidly stowing empty mags you haven't already dropped. They're just in the way.

In actual practice, magazines can be carried silently in the field merely by folding any small piece of scrap cardboard in half and inserting it between magazines resting in the pouch. MRE cardboard entrée pouches work great for that. So will a smashed flat cigarette pack. So will damn near anything you pick up from the ground or a litter pile. So do most small box cartons (flattened) that loaded cartridges come in.

------------------

Here's a link to M4/AK47 magazine pouches from Voodoo Tactical. They're not the very best tactical gear maker in the word, but they'll do. Inexpensive, decent enough closure, they'll hold your AK magazines, come in multiple colors/patterns, they'll mount on ALICE belts... and they're in-stock. Pretty much the combo you need:

https://armysurpluswarehouse.com/m-4-ak47-mag-pouches-double-20-7218/

Reactions: Cornly2

·
Registered
18 Posts
Does anyone know if it's possible to use the Small arms pouches for the M16 magazines to hold AK magazines? I am referring to the pouches on an ALICE load bearing belt. I have heard that you can get two AK-47 magazines into the ammo pouches for the M16 mags that hold three mags. Does anyone know if that's true? I'm putting together a suspender / belt setup and would like to set it up for AK 47 magazines
Just buy one of the cheap Chinese Chicom 3 or 4 (I recommend 4) pouch ammo vest's, they really do work well.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Here's a link to pouches that fit AKmags (and not).

·
Semper Fi
8,661 Posts
At one point there were ALICE mag pouches available for the AK47. Iirc they were for an early attempt at outfitting the Iraqi's after we kicked out Sadam.

I just did a search though and the place I remember selling them no longer has them listed on their site.

If you are intent on staying with an ALICE setup, you can mount MOLLE pouches to it.

·
Space Force Recruit
1,351 Posts
My ALICE pouches will fit two surplus 30rd 7.62x39 mags but only one magpul and tapco. Will fit any 20rder just fine.

My suggestion: get rid of the ALICE belt to one of the MOLLE compatible inner/outer belt systens. I made the switch this year and it’s a MUCH better way to carry ****. I run a 5.56 ak.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just bought a few of those Chicom 4 mag chest rigs for 8 bucks each and free shipping on ebay...just sayin! BTW did you know that 6 .12 ga shells fit in each pocket of a SKS ammo rig? Just sayin some more.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Look into Beez combat systems. I have a multicam AK chest rig that holds 4 mags with built in slots and bunjies to hold them in place with MOLLE on the front for other pouches. I think I paid less than $100 for it. Made in USA to order and there’s like a dozen or more colors/camos to pick from and can also add/subtract the amount of mags you want.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts