Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Contents Under Pressure
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to add a sleep system to my BOB. I've narrowed it down between these two.

I'm looking for opinions, likes, and dislikes.

Thanks In Advance,

Pro-Pain

(P.S. I'm on the mid-east coast. Fairly hot summers, and moderate winters.)

·
Keeper of Tomes
1,704 Posts
The USGI Sleep System has done me very well for many years now. However, it is big and heavy. Personally, I feel that its worth the weight and room. My only gripe is the stuff sacks have a tendancy to break when you're packing up in a real hurry. Like you're about to miss your helo home type hurry. Other then that its awesome and will keep you warm and dry in most CONUS situations.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Recon 3 Sleeping Bag
NATO STOCK NO 66-146-06-76
* 2 Season Bag in one
forces, Cyprus special Operations Group, SOG,s Scandinavian
etc
* Zip in zip out mosquito net
* 60g/m2 DuPont® Thermalite micro filling *
* Extra layer of DuPont® filling at chest area for extra warmth where it
is needed
* Weight approx 1300 grams
* Size 240 x 80 x 55 cm
* Inner Shell 210 T/ Rip stop nylon
* Outer shell 210 T/ Rip stop nylon
* Baffle circle foot inside and out
* Inner and outer hanging tabs for washing and drying
* Re-enforced at bottom with 210D nylon oxford p.u. coated and up to calf
(so you can sleep with boots on)
* All seams binded
* Two way double slider heavy duty No 8 Spiral zip
* Anti snag zip with Velcro tab closure
* Draw cord and barrel lock in hood
* Temp rated - 5 oC * (23 F)
* Shaped Hood for extra comfort
* waterproof 2000g/mm 100% oxford material extra layer on rear
keeps the moisture from rising up from the floor
* Flat filled not quilted, means no cold spots **
* Packed in waterproof spider stuff sack (18 x 16 cm)
* Pure silver ultra thin micro fibre layer in filling offers anti-bacterial
properties as well as increased thermal properties *
In military use world wide .
http://www.extremeoutfitters.us/recon3sleepingbag.aspx

I know little of the above, but the details show it to be a 2 Season Bag and very light. The strength of the USGI Sleep System is it is a 4 Season bag. Summer, leave the black bag at home and use the green patrol bag. In cold winter, use all three layers. The USGI works great! Gore-Tex bivy bag, two zip-in/snap-in bags and a compression bag that can be mixed and matched to suit your requirements for warmth. I used mine in the Japanese Alps, Alaska, Maine, Minn., etc. I use a GI ground mat and Gore-Tex bivy deal with the rain.

Of the two, the USGI bag looks like the best deal.

·
Pacific NW Survivalist
186 Posts
Where can you buy a USGI modular sleep system "new"?

I've done a little searching, but only found them "used" at surplus stores online. Used may not be bad, but I just hate buying something used online without being able to inspect it first hand.

·
Simmer down now
1,711 Posts
Decidion, check ebay, but be very cautious. There seem to be a lot of chinese knock-offs that are being passed off as genuine GI.

I pieced together the entire system through ebay, the bivy was brand new but the two bags were listed as slightly used. I contacted the sellers first and asked questions, had photos sent etc. Both bags, after washing them, look brand new.

I'm very happy with the MSS, so much flexibility. I just used the bivy, black bag, a closed cell foam mat, and a bag liner over the weekend. It was 18 degrees when I woke up and I was nice and toasty warm. I'm sure I would be comfortable in below zero temps with the green bag added to the mix.

YMMV

·
Keeper of Tomes
1,704 Posts
Where can you buy a USGI modular sleep system "new"?

I've done a little searching, but only found them "used" at surplus stores online. Used may not be bad, but I just hate buying something used online without being able to inspect it first hand.
www.sportsmansguide.com has them in very good shape. To my knowledge you cant buy one brand new unless you find one in its original package on ebay.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a Recon 3 and also the R4 and R5 bags.
As stated above the R3 is very light and only a 2 season bag, but it is very compact and fits nicely into most 3 day packs that I have used. Add the R3 into the R4 and you get a lot more flexibility for the operational range, but still at less bulk the the GI system.

The best feature of the Recon bags IMHO is the PU coating inside by your feet, so the bag does not wet out from nasty boots. And also the PU coating on the underside of the bag, it makes life under a 'cho so much better. Having the top of the bags uncoated makes the whole system breath a lot better than a bag in a bivi bag set up.
The light weight and small size of the Recon bags makes them a much better option for me than the bulk of the GI sleep system.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm in need of a Recon 3. I've done the research, and a Recon 3 suites me perfectly. Where did you get yours from? I've seen them go for around $70 before online, but cant find anywhere near those prices now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I use two. One is an old style intermediate cold weather with the 4 part goretex bivy cover and one complete 4 part goretex. Hard to compress and get back into the carry bad but it will definitely keep you dry! Definitely use the pad underneath to keep the ground cold from coming through.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I got mine from Extreme Outfitters; Branned posted a link above.

EO has amazing customer service, I would order from them again, in a second.

My Recon 3 was in my pack for a week last year while I was living at 10,000 and moving daily. At elevation like that smaller and lighter play a big roll on what you choose to pack. But at the same time I would not hesitate to pack my Recon 4 for a another month long, unsupported canoe trip in the Canadian Arctic.

Who ever posted on sleeping pads, I'm a big fan of tapered 3/4 length pads for temperate climate and jungle/desert use and full length pads plus my 3/4 pad during colder months or in the winter. The addition of a pad makes you a lot more comfortable and also adds insulation over cold ground.
I also like the ThermaRest system the converts into a chair. The added back support is nice after a long day with a pack on or after a long day in a canoe. Also the small amount of added weight and volume more than pays it's self back in comfort and relaxation. Both the comfort and relaxation help you recover for another hard effort the following day.

·
Pacific NW Survivalist
186 Posts

·
Survivor
53 Posts
The MSS is really good,but the weight.......
If you are only using the Bivybag and the summer sleepingbag, then it is ok.
But all together? Like a Bag of stones:xeye:

Just my 2 cents

Regards

Joe

·
Registered
33 Posts
Armygear.net has them brand new and used for a steal. I think the used are like 89 bucks and there def of used is great. I got my molle pack from them used and it all came in the packaging still new. They are a great website. Dealt with them many times

·
Contents Under Pressure
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all of the input. I ended up building of MSS off of a few lucky eBay auctions. While it is a bit on the heavy side, I'm still pretty happy with it, and would recommend them to anyone.

Thanks Again,

Pro-Pain

·
Banned
348 Posts
cheaper than dirt has the older style MSS in stock for about $130. It's just like what the National guard issued me in 2007. The System is really awesome, and super warm. but like the others mentioned earlier. It's really heavy and bulky.

·
I am Jody
2,203 Posts
The MSS is heavy but in my opinion well worth the price when its cold outside. I dont really have have any valid complaints about mine, I bought it new and I'm hoping I can wear it out in a couple of years.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts