Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I work for a place that generates surplus used steel drum containers. A co worker said they sell them in the company store. I finally went in and asked about them. I was told five bucks for them by the co worker. Fact is they only want two dollars for these things that sell for 300 to 400 new. So I picked one up. I had some electronics in a steel trash can as a faraday cage. Some metalized tape and cardboard inside rounded it out but it was ugly. The drum I picked up replaces it. I can use it to set my amp on and covered with a white bath blanket it's not so ugly now and a ton more space to add more. Photo shows black. The ones I get are green.

I can buy as many as I want. Any ideas on uses prepping or otherwise?
Camera lens Human body Camera accessory Lens Cameras & optics

·
Michigander
1,408 Posts
Assuming you have the storage space and place for the barrels...

I'd start with a specific barrel for each area of storage:

All based on CLEAN barrels and lined with Black Bag:
MARK the outside clearly. Put an Inventory List INSIDE and OUT

Clothing. Spare kids sizes for next year, etc.
Automotive fluids. Gallon jugs of whatever your vehicle needs.
Automotive Spare parts. Spark plugs, hoses, etc.
Burning Barrel: Just needs some air holes drilled in.
Food: the obvious choice. Filled with Mylar bags
Water: Maybe 5 gal containers inside, water bricks, etc. Insulated.
Pet food: Bags of critter fuel.
Grains: Corn, Wheat, etc.
Fire Starters: Pinecones, twigs, kindling
Fuels: K-1, Motor Oil, etc
Salt
Sand
Stacks of Pre 64 Silver coins! LOL, . . . I wish

I could keep going, but you get the idea.
ANYTHING that needs to be in a secure, insect & rodent free place.

Just wish I had more space. My limit is about 5

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What were the original contents? Man, I’d buy 20 of them if I found a deal like that.
Not sure tho I can ask. I work for an ammuniton plant so I hear they use some chemicals in the process. They are cleaned out before sold. Does not seem to be any residue or smell at all in them. Off hand I can get two more and load them up with junk that's currently in my shed, junk but not so much that I want to throw it out yet. Talking auto parts that still have life left in them that could be used in an economic depression sitaution if I can't buy a new replacement. Wonder i the two tires I got in there would fit. Stuff that is not sensitive to heat and cold variations can go in there. I have an area in back the shed that is covered by a tarp for shade and they would rest on a bed fo rocks so water would run off and dry the times when the tarp is in bad shape before I replace it twice a year Etc. Need more room in that shed for sure.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Not sure tho I can ask. I work for an ammuniton plant so I hear they use some chemicals in the process. They are cleaned out before sold. Does not seem to be any residue or smell at all in them. Off hand I can get two more and load them up with junk that's currently in my shed, junk but not so much that I want to throw it out yet. Talking auto parts that still have life left in them that could be used in an economic depression sitaution if I can't buy a new replacement. Wonder i the two tires I got in there would fit. Stuff that is not sensitive to heat and cold variations can go in there. I have an area in back the shed that is covered by a tarp for shade and they would rest on a bed fo rocks so water would run off and dry the times when the tarp is in bad shape before I replace it twice a year Etc. Need more room in that shed for sure.
See if they’ll let you fill just one measly barrel with finished goods. They won’t miss it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
See if they’ll let you fill just one measly barrel with finished goods. They won’t miss it.
They sell us all the factory seconds ammo we can eat and dirt cheap too. I would be free to wheel in a barrel and pack it with all the ammo I want at the reduced prices sure. I think however Id have rrom to spare even If I bought all the ammo on the shelves. What I really want tho like FMJ 38 special they rarley have. I am told its rare to find rifle ammo there. I should have picked up more 308 when I had the chance. They do have box per day limits tho on most items.

If you mean I should steal any ammo, you take a single bullet and it's a felony. Not worth loss of the job either. The only thing we can't buy there are bullets for the government, FBI and DHLS that are filled with a poly substances that makes the bullet stay on it's trajectory when passing through windshileds. You could probably buy some hollow points and add your own silicon to them and get some like results tho. I love working for the place. Been there a year. Best job I ever had.

My advice to any service workers out there. NEVER take a job with a hospital where by you are part of a contracted team like house keeping or food servies. Got horror stories about that baloney.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
They sell us all the factory seconds ammo we can eat and dirt cheap too. I would be free to wheel in a barrel and pack it with all the ammo I want at the reduced prices sure. I think however Id have rrom to spare even If I bought all the ammo on the shelves. What I really want tho like FMJ 38 special they rarley have. I am told its rare to find rifle ammo there. I should have picked up more 308 when I had the chance. They do have box per day limits tho on most items.

If you mean I should steal any ammo, you take a single bullet and it's a felony. Not worth loss of the job either. The only thing we can't buy there are bullets for the government, FBI and DHLS that are filled with a poly substances that makes the bullet stay on it's trajectory when passing through windshileds. You could probably buy some hollow points and add your own silicon to them and get some like results tho. I love working for the place. Been there a year. Best job I ever had.

My advice to any service workers out there. NEVER take a job with a hospital where by you are part of a contracted team like house keeping or food servies. Got horror stories about that baloney.
No, stealing it sounds like a terrible idea. Nothing good can come of it.

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
Not user friendly with the whole concept of theft myself. They cost $55 here all cleaned out and shiney. Dayton is s drive away and as BC city so a neverrndingbbn supply. You can also make barrel stoves out of them. The better your fabrication skills and tools, the better your result. They are quite common here to heat polebarns. Combined with tubing and a blower, they are excellent.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Not user friendly with the whole concept of theft myself. They cost $55 here all cleaned out and shiney. Dayton is s drive away and as BC city so a neverrndingbbn supply. You can also make barrel stoves out of them. The better your fabrication skills and tools, the better your result. They are quite common here to heat polebarns. Combined with tubing and a blower, they are excellent.
I can get open top food grade for $25, when they have any, but I have to drive all the way to Denver. It used to be a nice place, but now I try to avoid it like a good case of monkey pox.

·
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
14,840 Posts
So I work for a place that generates surplus used steel drum containers. A co worker said they sell them in the company store. I finally went in and asked about them. I was told five bucks for them by the co worker. Fact is they only want two dollars for these things that sell for 300 to 400 new. So I picked one up. I had some electronics in a steel trash can as a faraday cage. Some metalized tape and cardboard inside rounded it out but it was ugly. The drum I picked up replaces it. I can use it to set my amp on and covered with a white bath blanket it's not so ugly now and a ton more space to add more. Photo shows black. The ones I get are green.

I can buy as many as I want. Any ideas on uses prepping or otherwise? View attachment 459880
Use a couple for emergency caches. You can literally bury one that is painted and it will take more years than we have before it rusts. Put a firearm and ammo in them. Add some canned food and cans of emergency water. Put clothes in them, medical supplies and anything else you think you might need and take them out on your bugout route and bury them. Make sure to get a thin rubber seal between the lid and the body. You may also be able to take an air valve from a tire and suck the air out of it. BTW, I'm jealous I want a half a dozen.

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
forget about food unless you can absolutely verify they came direct from a food processing production line with no stops in-between ....

personally - if the company doesn't mind the competition - best thing you can do is take the opportunity to make some outside $$$$ >>> plenty of need for small quantity delivery of steel drums - you should have plenty of $$$$ profit buying that cheap ....

·
Registered
4,409 Posts

I can buy as many as I want. Any ideas on uses prepping or otherwise? View attachment 459880
Even the heavier gauge, epoxy lined, open head drums are available for $200. $2 or $5 is a steel,, unlesss they held some super toxic substance .

People use them for fuel storage, feed storage, burn barrels, cashe’s. Hunters build deer feeders out of them. Definitely valuable used.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts