Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Semper non compos mentis
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have been using Portable Apps http://portableapps.com/ for some time now and I strongly recommend you take a look. All my critical data is stored on a couple of USB drives, but you can also use iPods and the like as well. I believe it works with Mac's too.

It's a free download that enables you to carry your favorite computer programs along with all of your bookmarks, settings, email and more with you. Use them on any Windows computer. All without leaving any personal data behind.

When you plug in your USB drive it opens up something like this:

portableapps_homepage_cr-13.jpg

with all your installed portable apps, emails etc.

There are new apps being 'portablised' all the time. I noticed wikipedia has a listing about it and includes some alternatives to Portable Apps as well. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_portable_software

·
Registered
156 Posts
I highly recommend this software as well. No matter where I go I have all my bookmarks, emails, etc right at the tip of my finger. Give it a try, its great software.

Even if you don't transport the software with you on portable media, you could have an install of FirefoxPortable buried in your drive somewhere that would allow for discrete web surfing on shared computers in your home. It keeps everything separate from an existing Firefox installation and the data does not interact with each other, ie bookmarks on one do not show up on another.

·
Semper non compos mentis
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New Portable Apps for your USB Drive

Hi folks just an update on the PortableApps front. I noticed today that a bunch of new applications that have been 'portablised'. Follow the links to check them out.

What's New

Oct 01 BPBible 0.3.1
Sep 30 GnuCash 2.2.7
Sep 29 FileZilla 3.1.3.1
Sep 29 WinSCP 4.1.7
Sep 29 VirtualDub 1.8.6
Sep 28 Mozilla Thunderbird 2.0.0.17
Sep 28 Mozilla Firefox 3.0.3
Sep 28 Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.17
Sep 24 Mozilla Firefox 3.0.2
Sep 24 Mozilla Sunbird 0.9
Sep 22 JkDefrag 3.36
Sep 18 GnuCash 2.2.6

·
Registered
204 Posts
+1 on portable apps.

I have a full suite of apps on a flash drive, but I also use them on my laptops and desktop in order to conserve space and memory resources.

For example, I use the following portable apps:

1. Firefox 3
2. MS Office 2003
3. MS Office 2007
4. Nero Ultimate Edition
5. Google Earth
6. Filezilla
7. Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
8. Adobe Illustrator
9. Adobe Acrobat Pro 8
10. Full Suite of Elcommsoft Apps - allow you to bypass encryption on PDFs, MS Office Documents, recover passwords, etc.
11. Utorrent

One of my laptops also runs Micro XP, which is a fully stripped down version of Windows XP Pro - uses far less resources/disk space, but is fully functional.

All of these if installed as full versions would take around 15-25gb of disk space. The portable versions of ALL of these will fit on a 4gb USB flash drive.

The portable versions on the flash drive allow me to pretty much startup any windows system which allows booting from a USB drive. This has immense utility for post-shtf computer salvage amongst other things.

So where did I get the apps which are not listed on Wikipedia? One word - torrents. Read the feedback on each torrent and make sure you thoroughly virus scan just to be sure. There are also utilities available which will turn your store-bought bloatware applications into portable types.

Reactions: Herne

·
Semper non compos mentis
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:thumb:Excellent thanks MCLMM, I didn't realise some of those apps were portablised. Will be getting a copy for my usb.

·
<< This Space For Rent >>
72 Posts
I have a Cruzer Micro 4gb flash drive with U3 on it. Do any of you know how U3 differs from Portable Apps? Im interested in finding out which is better and carrying my flash in my day pack just in case.

Ken in Glassboro, NJ

·
<< This Space For Rent >>
72 Posts
Just installed portable apps. along with their portable Bible to my U3 flash drive. I have the U3 on its own partition within the drive and it still shows something like 3.2 gb available after installing all of those apps.

If this works like I hope it does it will be great for just taking my stuff to work with me as well as for traveling and in cases of bugging out.

Ken in Glassboro, NJ

1 - 9 of 9 Posts