Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Ryding Free...
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made this video to serve as a useful guide and tool for working out which states have what Gun Laws / Rights.

It covers all 50 of the US States from draconian New York and New Jersey to ones like liberty minded Arizona and Vermont.

I took inspiration from an earlier post that detailed the 50 states using intel from Guns and Ammo magazine.

Well here it is, although it's long at ten minutes you can skip to your home state using the interactive map at the beginning of the video:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Good work. Everybody has a different view of what is important. I kind of took offense that OK was 30th(I think) and TX was 15th. I know only 1 point separated a lot of states. I often look at gun rights from a hunters perspective. Some of the mid-south and southern states have much more generous season dates, bag limits, and caliber choices. For example most southern states have rifle season(223 included) for deer, where many northern states are limited to shotgun or pistol only.

Just a suggestion, maybe you could group them in tiers, as opposed to 50-1. I'm just saying if you've ever been to the Wanamaker Gun Show in Tulsa, you'll be hard pressed to find a more friendly environment for firearms.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Good work. Everybody has a different view of what is important. I kind of took offense that OK was 30th(I think) and TX was 15th. I know only 1 point separated a lot of states. I often look at gun rights from a hunters perspective. Some of the mid-south and southern states have much more generous season dates, bag limits, and caliber choices. For example most southern states have rifle season(223 included) for deer, where many northern states are limited to shotgun or pistol only.

Just a suggestion, maybe you could group them in tiers, as opposed to 50-1. I'm just saying if you've ever been to the Wanamaker Gun Show in Tulsa, you'll be hard pressed to find a more friendly environment for firearms.
I've never seen anything about hunting in the 2nd amendment.

·
Registered
639 Posts
It incorrectly states that Minnesota has a waiting period to purchase handguns and non-hunting style rifles. There is no waiting period, only the permit to purchase requirement, which is 'shall issue'.

I'm sure there are many other issues, but this is just one thing that I have heard more than one person state incorrectly.

·
Ryding Free...
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks for these suggestions, I'll try some of them into the video annotations.

I was a bit lairy about including the Minnesota waiting period which is only for the first handgun purchase (FFL) or a permit to buy. I'll amend that.

Now don't be disheartened about the number placement.
Idaho is number 32 out of 50 but by no means does it mean it's strict gun law. From number 40 (Washington State) onwards the Firearm Freedom Score jumps up to the mid 30s compared to New York State which is about 7 (the lowest in the land excluding D.C)!

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,547 Posts
I usually don't watch youtube videos more than a minute long but this one looks worth the time.
I will have to download it to my computer to watch later though.

I hope and think that Wyoming is one of the most free and possibly the state with the fewest gun control laws.

Colorado, where I was born and where I still spend winters, is gone, taken over by liberals and worse. I don't think even CA has such nanny, draconian, harsh gun laws as have been recently passed in CO.
Wyoming's population might very well increase just from some freedom lovers fleeing / bugging out of Colorado.

And one more reason I am trying to move permanently to WY.
And it does not really matter to me how awful many gun laws, regulations etc. are passed. Since I do own a remote mountain survival retreat.
And I think and hope that I will be able to shoot and even own almost any kind of gun. Especially if I don't take the guns off my long ago bought and paid for mtn land and don't tell too many, if any about any guns I might own...

·
Ryding Free...
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the hard work, Watch. Putting valuable information on video format is time consuming, and increasingly necessary because people seem to have quit reading.

Glad to be out west where owning a gun is normal.
Thanks, you read my mind on that. The young ones on Youtube respond more to the moving images of video these days.

I'll be making some more vids soon with a more specific focus on the individual states, that should explain fully what the deal is. I could of included it on the 50 states video but it would of been 30 minutes longer! LOL.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
SD got a 4/10 for Castle Doctrine? Wut...?

22-16-34. Justifiable homicide--Resisting attempted murder--Resisting felony on person or in dwelling house. Homicide is justifiable if committed by any person while resisting any attempt to murder such person, or to commit any felony upon him or her, or upon or in any dwelling house in which such person is.
Source: SDC 1939, § 13.2003 (1); SL 2005, ch 120, § 165.
One wouldn't even have to be in their own house (or any house at all), nor under threat of physical violence to be justified in the use of lethal force. That's about as broad as it can get. Other than a crime being committed, the typical restrictions that other states have don't exist there.

Any felony against one self, or any felony against or merely within any dwelling you are at. Is there any Castle Doctrine that covers more?

·
Ryding Free...
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You've got a point there, but I suppose there's the doubt in mind that wording it in such legalize could mean a 'good' lawyer could try and get a gun owner in trouble if there was reasonable doubt, burgalry not home invasion etc etc.

·
Ryding Free...
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Soits Alaska Arizona or Vermont...I always thought Vermont was some liberal safe haven
It kinda is but they are very protective of their guns and are not hoplophobes like the others are.

Having said that they tried to bring in an AWB and I think they realized it was political suicide. One gun range even banned LEO from using it for practice! :eek:

·
Ryding Free...
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I gotta say that there click the state format is cool.
Glad you like it man, it took me two hours alone to program that into video format on YT.

I have made a slight error on Vermont though, they do have a suppressor ban alas so I need to edit the video slightly.

·
Ryding Free...
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
New Jersey has some of the toughest gun restrictions in the USA. It is arguably THE most restrictive with regard to CCW 'May Issue' outside of Illinois and D.C!

This video covers the Gun Ownership, CCW application process and 'Assault Firearms' restrictions...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts