Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a basket of knives on the dresser. I have knives stored in other places too. I have 60ish knives every time I count I come up with a number in the sixties but usually not the same. I often give knives away and pick up knives. But as far as actually using

EDC carry
SAK Walker (have an extra)
SAK pioneer (work)
Opinel #6 olive wood

Fixed blade. general purpose
Mora Eldris (have an extra)
Mora Kansbol (have an extra)
Big fixed blade.
Becker BK9

As you see I have back ups for some .
For my use
SAK Walker is about perfect balance of tools and size for EDC the little Opinel is just a great little slicer , at work the extra tools make the pioneer great

Eldris is great when you want a small knife with more comfortable handles than most folder when you are doing a lot of cutting in one setting.
Kansbol dollar for dollar probably the best knife available for my use . Checks the boxes for size ,comfortable handles decent steel, holds an edge , Light weight to head off the couple thing people will counter with. 1. I don't baton knives they are cutting tools not splitting wedges . 2. Sure there are better knives out there. But to find something that I like as well as the Mora Kansbol, I would have to spend 3 to 4 times the $35 a Kansbol cost.

Becker BK9 least used knife I probably could get by without it . I like it because at 3/16ths thick it is a good slicer but still heavy enough to chop . 1095 steel and a useable sheath. As much as I hate to admit it this knife probably sees more kitchen use than outside use . We buy whole chickens when on sale we cut them in half to freeze because with just the 2 of us half a chicken is enough. It slices though a whole chicken like hot butter . I carry this knife in a baldric rig I made from the factory sheath and stuff I had laying around 20200515_223222_1592837010715.jpg
20200516_093337_1592837054952.jpg

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
We all have a drawer of knives. Mine is full of knife blanks and various knives. Many were gifts, some I bought, some I made. Many are older and have fond memories. I doubt I would get rid of them. I'll leave that to my children as they have no clue of the history of each knife. Ever notice the stashes in the hunting day packs? the knives which live on the various holster belts? Yesterday I opened the silverware drawer in the barn kitchen and saw some old friends. I'm not sure I could get down to just one. There is a Shrade which as lived in my pants pocket for over 30 years. It would most likely get the call as it would be there when I needed it.

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
Kansbol dollar for dollar probably the best knife available for my use . Checks the boxes for size ,comfortable handles decent steel, holds an edge , Light weight to head off the couple thing people will counter with. 1. I don't baton knives they are cutting tools not splitting wedges . 2. Sure there are better knives out there. But to find something that I like as well as the Mora Kansbol, I would have to spend 3 to 4 times the $35 a Kansbol cost.
I've carried/used just about every knife or edged tool I own, even the expensive custom ones. Some are just those you gravitate to for cutting needs. I have a 440 stainless ESEE 3 fixed blade that I often use the most as it's a thin blade that is a slicing/cutting demon.

I was gifted a Mora 2000 by a Swedish Ranger in Afghanistan a couple years ago. It's the same blade as what's on the Kansbol. We talked knives quite a bit and he works at the Swedish Ranger school teaching survival with a that particular knife. They abuse the crap out of them (they issue all the students that same Mora 2000). I was surprised at what all they did with that knife. Far more stout than most realize and still a excellent cutting tool.

ROCK6

·
Fenced In
3,257 Posts
I made the mistake of loaning my Mora Companion to my wife for a canoeing/camping trip with her friends in the Boundary Waters (Minnesota/Ontario border) and it came back to me filthy, scratched and already rusting. This was the "high carbon" version, not the stainless steel version. It still looks like hell, but with some TLC, would assuredly be capable of much more use and abuse.

Most of my work knives are folders, typically sub-$50 models from Kershaw and CRKT, although I do have an EDC rotation that includes some ZT and Benchmade folders. Gerber has been the most disappointing in the low-end price range, although their US-made fixed blades are still good bang for the buck.

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
I made the mistake of loaning my Mora Companion to my wife for a canoeing/camping trip with her friends in the Boundary Waters (Minnesota/Ontario border) and it came back to me filthy, scratched and already rusting. This was the "high carbon" version, not the stainless steel version. It still looks like hell, but with some TLC, would assuredly be capable of much more use and abuse.

Most of my work knives are folders, typically sub-$50 models from Kershaw and CRKT, although I do have an EDC rotation that includes some ZT and Benchmade folders. Gerber has been the most disappointing in the low-end price range, although their US-made fixed blades are still good bang for the buck.
I have several high-end EDC knives (Benchmade, ZT, Spyderco, Emerson, etc.), but for hard-use, I’ve literally been abusing the heck of the CRKT Slacker:

Much agreed that most of the Kershaw and CRKT knives are excellent values for hard-use folders that you won’t cringe when doing abusive cutting chores. That CRKT Slacker has been my primary folder for doing a bunch of landscaping. Cutting a ton of cardboard (as a weed blocker) over dirt and concrete, cutting plastic borders, slicing open bags of concrete, even used to cut at the roots of some larger weeds and plants needing to be quickly removed.

A couple others that have impressed me if you can stomach the “made in China” factor are from Ruike and Honey Badger knives. I don’t want to get into a debate about where they’re made, but just assessing the actual build-quality. Both are around $30, extremely good attention to detail with fit and finish and they have held up well to some hard use. The stainless on the Ruike does get scratched up, but can be buffed out.

It just shows there ae some pretty quality, hard-use knives at very reasonable prices.

ROCK6

·
Fenced In
3,257 Posts
The one that surprised me the most was a Kershaw One Ton. I ended up using it to cut various cables at work, and the 8Cr13MoV blade didn't dull at all. In comparison, a Gerber Air Ranger was the worst, both in terms of grind and edge retention. I may have actually thrown it away.

My complaints about Chinese manufacturing are many, but strictly as a knife enthusiast, it comes down to a lack of confidence that 1) you're actually getting the steel that's advertised and 2) it will be safe to use. I'm especially wary of what's hiding under the thick, black blade coating many of them have, and of shoddy opening/locking mechanisms. I've had a couple of $15 folders fall apart on me, but the worst example of a "quality" knife failing was a Gerber Armor tanto that could have taken a few fingers off when the lock failed under light use. I still trust the US-made knives I have, but I'm done bothering with their imported stuff.

Not too much experience with the more recent Chinese brands that have popped up. I have a Harnds Viper that is pretty nice as $30 folders go, a Tekut Tough that has a Sandvik steel blade like many of the US-made Kershaw models, and a couple of $100ish Kizer folders with S35VN steel blades, titanium frames and milled G10 scales that are fantastic. CRKT has been sort of a mixed bag for me, as I think some of their designs get hindered by sub-par materials. I have their old Lightfoot M1 tanto (AUS8) and Apache (ATS-34) that I'd trust completely.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
ROCK6 if you get a chance I would like to hear more about the Mora 2000. I googled them and liked what I saw. I have a couple of Mora knives that I really like and when I bought them they were around $12. I figured I couldn't lose at that price. So what did you see the Swedish ranger do with the knife that impressed you?

I have one Gerber knife. I folder that I have had for at least 25 years. It has ripped open probably 20+ deer and a couple of elk. Right up through the breast bone to the bottom of the neck. I have also grabbed it by the tip of the handle and swung it to chop through the pelvic bone until I got a good folding saw in my pack. Its still tight and like new and holds a fine edge. It has enough belly to the blade that it makes a decent skinner.

But like the rest of you I have a couple of boxes of knives and then my better knives stored in the safe. But in my pocket every day is an all metal stainless steel lock back with about a 2.5" blade that is flat and easy to carry. Not a great knife but I forget its there till I need it.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ROCK6 if you get a chance I would like to hear more about the Mora 2000. I googled them and liked what I saw. I have a couple of Mora knives that I really like and when I bought them they were around $12. I figured I couldn't lose at that price. So what did you see the Swedish ranger do with the knife that impressed you?

I have one Gerber knife. I folder that I have had for at least 25 years. It has ripped open probably 20+ deer and a couple of elk. Right up through the breast bone to the bottom of the neck. I have also grabbed it by the tip of the handle and swung it to chop through the pelvic bone until I got a good folding saw in my pack. Its still tight and like new and holds a fine edge. It has enough belly to the blade that it makes a decent skinner.

But like the rest of you I have a couple of boxes of knives and then my better knives stored in the safe. But in my pocket every day is an all metal stainless steel lock back with about a 2.5" blade that is flat and easy to carry. Not a great knife but I forget its there till I need it.
I have a mora 2000 . The Mora Kansbol is the same blade with a better handle

As for China steel , I used to work at a place where we heat treated drive train parts. We would only use Chinese steel if it had chemical and physical test done in a U.S. lab. Because you can't depend on it being what they claim

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
I have a lot of good knives, good name brands like Case, probably the oldest I got at age 18 as a gift. Some promotions I've gotten from vendors at work and of course a good NRA pocket knife I got with a past subscription. I have some of my dad's Old Timer knives.

·
Gatorbait
856 Posts
2 Buck fixed blade knives in my truck and like everyone else on this forum, another hundred knives laying everywhere all over the house and shed.

·
Premium Member
2,302 Posts
I prefer fixed blades or autos.

I have 3 esee fixed blades a coupon of cold steel fixed and a couple of folders. But my edc is a buck impact auto. Although. I’m considering a change to either

benchmade casbah

Microtech socom elite auto

Or spyderco autonomy 2

I really like all those knives a lot

The micro tech is an out the side and basically a bigger nicer version of the impact. But the buck has the same inlaid g10 over aluminum. And the aluminum wears.

The benchmade looks light and is just a good knife.

The spyderco is g10 so no wearing metal and the steel is lc200n which is super rust resistant.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts