Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard a lot of good things about it, so I just bought 100' of Paracord-550-rope, for about $9.00 from Ebay.

I already have some ideas, but I would like some more.
--------------------------------------------------
Please list all the uses of this rope, that you can think of.

This will help me, in deciding all the different places to stow it, and what kind of lengths to cut it. (Or to keep the entire 100' in one place!)

·
Registered
402 Posts
I think it's best to keep it whole. Once you start chopping it up you really limit yourself. Pain in the @$$ to splice pieces together. If you have an alice pack you can wrap a lot of the cord around the frame it self. It's out of the way doesn't take up room and it's easy to get at and use.

As far as uses everything from shoelaces to belts, bracelets to headbands, knife wraps to rifle slings.

·
Registered
372 Posts
All of the uses can never be named, but off the top of my head and skipping the uses already mentioned, 550 cord can be used for shelter building, tool repair, gear repair, snares & traps, securing items and gear either to yourself, or your ruck so they dont get lost if they should get knocked lose moving thru thick brush or whatever. make shift clothes lines, or hanging food up out of reach of animals, can be used as makeshift fishing line,....and the list goes on and on.

Just as a heads up if you didnt know 550 cord has its name due to its strength capacity.

The sheath is rated at 200 foot lbs.

Each of the 7 strands is rated at 50 foot lbs.

hence 550 cord.

Its good to know that info if you ever are using the sheath alone or individual strands. And remember that info is good on real 550 cord, not some wal mart hack job stuff.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info.

It looks like I made a good purchase, because what I got is called “military grade”.
Hi Sharpdogs

How do you carry it. (All the time?)

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,307 Posts
The inside strands can be used to make a net for fishing....

paracord and duct tape, can't live without either one.

·
Unemployment sucks.
686 Posts
in iraq i was bored one day, so i took about 200 feet and wove a g string thong and wore it around very very very VERY disturbing. We took 550 design to the next level one friend made a ruge/curtain/blanket. another friend was trying to make a shirt he ended up with two 12" gauntlets becouse their wasnt enough 550 on the FOB. Of i did make a very nice sling, wove the cup and all. Belts, 3 point slings, pistol lanards, billy club crap beater type of thing,flip flops,the list goes on

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
I simply made a butterfly stitch out of 12 feet of paracord. This makes a nice loop to attach my keys with me. It takes about 3 seconds to untie it. As long as I have my keys I have the paracord with me.

Thanks for the info.

It looks like I made a good purchase, because what I got is called “military grade”.
Hi Sharpdogs

How do you carry it. (All the time?)

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi everyone

Today I received my 100' of 550 para-cord, and decided to put it to a test.

I cut off about 6 inches of it, and took the 7 strand from inside(they seemed pretty strong individually).

So I tied each one together(with simple square knots), making a string about 40" long,
and attached them to the handle of a 5gal. bottle of water(c.40lbs.), and they lifted it.
I am convinced:
-This is the best rope in the world!-

Also, the empty sheath, that is rated for 200lbs, flattens out nicely.
(I believe, you could use it to replace a broken fan belt, if you had to!)

Thanks, for cluing me in on this great stuff!

I am also going to look for instructions, for wrapping this around the handle of my .357.
(It might improve my grip!) -If not, I will remove it, and put it someplace else!-

·
Registered
372 Posts
If not already mentioned, replace your boot laces with 550 cord as well, another nice way to always have some extra on you.

Also when you cut 550 cord, make sure to burn the ends with a lighter so that the inner strands dont come out.

Be careful tho, few fires in hell are as painful as melted 550 cord dripping onto your skin.

·
I Love Guns
317 Posts
the one thing u will find in every pack,tact vest,survival kit i have is 550 cord....and duct tape....u can build anything or fix anything with those two items

·
Registered
29 Posts
oh aint that the truth Garra.... burns like a MF. ive replaced all my shoelaces with 550, my hiking and combat boots and my daily shoes. ive seen bracelets and belts made with 550. if i have any fixed bladed knives with cheesy handles ill pop the handles off and rewrap them in 550 as well. i carry 50' in every b-o-b i have and on my vest.

·
Registered
5 Posts
In response to the above, yes you can use 550 cord as a short-term replacement fan belt. Be sure to ties some simple over hands knots into it every few inches, otherwise it will keep slipping off. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
It is the best cordage ever conceived and can be used for anything. I have even rappelled with it; not very comfortable and not good for more than one emergency use though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
yeah you can do anything with 550 cord. Cut this one up and use it for everything, then get yourself another 100' of it.

You can usually get it from military surplus stores as well for around the same price

1 - 20 of 76 Posts