Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 209 Posts

·
Banned
7,436 Posts

·
Banned
542 Posts
As if we needed anyone too tell us that.

And texas pete, if you can't respect a two time congressional medal of honor winner for his view on war, than you are a very narrow minded person.

and he was not trashing his profession einstien, he was trashing war. Its like you guys take pride in being ignorant.

And maybe if you did a little research on the man you would discover that he saved your country from a facist coup, he is more of a patriot than you could ever hope to be.

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
Yeah, I wonder if he refused his wages as an officer? Gave back any money he made on his medals, his book? He sold out his Corps. He's a hypocrit.

·
Banned
7,436 Posts

And texas pete, if you can't respect a two time congressional medal of honor winner for his view on war, than you are a very narrow minded person.

and he was not trashing his profession einstien, he was trashing war. Its like you guys take pride in being ignorant.

And maybe if you did a little research on the man you would discover that he saved your country from a facist coup, he is more of a patriot than you could ever hope to be.

He obviously developed this opinion of his profession after he had his breakdown. It is not in keeping with the traditions he observed while he served.

I respect his service but his current opinion, on this subject, is an entirely different matter. Not all heroes have opinions I can respect. I admire John McCain, Consider him a hero, and have great respect for the man however I voted against him in the primaries. I could not respet his views on illegal immigration, campaign finance reform, and other issues he failed to properly represent his constituents on as an Arizona Senator. Obviously I boted for him in the Presidential elections becuase even a liberal republican is better than a Marxist.

My point here is I can respect a person for his service and heroism but still have no respect for an opinion like that.

·
Banned
7,436 Posts

He was a Marine. War IS his profession.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I can hardly respect somebody who trashes their own profession. It is a shame I wonder when he started haveing the mental breakdown?
Have you considered that the most credible and informed position to criticize from might be those involved in the upper echelon with insider knowledge? Gen Butler is a Marine Corp. hero and yet I was never made aware of his final conclusion despite his heroic status, until recently. I'm much more inclined to listen to him than someone sitting in their livingroom "chillin''

·
Banned
7,436 Posts
Have you considered that the most credible and informed position to criticize from might be those involved in the upper echelon with insider knowledge? Gen Butler is a Marine Corp. hero and yet I was never made aware of his final conclusion despite his heroic status, until recently. I'm much more inclined to listen to him than someone sitting in their livingroom "chillin''
Go right ahead and do so......I just can't imagine he had this view when he was Comandant of the Marine Corps. No President in his right mind would keep him there in that job if that was his opinion when he served.

I respect his accomplishment s and his courage under fire but I can't respect that opinion under any circumstances.

It certainly is not share by a George S. Patton, Omar Bradley, Douglas McAurther or Billy Mitchell. I'll go with the pack on this one the lone wolf is a bit of a stretch for me.

·
Registered
308 Posts
MGen. Smedley Butler is the most decorated Marine in histroy and "the Grand Ol Man of the Marine Corps'. It's a test and inspection question all through recruit training.

I don't know about other current and former Marines on this site, but disparaging his name here is not appreciated.
Who is "disparaging" his name?

·
Banned
7,436 Posts
Most people aren't inclined to undermine the premise of their lifelong legacy. This, despite their personal lessons and reflections, is a result of human nature. War is a racket my friend and always has been. This isn't to say that sometimes war is a necessary ordeal.
It makes me wonder why this guy did undermine his legacy and disrespected everything he ever stood for. Something happened either after he retired or that caused his retirement what I don't know.

Still I disagree with his assessment of war.....It is obvious he is no Sun Tsu cause he was never qoted in any of the military History I studied to become an Officer in the US Military. I attended New Mexico Military Institute (AKA the West Point of the West) and rather than going into the Army I continued my Education and was Commissioned in the USAF. I also attended the Air War College he wasn't mantioned in anything I learned about the subject of War.:thumb:

·
Registered
308 Posts
It's true that he was no Sun Tzu because it would be odd if he claimed he was. (side jab at Patton here) But despite your lack of formal education on Major General Butler it doesn't speak to his brilliance to say that "well I wasn't taught his tactics or philosophy at the West Point of the West", therefore I refute his credibility. Serious fallacies here. no beef here, but his exploits are well documented and speaks for itself. I doubt that you would be given a class on his philosophy at a war college today. It's obvious why.

·
Sam Adams was right....
9,195 Posts
War is a racket... or more accurately... a business

Even Eisenhower said so... I guess he also had a "mental breakdown" when he left public service... :rolleyes:

... from his farewell address to the Nation

...The record of many decades stands as proof that our people and their Government have, in the main, understood these truths and have responded to them well in the face of threat and stress.

But threats, new in kind or degree, constantly arise.

Of these, I mention two only.

A vital element in keeping the peace is our military establishment. Our arms must be mighty, ready for instant action, so that no potential aggressor may be tempted to risk his own destruction.

Our military organization today bears little relation to that known by any of my predecessors in peacetime, or indeed by the fighting men of World War II or Korea.

Until the latest of our world conflicts, the United States had no armaments industry. American makers of plowshares could, with time and as required, make swords as well. But now we can no longer risk emergency improvisation of national defense; we have been compelled to create a permanent armaments industry of vast proportions. Added to this, three and a half million men and women are directly engaged in the defense establishment. We annually spend on military security more than the net income of all United States corporations.

This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence – economic, political, even spiritual – is felt in every city, every Statehouse, every office of the Federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications. Our toil, resources and livelihood are all involved; so is the very structure of our society.

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.

We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together.

·
Banned
3,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
New is Over-rated

This is news somehow, a book written in the 30's
New is over-rated. The Bible is not new, but it's the most important read out there.

As for General Butler's book, I'm just amazed that so many people here would criticise this man.

Why are there so many cheap shots by some you? You offer no information to educate us, you simply snipe from the safety of your anonymity.

1 - 20 of 209 Posts