Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
View attachment 53260

I decided to use some of my food preps for dinner today just to show what good meals can be made with them. The beans were from storage that were put in a bucket about 8 years ago, I used a can of bacon spam and onions from my garden to flavor them. I ground the cornmeal and added a little honey to make it a sweet cornbread. The tomatoes were from my garden. I picked the peaches and made the jam for the bread, but not today. The only thing store bought was the butter. Meal fit for a king!

·
I Dig the Dirt
177 Posts
Well Done!! I LOVE seeing what people do with their storage!! :thumb:

Last Thanksgiving I made an entire meal out of Food Storage, except the butter, which was store bought. I hadn't tested our Dehydrated Butter at that time and didn't want to mess up the meal.

I used Home Canned Turkey, Turkey Gravy from a dry packet but used the liquid from the Turkey jar for added flavor, made Dressing from fresh ground wheat and homemade wheat bread baked in the Solar Oven, Cranberry Sauce from a can and added a few drops of Orange Extract to give it the flavor I like (DH won't touch the stuff), Sweet Potatoes with Apples both from cans but made homemade Marshmallows for the topping, Rutabaga and Squash from the garden and an Apple Pie made with homemade Graham Crackers and Oats from storage to make the crust and canned apples leftover from the Sweet Potato/Apple dish. It took a couple of days to plan and prepare and while we weren't sure we were initially ready to "sacrifice" a traditional Holiday meal, turns out it was perfect for the two of us and was a great confidence building exercise for me.

I haven't done anything this "extravagant" since, but it's always nice to know what we're capable of doing with what we have on hand, especially when the hard times hit. :)

Attachments

·
uber nerd
194 Posts
I eat that way every day. I've eaten out of my food storage for years now, and almost exclusively for the last 2. That's how you really learn to cook well with it.
That's the key to prepping, using what you store EVERY DAY. I recently had to take a large box of nearly expired pasta roni and canned spaghetti-ohs to the food pantry. Why store so much canned pasta that my family turns their nose up at? Waste of money. Tonight I made a rigatoni casserole with stored pasta, canned tomatoes and pasta sauce from the garden, canned cheese, (first time I had tried it, not bad) and canned sausage. The only thing not from the preps was the dollops of fresh ricotta, and we could easily do without it. It was much better than anything Chef Boyardee could produce! Thanks to the previous posters for the photos, really cool and inspiring!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts