Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I live in a major city that gets really bad winters. I am always afraid of what if the power goes out and I am unable to heat my house.

I DON'T have anyway to install a wood burning stove and I just thought about using a chiminea like http://www.amazon.com/Deeco-DM-6035J-IA-Western-Basket-Chiminea/dp/B006HZ5YHG/ref=lp_3742201_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1378946109&sr=1-10 inside the house with a flexible vent pipe going out a window with some sort of window block to keep the cold air from coming in.

this would be in case of emergency and I can just install it as needed.

My first thought is the carbon monoxide would kill us, but would this be a viable idea?

as always Thanks!!

·
Registered
365 Posts
there are ways to do this correctly but it involves using a cheap wood burning stove, one made to use stove pipe. The window must have an opening of at least 2ft x 2ft, sheet metal plug that fits tight, run stove pipe thru the center of it and out then up. There must be more up pipe than across pipe for it to draft. Keep fire extinguisher close. I hope you can find a better way.

·
reluctant sinner
20,170 Posts
Could be done better with an air tight Taiwan copy of the air tight Jodel stove. Sheet metal window closure with proper elliptical opening for your stove pipe on angle. A few sheets of Hardy backer board to protect the floor and walls would be good to have. Make sure pipe clears the eves.

Full size stainless pipe is best.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Vogelzan...od-Burning-Stove-BX26E/203630367#.UjEZMojnZjo

I had one like this once. I took it apart new and re assembled it with furnace cement in the joints. A small fire outside in the back yard to burn off the oil/paint. After the bottom is filled with ash lay in some fire brick and use lump coal. Stinks but stores well and will keep a fire overnight. Big stainless steel stock will heat water and with cast iron you can cook on the stove too.

·
Banned
143 Posts
Don't use the chiminea indoors - it will kill you.
If you want to do what you are talking about get a wood stove that is air tight and put two holes in your widow block. On for air intake for the stove and the other one for the stove pipe. Mount it (the stove) on a thick tile slab or brick platform to keep from burning your floor.

Kerosine heater kill a lot of people every year because of carbon monoxide and oxygen depletion. You have to supply air to whatever you are burning in addition to what you are breathing.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a big buddy propane heater and a kerosene heater, but feel both are not long term uses do to carbon monoxide building up. Also they would run out of fuel. Wood is everywhere.

My biggest issue with a wood stove is its portability. I really don't have room for a permanent install, and moving the heavy ass thing would be tough.

Also, either way I would have to make the stack go up past the roof peak?

·
reluctant sinner
20,170 Posts
The one I listed is 125#, fairly easy two person moveable. Your stack does not need to be higher than the peak but does need to clear the eve and go up from there several feet. Sheet metal screws into the joints of the pipe is a good trick. Work out the layout before you need it. Crack a window in another room to allow for fresh air intake to make up for combustion air.

Lots of wood around today, but the easy wood will be gone in days as soon as everyone and their dog is burning it in the barby to make soup.

·
Banned
143 Posts
Use a small wood stove - one that measures 12" wide 18" deep and 20" high. It can be made of 1/8" steel and weigh less than 40 pounds. I have built some before for our place in NE WA. for a 12 x 20 foot a frame and it was more than enough to keep the place warm.

·
Registered
8,463 Posts
I have one for my back-up to my back-up of several other methods of emergency heating methods .... would only go that direction if a SHTF is looking to go wayyyyyyyyy extended to a possible near TEOTWAWKI ..... I'll start my convert with plenty of time to get it correct .... you can't do a slap up job and hope to live thru it .....

·
Registered
469 Posts
I wouldn't do that.. I've seen them crack, and then you would have hot coals on the floor. I would liik into something like this:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Outf...=58017909551&gclid=CJ6aktLOxrkCFSpk7AodWCsAkQ

these are designed to be used inside canvas tents, and some can be found for under $100.00. you can also get the fire proof (resistant?) mats for the floor and wall to shield them. this one also has a water tank for heating water.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.