Survivalist Forum banner

US Population Map - Where you have chosen to live.....

4064 71
I just finished watching a short informational video on the population of the US.

It got me to thinking and pondered the question......

Is the success or failure of preppers in a SHTF situation already determined, depending on where one lives?

And a second question......

Why don't preppers flee from congested areas of our country?

I think we can all agree that a top threat to a prepper, when in a catastrophic situation where there is severe shortages of food..... is other humans who are starving to death.

Seems to me the "Middle West" of the US might be a great place to be preparing, with the exception of the 8 large cities in this area: Denver (Front Range), Phoenix, El Paso, Albuquerque, Boise, Salt Lake City, Tucson and Las Vegas. When you remove the population of these 8 large metro areas.... the rest of the "Middle West" only has a population of 15 million.

It is likely that the mass majority of Preppers on this site live in the Eastern US (east of the line) and the Pacific area (west of the other line). I am thinking you folks have a very different list of challenges than someone living in Northern New Mexico.... out in the middle of nowhere.

As you read this and study the map below, what is your thinking?

Map Sky World Font Line
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,810 Posts
The carrying capacity of the area is a HUGE thing in any emergency.

The west is sparcely populated due to a lack of water and arable land. If the SHTF, we may not have to worry about the neighbors in the next town over....but we DO have to worry about producing any food with the grid down and no power to the pumps that many of us depend on for water.

That's what prepping is all about. Different things depending on your AO and scenarios.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
18,321 Posts
My opinion is the OP has created a very strange map.

Your deffinition of middle west excludes areas west of the Mississippi river that get significant rain fall, and includes the Rocky mtns, desert areas, and the short grass of the high plains.

In my opinion, folks trying to survive loss of electric power and ROL, in areas with less than 20" of yearly precip are likely to starve. Ag in these areas is based on irrigation water.

When I got ready to retire, my focus was on areas west of the Miss River, and East of Interstate 35. I also avoided areas North of Interstate 80, to avoid having to water livestock at 30 below.
Map World Line Atlas Font

·
Registered
371 Posts
They are likely to starve, but if you know the SW Desert, there's pound for pound more protein running around then Ive ever seen out east.

Preppers dont flee congested area's because when it comes down to it, most people are afraid of the dark. When I do go to the city to visit, I feel like Im in a warzone, the sensory input is insane. Dogs barking everywhere, sirens, traffic, everyone has their tv on full blast.

When they come to visit us, they're scared when they have to walk up the driveway in the dark to their car. When my Father in Law came to visit, a snake crawled into the house through an open doorway, he grabbed his stuff and left that day, lol.

·
Capability, not scenarios
12,899 Posts
Why don't preppers flee from congested areas of our country?
I live in the upper midwest. It's a fairly rural area, small rural town.

While I agree with your point that some of what will determine prepper success has to do with where they live, where I live isn't bad.

But it could be better. Why don't I flee?

Well, let's see. My home is here. It's paid off. I own some rental property, it's paid off.

My friends are here. Moving to a new area requires starting over with that.

My family is here, or nearby. Moving to a new area means moving away from them.

My job is (was) here. I'm retired, but if I was working, would I be able to find a comparable job if I'm moving to a new area?

I understand this area very well, where the resources are, areas to avoid (thankfully there are few), the people, the problems, the assets, the advantages. Moving to a new area would make me much less self-reliant in that regard.

And, I like living here. I have fun here. I like to golf. It's cheap here, and that's good. I shoot trap. It's cheap here, and that's good. I do other things that are relatively inexpensive, and that's good, too.

In short, it's not that easy to just pull up stakes and move. Maybe if you have no family, few friends, and a job that doesn't resist your moving, maybe. But I don't think most people are like that.

People will move when they can no longer survive where they are (think the dust-bowl years in the Plains states).

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
For many it’s either they don’t know where to go or they can’t afford to be there. Others it’s the resources. That could be water, food, land or food stamps and hand outs, or lack there of.

I live fairly rural with a second property that doesn’t have a house within a mile. In Michigan, water is never a concern.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
I think where you live is far less important than what you have done to stay and survive where you are now. I live on the OPs line just south of Ft Worth Tx. My house is paid for and I have a good (but not awesome) supply of food. I do need to address the water supply. I have good neighbors and am in a safer than Ft Worth town. Can I improve where I am at?

Yes I can. I am strongly considering adding some raised bed garden boxes next year and trying my hand at growing some food. Also increase my on hand food supply especially dry food and canned food. This is the same thing I would do if I uprooted and moved west. Plus here we still have a hard core group of friends and family and many in our church group we can count on that can also depend on us. And thats one thing we wouldn't have if we moved 500 miles west.

Moving would mean completely starting over in that respect. It takes time to build solid dependable relationships with new people.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Preppers dont flee congested area's because when it comes down to it, most people are afraid of the dark. When I do go to the city to visit, I feel like Im in a warzone, the sensory input is insane. Dogs barking everywhere, sirens, traffic, everyone has their tv on full blast.
When my sister in law comes to visit she has to have the radio playing and a night light on in order to sleep. Otherwise it is too dark and quiet. She lives in the big city in California.

Montana has more cows than people.

Most people don't move because they think they can't. They may be able too, but would require a different lifestyle.

·
Registered
Packed and Ready
360 Posts
I live along middle blue line and I could be wrong but I think as long as you live off of the main path way you'll likely be fine but of course this all depends on the type of SHTF.

EMP - People will likely nor walk that far off of the path. Remember, Americans are lazy and many can't walk that far anyway.
Cyber Collapse - May get some people as cars will still be functioning.
Virus wipe out - So many deaths, the survivors will not need to be scouring the countryside for food until much later.
Economic collapse - Same as Cyber

Point is, and I could be wrong.....if you live off of the main interstates I don't believe you will have to many from the cities visiting you. If you live near a lake, major river, or State Park though I think you will be visited by survivors.

·
"eleutheromaniac"
4,720 Posts
Is the success or failure of preppers in a SHTF situation already determined, depending on where one lives?
YES. But "preppers" think they are ab-normalcy bias, but reality is they are normalcy bias. The single greatest subject to push preppers button is, "tell them that nonmatter how well prepared they are, their greatest risk exposure is their physical location".

This subject is the fundamental difference between old school prepping theory and new theory.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
I am strongly considering adding some raised bed garden boxes next year and trying my hand at growing some food.
This past spring my wife and I built a big box, 20 by 20 by 16 inches deep. “I’m going to try growing some food this year.” Used up quite a pile of old 2x8s. We bought a pickup full of plants; squash, zucchini, melons, cucumbers, pumpkins, all kinds of stuff. Then I ordered 6 yards of “prepared dairy” soil. Cow poop already mixed in. Cow poop is supposed to be good for growing stuff, I thought.

Turns out, manure needs to age for a while. Inside a week, everything we planted was D-E-A-D. So the big box full of dirt and cow poop is still out there. There’s two weeds growing in it, and they’re not gonna make it much longer.

·
Listen to the ghosts
6,417 Posts
Maybe, maybe not. If Yellowstone erupts, then the answer is "yes" for everyone within several hundred miles and "probably" for everyone else. If it's a plague like the Black Death, then no--where you live will not insulate you from the danger. If it's a civilizational collapse, where you live will not be a guarantee of anything but will go a long way to determining whether you survive.

Too many variables for the answer to that question to be "yes".

·
Listen to the ghosts
6,417 Posts
They are likely to starve, but if you know the SW Desert, there's pound for pound more protein running around then Ive ever seen out east.

When they come to visit us, they're scared when they have to walk up the driveway in the dark to their car. When my Father in Law came to visit, a snake crawled into the house through an open doorway, he grabbed his stuff and left that day, lol.
You definitely know a different bunch of city folk than I do.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts