Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Added another shotgun to my collection and now have 4 guns (2 rifles, 2 shotguns). Figure it's about time to properly secure my firearms. The research I've done so far indicates that a cheap gun safe isn't worth the time of day... However, I'm on a pretty tight budget (my latest shotgun was a gift). I don't want to spend $200 on a gun safe right now only to spend $1500 on one in 5-10 years down the road, and be left with an undesirable POS safe that nobody wants to buy. I figure with the money I have now, I'd rather buy something with multiple purposes. Thus: I'd like to repurpose a contractor's truck box into a gun safe. Truck boxes lock and are just as heavy duty as a gun safe is, if not moreso for equivalent pricepoints, and also have an actual function as tool storage in a truckbed... Whereas a cheap gun safe can only be either a cheap gun safe or garbage.

Most other containers I've been able to find are not large enough to accommodate longer rifles / shotgun barrels, which is how I arrived at the truck box idea. They can be found between 60-70" wide, have room to accommodate my firearms, and additional storage for ammunition or other small valuables I'd like to hang on to.

For reference, here's what I'm talking about:

Does any have any feedback as to whether or not using a truck box as a makeshift gun safe (stored inside my home, with a blanket over it in the closet) would be effective? Has anybody else here thought of easy and cheap ways to conceal firearms within their home rather than use a traditional gun safe?

·
Soulless Ginger
391 Posts
I think your onto something in ways of saving money. I would Bolt the box down to the floor. Also would bolt on a hasp and add an extra heavy lock. When theives steal gun safe they break them open later on. Its best to not allow the safe to ever be removed from the house.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I would try every which way to secure any guns. In the twin city area, a lot of Asian gangs have been hitting gun shops and houses. I know they are able to even open good safes in no matter time…I actually think that there is a video on you tube.

I’m not sure how many times this has happened locally, if you have your safe where you live at street level. The gangs/others have pulled it out, through the wall either using a chain or a tow truck.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I like your thinking. I'm not a big fan of gun safes (I also don't have a lot of guns. If I did, I might think differently), because they scream THERE ARE GUNS INSIDE! And I like the ideas of hiding things "in plain sight."

Two things to consider:
1) If you're going to "improvise" a safe, it either needs to be really secure (bolted into floor, etc), or really unattractive to thieves. If I were a thief, I might want to look in a toolbox. Maybe? I don't know...I'm not a thief!
2) Fire resistance? That would be my big concern.

Good thought!

·
gagged
3,833 Posts
my dh has an old sheet metal job box he bought used for $50 that is as big as a gun safe and almost as heavy. Something like that would be good, to help fireproof it you could line it with 2 layers of drywall.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I would put a aftermarket lock on it - all the tool boxes I have ever seen just have cheap desk type locks

even still I think you would be alot better off just hidding your weapons - A tool box is going to be one of the first things a thief looks in espically a well secured/locked one. Tools are expensive and ez to sell anywear

I seen someone use a school locker set-up once

·
Hunter, Photographer
748 Posts
I would hide them before I put them in a gun box honestly. They really dont take much to break into. As someone said before, steel would be more preferable but by the time you bough that you could find a friend with a welder to help you make something stouter out of steel (scrap). 4 guns wouldn't need a very large space. Make sure, whatever you to, you bolt it to the floor.

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
save your cash and buy a safe. 250 buys you enough safe for your needs right now. when you grow buy a bigger safe and sale your old safe. do it right or not at all.

·
I have issues
2,507 Posts
I knew a guy several year ago who took an old hot water heater, cut it open and gutted it. Then installed a lazy susan type shelf in the bottom and used this for gun storage. Thing is he included pipes going into the wall and it looked like real working hot water heater.

As for the truck tool box, take a look at the Ranch hand line. These are much bigger than the one you have pictured. Bed of truck to top, so much deeper. Also made of steel with receased lock points for pad locks.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
- One time I thought about putting in a false plumbing vent in on my PVC waste line, Just tye in a 3" or 4" T/Y on the line and plumb it up into a pluming wall glueing all but the lenth of pipe going up into the wall, and of coarse puting a lead plug somewear above the T / Y

·
Banned
46,784 Posts
Find a steel one - drop it into one of those wood things that the women folk keep at the end of the bed - or build a blanket chest around it -- bolt it to the bedroom floor :thumb:

Or - or -- stand it up in a closet or cabinet - bolt it to the wall ----

·
Registered
814 Posts
I think it depends, if you have kids around definitely LOCK them up (my issue). Also, I have alot of industrial "inventory" here and there are several VERY heavy switch gear boxes from Bell Atlantic, and perhaps another of unknown industrial origin. They are NICE and would make great gun safes. I would look around a bit, some times local scrap yards will keep interesting electrical switch boxes around for resale.

·
Registered
696 Posts
How about a trashed upright freezer or full-sized fridge without a freezer on top? Should be able to get one for free and nobody will spare it a second thought (unless they're thirsty). Ammo in the door. Insulated to help with climate control.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
How about a trashed upright freezer or full-sized fridge without a freezer on top? Should be able to get one for free and nobody will spare it a second thought (unless they're thirsty). Ammo in the door. Insulated to help with climate control.
Oooooo I love this idea. I think I'll use a deep freezer. Even if I put a hasp on it people will just think that's to keep kids out.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts