Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I live this form
12,202 Posts
http://west.loadup.com/military/surplus/13218.html

well I got one of these of e-bay for $90 plus $40 shipping!!
sweet.

anyone else got one of these? do you machine wash these in cold water and dry inside out ?
I have the newer MARPAT version. Washing in cold, delicate, and low dryer setting has worked well for me. Make sure not to use dryer sheets.

I've never washed the bivy, but hosed it off and then line-dried.

$90 is a pretty good deal for all four pieces, even used.

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
I have heard good things, and for $30 more you can get one new in a box. Did it specify the length of the bag your getting? I have heard there is a regular and a long or tall size?

Reactions: joes

·
You looking at me!
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im not sure about the length but im average size so its all good.
Now the ACU pattern is standard there will be an influx of these woodland camo versions.

·
Misfit Toy
2,185 Posts
I have put together several of these now. I went ape on individual components until I had enough for us.

I'm just keeping two, one for my son, one for myself. I paid $25 each for three new gortex bivy's. Bought two new patrol bags (OD Green) for $26 each and then two new intermediate bags (Black) for $35-$40 each.

I have one set of used, vg condition patrol & intermediate bag to make up the third. Picked up the compression bags for $5 each, new.

Sounds like you got a good deal as well. Provided it's in good shape.

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
I have put together several of these now. I went ape on individual components until I had enough for us.

I'm just keeping two, one for my son, one for myself. I paid $25 each for three new gortex bivy's. Bought two new patrol bags (OD Green) for $26 each and then two new intermediate bags (Black) for $35-$40 each.

I have one set of used, vg condition patrol & intermediate bag to make up the third. Picked up the compression bags for $5 each, new.

So you purchased the USGI sysem in parts and then just put together what you needed? did you notice if they had varying sizes (length) for the bags?

Reactions: joes

·
You looking at me!
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Yea it was listed as VERY GOOD condition and ive used the store before so I know their gears good.
Its gonna go in my SUV as an emergency winter warmer.

·
Keeper of Tomes
1,704 Posts
So you purchased the USGI sysem in parts and then just put together what you needed? did you notice if they had varying sizes (length) for the bags?
Its a USGI system. General Issue. One sizes fits all. Still i got a buddy thats 6'5" and he did well with it. It's a heavy system but works very well. I have both the ACU and Woodland. The newer ACU versions are lighter but dont keep you as warm. Its not a big deal if you live in Georgia but it would suck if you lived in Michigan.

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
Its a USGI system. General Issue. One sizes fits all. Still i got a buddy thats 6'5" and he did well with it. It's a heavy system but works very well. I have both the ACU and Woodland. The newer ACU versions are lighter but dont keep you as warm. Its not a big deal if you live in Georgia but it would suck if you lived in Michigan.
Im 6'4 so good but you say its cold rating isnt down there? not even with all bags? How does it do with rain in say a semi open lean to type shelter?

·
Keeper of Tomes
1,704 Posts
Im 6'4 so good but you say its cold rating isnt down there? not even with all bags? How does it do with rain in say a semi open lean to type shelter?
I'm not saying that. I'm saying if you have the choice between the old woodland style and the newer ACU style go with the woodland. Its warmer. If like me you live in GA then the ACU will work if your look to shed some weight.

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
I'm not saying that. I'm saying if you have the choice between the old woodland style and the newer ACU style go with the woodland. Its warmer. If like me you live in GA then the ACU will work if your look to shed some weight.
ahhh ok thank for clearing that up. I dont mind the weight, Im gearing up to use a truck bed tent and all gear would be in the bed.

·
Keeper of Tomes
1,704 Posts
ahhh ok thank for clearing that up. I dont mind the weight, Im gearing up to use a truck bed tent and all gear would be in the bed.
I'd go with the woodland. The ACU it seems wasnt build quite as good as the woodland patterned one. I had the woodland one and my wife had the ACU one last deployment and hers seemed to wear faster. I mean we were sleeping on rock shards which i doubt you will be doing. Both are good systems though.

·
Misfit Toy
2,185 Posts
Mine are the Woodland camo issue. If the **** goes down, it'll be in that environment for me. I thrive there.

I went with components so I could buy a little at a time since I wanted three.

I can find the components (bivy, compression sack, patrol & intermediate) new, seperately; but it's difficult to find all four pieces new and complete for under $100.

I'm 6'0 so size or length isn't a concern for me.

·
Psalm 31:3
443 Posts
Cheftothestars,

The USGI system is the one I went with and I am very pleased with it. One night the temps dipped into the 20s so I threw open my bedroom windows, laid the the sleeping bag on my bed atop the comfortor and jumped in. It was cold but the bag warmed up quickly and kept me toasty all night long. I'm 6"1" and weight 230 and there was plenty of room in the bag despite it being a mummy style bag. I think you'll be happy with the your choice.

·
Keeper of Tomes
1,704 Posts
Mine are the Woodland camo issue. If the **** goes down, it'll be in that environment for me. I thrive there.

I went with components so I could buy a little at a time since I wanted three.

I can find the components (bivy, compression sack, patrol & intermediate) new, seperately; but it's difficult to find all four pieces new and complete for under $100.

I'm 6'0 so size or length isn't a concern for me.
For you up in the frozen north Raven i'd go with two black bags and a bivy. That combination really turns up the heat.

·
Keeper of Tomes
1,704 Posts

·
Misfit Toy
2,185 Posts
For you up in the frozen north Raven i'd go with two black bags and a bivy. That combination really turns up the heat.
Holy smokes, bro...I never thought of that. Thanks:)

Also: Anyone looking for a deece deal on one of these, here's the ebay item #: 400087406257

·
I have control issues
6,383 Posts
I've never washed the bivy, but hosed it off and then line-dried.
I washed my bivy, because of the hairbal from heck dog had gotten it covered. Wash in cold water (with scent killer, UV block wash I use for my hunting gear), tumble dry on low heat. It came out great. (Got rid of the hair)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts