Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
US prices fall for the first time in 13 months

US prices fell for the first time in 13 months in April, driven by lower petrol costs, official data has shown.

Consumer price index inflation fell 0.1% last month from March, said the Labor Department, surprising analysts who had expected a 0.1% increase.

On an annual basis, inflation in April rose by 0.9%, the lowest growth rate since 1966.

Analysts said the figures meant the US Federal Reserve would be in no rush to raise US interest rates.

Core inflation - which strips out the impact of volatile energy and food bills - showed prices remained unchanged in April for the second consecutive month.

Petrol prices declined by 2.4%, clothing costs fell 0.7% and food costs rose 0.2%. More...

·
Registered
597 Posts
Core inflation - which strips out the impact of volatile energy and food bills - showed prices remained unchanged in April for the second consecutive month.
What a Sham! Jeez not counting Energy and Food Prices I'm sure Glad My Chinese made crap didn't rise last month....Hope Not many People Put Much Stock in this BS.

·
Spunky Curmudgeon
1,310 Posts
The price of oil shouldn't even be included. It's so volatile that it completely skews the measurement of inflation.

If wages fall faster than prices, that's still deflation. That's the very nature of deflation.

Reactions: Beatupoldcop

·
Prepared
15,924 Posts
That's the funny thing about how top-down/self-serving these definitions are for banksters, the Fed, etc.

But let's consider what inflation means to Joe Sixpacks: his buying ability declines.

Let's consider what happens to Joe Sixpacks if his wages fall faster than prices (which are also falling, but not as fast): his buying ability declines.

If wages fall faster than prices, that's still deflation. That's the very nature of deflation.

·
Vote 3rd party!
900 Posts
Ah, the latest from the Bureau of Lies and Deceit!

The CPI is a bogus measurement. It has been manipulated over time. Why? Because many government programs (i.e. Social Security) get cost of living raises every year, based on CPI.

There are many things that are screwy with this statistic - hedonics, product substitutions, etc.

If you want to learn about it, just Google something like - cpi explained hedonics

A great site to view an alternate from Gov statistics is http://www.shadowstats.com/

·
Registered
222 Posts
Houses have a long ways to fall still.
Look at the historical charts. Homes still have about 50% left to come back down to historical averages. And I would expect them to overshoot to the negative temporarily, so maybe 70% left to fall?
I would expect, adjusted for inflation, homes will fall a little every year for the next 30 years.

Oh, and let's not talk about when interest rates come back off 0%.
Who can afford a $300,000 house at 15% interest?????
Especially if after 5-10 years when everyone realizes they lose 1-2% a year in value.

IMO, this is the new normal.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
I'm for sure no economic expert, but I read somewhere that when consumer prices fall, its a really bad sign for the economy- meaning people aren't buying and the prices are reduced to get them to buy. Meaning things are getting desparate. Am I all wet on this one?

·
Sam Adams was right....
9,381 Posts
for the us economy, sustained deflation is a bad thing...

Reactions: Flex

·
WINNING...humbly
3,704 Posts
I'm for sure no economic expert, but I read somewhere that when consumer prices fall, its a really bad sign for the economy- meaning people aren't buying and the prices are reduced to get them to buy. Meaning things are getting desparate. Am I all wet on this one?
You are correct. Deflationary spiral is a sure path to a long and bad economic depression.

·
Spunky Curmudgeon
1,310 Posts
If it's just for a month or two, it might reflect a change in energy costs or some other input. But if it's long term, that's not good at all. That reflects a loss of buying power on the part of the consumer, and tends to have a feedback loop resulting in ever increasing idling of factories. Not that we have many left.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.