Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I've seen this some place :confused: I've seen this mentioned that in a pinch you can use finely ground expresso beans as a substitute to Quik-Clot? I suppose it's possible? I recall that it said something about an exotic type of bean. Do you fellows have any knowledge of this? Some kind of chemical in the bean?

Davebert

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
coffee beans do have a knumbing effect on nerves, i have used it for tooth aches with success.
I think that's part of what I can recall. Thanks!

I had an old friend that was a Mormon missionary to South America that told me about the tribal peoples and the different plant that they use. I can ask him if he knows anything about it.

·
Banned
2,077 Posts
I think that's part of what I can recall. Thanks!

I had an old friend that was a Mormon missionary to South America that told me about the tribal peoples and the different plant that they use. I can ask him if he knows anything about it.
OOOH please do. Also see if he's got any more good remidies.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
OK so I am a coffee a-hall-lick that means I should not bleed ???? I think I will stick with Quick Clot

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
Good quick clot substitutes:

Instant Grits
Corn Starch
Powdered sugar

Reactions: Maverick88

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
When my turtle fell down the stairs and cracked his shell (thick jello like blood) the vet told me to make a paste with corn starch and water and slap it on. Worked like a charm and he lived for ten more years.

·
Registered
249 Posts
i know tea bags moistened work the best for little cuts and oral wounds. whatever you do dont use salt, as it leaves pretty bad scarring. also it hurts. i prefer celox hemostatic granules, but they are expensive and i end up going with Quik-clot. be careful with both of those as they cause a exothermic(they make heat) reaction that can cause burns to skin if not monitored carefully. fire works too, but has the same problems as salt, only worse. all things considered, if you cant afford the two brands above, chances are straight pressure is the best. oh and dont let wounded people drink or smoke, it just makes things worse.

oh and i just remembered, there is some type of spray you can get for hemophiliacs that causes clotting and i think its pretty cheap.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Quikclot is actually manufacturing a lesser exothermic product now for EMS services. I believe it gets no hotter than 108 degrees, which is still damned warm but tolerable.

·
Registered
169 Posts
For minor bleeding, old time farmers have taken spider webs (which are usually to be found in barns) and used that to stop bleeding.
Another item to have on hand which would not be a 'quick' help but over the course of a day or two is to go to your local health food store and find Citrus Bioflavanoids. It is little known Vit. P...one pill a day and you'd be surprised how it helps in a matter of a few days. Has many other attributes to it..Look up info for more health benefits. For bleeding, it helps strengthen the blood vessels.

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
Whatever happened to good old direct pressure with a clean dressing? It really is the best thing to stop bleeding.
If you shove coffee, sugar, grits, gravel or whatever into a wound, it may or may not stop the bleeding but who's gonna clean that stuff out and treat the resulting infection? Even in a minor wound, adding dirty stuff can result in a major infection that you may not be able to properly treat.
I'd buy plenty of dressings and a nice supply of quickclot in various sizes.
If grits worked, the South might have won the war!:D:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts