Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... I know where this thread could go so please don't list precursor chemicals for nefarious devices etc...;-)

But I've been thinking about getting stocked up of chemicals that would be very useful in a post collapse world, so I'll start it off with these two...

Salt= Food preservation, attracting game, Tanning Hides, keeping paths clear of ice.

Potassium Hydroxide= Soap making, Making Bio Diesel, Tanning Hides,

I'm sure there are plenty more but please keep it sensible and legal.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,157 Posts
Vinegar. Cheap in bulk. Useful for pickling, making household cleaners, disinfecting, etc.

Ethanol, such as Everclear. Can be used in food preservation, tincturing medicinal herbs, wound care, etc.

Borax. Useful for washing clothes, makes a good nontoxic insecticide, etc.

As for hydrogen peroxide, it has a short shelf life like bleach. I don't know of any long lasting alternatives for it. But calcium hypochlorite is a great replacement for bleach.

·
Registered
96 Posts
potassium nitrate, powdered charcoal, and sulfur. I enjoy hunting with black powder guns and might have to make my own powder after TSHTF.

Lye
Iodine
Sulfuric acid
Denatured Alcohol
Methyl Alcohol
Gelled Alcohol (Sterno)
Ethylene glycol or Propylene glycol

I use to work with a lot of different fuels and chemicals. Here is a tip: Do not store oxidizers, corrosives, and flammables in the same area with each other.

Corrosives will leak and cause another container to leak open, some chemicals will ignite when they come into contact with oxygen. The flammables will help the fire to burn and the oxidizers will feed the fire and make it very hard to put out.

Another chemical that should never be with these items is insecticides, because you will then have a poisonous smoke within the fire.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Salt definately ... I'm lucky I live near an old salt works and there is mountains of the stuff!
Iodine - for wounds and can even disinfect your drinking water in a pinch
powdered chlorine
Methylated Spirits are good as a disinfectant, cleaner and even on wounds (if you can stand it lol)
sodium bicarbonate
Gypsum - in a pinch can at least be a weak source of calcium

·
Registered
279 Posts
OK... I know where this thread could go so please don't list precursor chemicals for nefarious devices etc...;-)

But I've been thinking about getting stocked up of chemicals that would be very useful in a post collapse world, so I'll start it off with these two...

Salt= Food preservation, attracting game, Tanning Hides, keeping paths clear of ice.

Potassium Hydroxide= Soap making, Making Bio Diesel, Tanning Hides,

I'm sure there are plenty more but please keep it sensible and legal.
Valkyrie10... thank you. This is a great topic and I've never seen it come up.

Years ago I walked the hardware store and checked out everything from WD-40, etc... but I never thought of chemicals to improvise services that will no longer be available.

·
Excelsior
100 Posts
Potassium chloride for use in making up hydration formula. Easiest way to stock is to purchase Morton Lite salt which is half sodium chloride and half potassium chloride.

·
Registered
96 Posts
examples please..know what a flammable is...
Hydrogen Peroxide is an Oxidizer. Potassium Chlorate is the most dangerous oxidizer, because it can spontaneously ignite or explode when it comes in contact with other chemicals.

Sulfuric Acid is a corrosive.

Above is a good idea of how people get killed fooling around with chemicals.
He talks about Potassium Chloride and I mention Potassium Chlorate, both look almost like the same words, but there is a great difference in them.

·
Registered
777 Posts
potassium nitrate, powdered charcoal, and sulfur. I enjoy hunting with black powder guns and might have to make my own powder after TSHTF.

Lye
Iodine
Sulfuric acid
Denatured Alcohol
Methyl Alcohol
Gelled Alcohol (Sterno)
Ethylene glycol or Propylene glycol

I use to work with a lot of different fuels and chemicals. Here is a tip: Do not store oxidizers, corrosives, and flammables in the same area with each other.

Corrosives will leak and cause another container to leak open, some chemicals will ignite when they come into contact with oxygen. The flammables will help the fire to burn and the oxidizers will feed the fire and make it very hard to put out.

Another chemical that should never be with these items is insecticides, because you will then have a poisonous smoke within the fire.
This brings up a very good issue .... How to safely store chemicals. I will start another thread to discuss how to store various chemicals around the house safely.

·
Waiting...Watching..
2,235 Posts
Oil
Good for maintenance of everything from A-Z (guns inc) and for making salvaged tools operable.

Gotta keep oil.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,157 Posts
Potassium chloride for use in making up hydration formula. Easiest way to stock is to purchase Morton Lite salt which is half sodium chloride and half potassium chloride.
They also make "no salt" which is entirely potassium chloride. That way you can control the amount of sodium you add.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts