Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently found a battery powered light(12v), that has two fluorescent tubes:

One is a standard white fluorescent bulb, and the other is a black-light fluorescent bulb.

The switch gives me the choice of turning on the white light or the black light.
--------------------------------------------------
I have heard something about how a black-light is helpful while camping out, but didn’t get any details.

Does anyone know, what a black light can be used for.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
A black light can be helpful when trying to determine if an area has been decontaminated. Take your black light into the bathroom with the lights out and shine it on the area around the toilet. The filth will light up for you. GB YOu can see the germs on the surfaces. It may make you not want to go to the bathroom. It is also another reason to have a very good 256 grade disinfectant cleaner. 256 refers to the dilution rate for the cleaner. a gallon is 128 ounces. A 256 cleaner will dilute at 1/2 ounce per gallon.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Didn't know about the scorpions. You also can write a message on a wall with murine eye wash. It does not appear until you shine the black lite on it. Put some in your eyes and turn on the black lite. Makes a great Halloween look.

·
1,794 Posts
I always take mine with me but not for survival purposes. It would be interesting to know of more uses for it. Mine is used for finding specific minerals during rockhounding trips.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is what I found out........

Black lights can be helpful for the following:
* Antique inspection;
* Art forgery/repair tests;
* Detecting some bacterias;
* Club hand stamp screening;
* Fabric and Textiles;
* Fluorescent dye leaks;