Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure how many soccer fans there are around here. I come by it honestly after spending so much time in Europe and then raising three girls, one of which who went to college on a scholly soccer ride.

But this womens' team from the USA gives us all something to cheer about in tough times.

Wow what a finish against Brazil in a match where it was clearly evident that everything was rigged against the USA for Brazil to win.

Our girls battled their way back in heroic fashion to score the latest goal in Womens' World Cup history.

We are a nation of fighters. We win when we are allowed to fight.

Did you hear the chants in Germany of USA USA USA!

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is the survival preparedness section of the forum. Please abide by the rules and post where it belongs over in the general discussion area as it has nothing to do with disaster preparedness
Yeah, actually it does have something to do with preparedness Ryn. It's all about fighting, battling as a team, bringing back a little pride as well as getting our minds off of all the negative stuff for a few minutes.

What you think about you do .... what you do, you become. That's an old saying of mine and it holds true. My point was, when America is pressured, we fight. If we are allowed to fight without our hands tied, and some times with them tied, then we usually win.

I am well aware of the different sections of the forum. I've contributed to all of them. What the U.S. of A. Women did earlier this afternoon was nothing short of heroic. They overcame odds, overcame crooked umps and refs, overcame superior talent quite honestly .... they kept battling and they still won. In other words, they won anyway.

It's a lesson for all of us to be reminded of - there is no reason why we Americans should be dictated into failure.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah, actually it does have something to do with preparedness Ryn. It's all about fighting, battling as a team, bringing back a little pride as well as getting our minds off of all the negative stuff for a few minutes.
In a world full of people being rewarded for bad behavior and laziness, it is nice to take a moment to see teamwork, hard work, and a "never say die" attitude having its moment to shine.

This story may not help me store my beans more effectively, but it does a lot to help restore faith that perseverance (a needed trait in SHTF scenarios) does, in fact, have its own rewards.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts

What you think about you do .... what you do, you become. That's an old saying of mine and it holds true. My point was, when America is pressured, we fight. If we are allowed to fight without our hands tied, and some times with them tied, then we usually win.

I am well aware of the different sections of the forum. I've contributed to all of them. What the U.S. of A. Women did earlier this afternoon was nothing short of heroic. They overcame odds, overcame crooked umps and refs, overcame superior talent quite honestly .... they kept battling and they still won. In other words, they won anyway.

It's a lesson for all of us to be reminded of - there is no reason why we Americans should be dictated into failure.

I placed second in the Junior Olympics, I held the 100 meter hurdle record for 14 yrs in my hometown, I went to the State Championship, I played soccer for 13 yrs and field hockey for 5. I know all about sportsmanship. This still does not apply to disaster preparedness.

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I placed second in the Junior Olympics, I held the 100 meter hurdle record for 14 yrs in my hometown, I went to the State Championship, I played soccer for 13 yrs and field hockey for 5. I know all about sportsmanship. This still does not apply to disaster preparedness.
:eek:

Did you really just evoke the, "I know all about sportsmanship from my high school days" retort? Seriously? Here, I have something for you ....

As I stated before - here, I'll spell it out for your benefit:

1) It is reminiscent of the 1980 Miracle on Ice win by our USA hockey team against the Soviets that came at a time when we were also deeply embedded in a bad recession and our collective morale was on the line in this country. It was a victory for the entire country. A pick-me-up that everyone shared.

2) It is not about sportsmanship. It is about TEAMWORK - working together for one common goal. To snatch victory from defeat. To depend upon one another knowing full well that your buddy has your back. Or in the case of a prepper, your friend, family member, et al.

3) It is about controlling one's own destiny rather than allowing it to be controlled by others - by corrupt others - by those in positions of authority who would do you harm or cause you losses through their actions. (Something that was clearly evident today by the number of bad calls made against the American women during the course of the day. )

4) It's about overcoming the odds and fighting and battling and refusing to lose in the face of adversity. It's about being in both mental and physical shape to take advantage of openings and to endeavor and endure even when it appears that all hope is lost. Things that are important to all savvy and experienced preppers. If you had watched the match today, you might understand.

5) It's about feeling good about something. About finding something to feel good about rather than always dwelling on the bad. As I stated, what you think about you do .... what you do, you become. We're jaded as a country right now. Sometimes we need something to remind us that we're still the greatest, still the freest, country in the world. The choice is ours to do something about things that are not going our way.

It's a metaphor for survivalist, for preppers. It's an analogy for winning, at all costs. They had everything going against them and they simply won anyway.

No excuses.

If you don't get it now, you never will. Congrats on your stellar high school field hockey career though. Impressive. :rolleyes:

Regards

Reactions: zatoichi

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Not sure how many soccer fans there are around here.
I have never understood why soccer is so popular. 2 teams chase a ball around and try to kick it into a net,,,, and?

I can turn on the outdoor channel and see more entertaining stuff.

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have never understood why soccer is so popular. 2 teams chase a ball around and try to kick it into a net,,,, and?

I can turn on the outdoor channel and see more entertaining stuff.
I actually agree with that - lol - it's boring as heck. My second oldest daughter was good enough to go to school on a scholly, so I really got interested in it around that time Kev, although I had sort of picked the game up out of necessity while living in Europe. Plus my alma mater, South Carolina, has always had pretty good soccer.

The thing about soccer is strategy. Still, it's boring unless you've got a vest interest in it .... yet it is the most followed sport on earth, by far.

My Son and I are Outdoor Channel guys too. Especially during the summer when there is no college football or college baseball. That's when we have time to watch TV. He's off at Lutheran Camp right now and I've been up to my elbows in bids. But that soccer game yesterday was a different animal all together. I mean it was over, the cheating Brazilians and the crooked refs were heinous. But those darn American women kept battling back. It was absolutely amazing. Even the normally bland and dry British announcers were caught-up in the never-say-die attitude of our women. I mean it was brutal - something to behold. Kind of like the Rocky fight where he beats the big Russian. Even the Brits and Germans were chanting USA USA USA by the end of the match yesterday.

I suspect this Wednesday's match against France is going to be watched by a lot of Americans now that our women are in the Semifinals.

We could sure use a little national pride restored right about now.

I miss my old country.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Awesome Game. If you have ever played Soccer, you would really understand not only the skill, but the overall fitness that these Men and Woman have. Pull up Lionel Messi on Youtube, Watch some of his goals.. Impressive.

Plus this is the USA... GO USA

1 - 17 of 17 Posts