Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In an effort to take my mind off the craziness going on across the planet I thought I’d post a request for ideas.
At my work we seem to generate a decent amount of steel 55 gallon drums. All of them held some sort of petroleum product. 10w, 15w40, 90wt gear oil, etc. we use them until the pump empties them down to about 3-4 gallons. When replaced we set the “empty” one in a cradle to drain into a bucket which then goes into the new barrel. After draining for 24-48 hours we have to rinse them out with a steam cleaner and then air dry them before they go into the scrap metal dumpster. They are clean enough for the EPA but hardly clean for food or water storage.
I’d say towards the point where the dumpster is getting full there are probably a dozen or more barrels waiting to go away to be crushed.

I know some guys make stuff out of them. BBQ grills used to be common (though the paint and previous contents make that a questionable practice), burn barrels, or even rainwater collection.

But I’m left with the thought that there HAS to be more uses for these things? I’m thinking I’ll make a couple planters for flowers out of one cut in half. Have pondered making several into some sort of pull behind steamroller type thing.

Anyone ha e any other ideas? Curious what else they could be used for so bring your imagination!

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have been wanting to cut one down and use it for panning gold. Bring samples home and pan them in my leisure. Fill it with water on a suitable stand and go to work.

·
patriarch
4,809 Posts
Crafters can use the sheet metal for just about anything. Signs, yard ornaments, wind turbines & weather vanes for the roof. Just a few ideas. Need to think outside the box. :thumb: This is where a small plasma cutter and a welder would come in handy.

One barrel:

Cut ends out,
split down the side,
flatten out sheets.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Build a pontoon. Add a valve stem from a tubeless tire so you can pressurize them. I didn't add the valve and sealed my barrels in the sun on a 100 degree day. When they hit the cool water they cooled off and started to crush themself.

Cut the top off add a chimney on the side near the top and a door on the other side in the middle. You now have a cooker. You can put a grill grate on it. You can put a pig pot on it to make maple syrup or heat large amounts of water. You can put a disk blade on it and have a huge wok. You can put a 8 in section of another barrel at an angle on it an use it to dry wild rice or parch grain or turn syrup into sugar.

Wood stoves/trash burner/charcoal maker.

Kiln for pottery or making lime.

gasafier.

Body of a fuel still.

Storage for used oil for an oil dripper system on a wood stove.

General protected storage.

Compost bin.

Sawdust toilet.

Food smoaker.

Grill

Truck bed tool box.

Source of sheet metal.

I find a it is very easy, and clean if done with care, to remove the top and bottom with a cold chisel and hammer.

Buried caches.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Crafters can use the sheet metal for just about anything. Signs, yard ornaments, wind turbines & weather vanes for the roof. Just a few ideas. Need to think outside the box. :thumb: This is where a small plasma cutter and a welder would come in handy.

One barrel:

Cut ends out,
split down the side,
flatten out sheets.
Sheet metal roof came to mind

·
Let the Debate begin
6,374 Posts
If you use them for a container Garden, you can grow more food than
if you plant directly in the ground. You can cut them either of 2 ways to
do this.

·
Combat marxism Now!
8,282 Posts
A 55 gallon drum is also a DOT approved fuel container for transportation. States have their own laws, but as a general rule, 2 drums of fuel is 110 gallons, under the 119 gallon limit that may be imposed.

There may be other requirements for labeling and fire extinguishers. But the bottom line is that it's an approved fuel container.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have a wet weather creek on the property that I wanted to cross at two points. So I made culverts. I cut the ends out of 4 barrels and screwed them together in line with some scrap metal laying around. Roll into ditch and dumped in some quickcrete. Tossed in some scrap rebar and stones and covered with dirt. When they eventually rust away, hopefully I will still have a concrete tube. I drive my truck across and they hold it fine so far.
I have seen barrels used to hold a fence post in areas that are to hard to dig deep. Barrel in a foot deep hole and a post set and filled with dirt and rocks against the side. Fence pull tight against the barrel and barbed wire on the post.

·
Bug-In Prepper
942 Posts
Cut the top off, put it next to a shelf or fence-top and drop some grain in the bottom and it will accumulate trapped rats and mice. We discovered this accidentally with a plastic trash can, which they chewed through to escape. Replaced it with a metal can, and we catch a few every day.

I've been needing something for efficient long-term storage of livestock feed, so if it were me, I'd join a few together and make rodent-proof silos.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Just now went to Pinterest and searched 55 gallon drum ideas. There are enough projects to keep the best DIYer busy for nearly an eon. There is everything from wood stoves to furniture to planters to bike racks and countless other projects.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts