Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Isn't that in part the Son's Of Liberty Flag..........

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
This is the flag that should be flying over my part of the world.

View attachment 397740
A lot of people think that is the Confederate Flag, but it is not. That is the Battle Flag of the Army of Tennessee and the second Confederate Naval Jack. The final approved version of the Confederate national flag, known as "The Blood-Stained Banner" is below:
Triangle Rectangle Font Cross Magenta

·
M.R. Ducks
19,363 Posts
If you notice, the Coast Guard flew the Civil flag prior to the '40's. Because the Coast Guard was non-military. A Coast Guard ship and crew could legally board a foreign flagged vessel without incident. A U.S Navy warship, flying the Battle Flag, would be an act of war.
Here's a Coast Guard vessel flying the good 'ol Stars and Stripes in 1935.
Boat Water Naval architecture Watercraft Sky

·
M.R. Ducks
19,363 Posts
I'm pretty sure the blogger got some things wrong. For instance:
Before 1940, no U.S. flag, civil or military, flew within the forty-eight states except in federal settings and installations.
Here you'll see a county courthouse depicted flying a US flag in the 1930s.

Here's another old photo of a courthouse. From the photo quality and the dress of the people out front, it looks like this one was taken before the 40s, too.

·
Super Moderator
2,979 Posts
The one on front is called the "Ensign" and depending on the time frame, varied. I believe that the Coast Guard now uses a variant of the Civil Flag as it's Ensign.

On a side note, when I was in the Navy ('75-'79) the official US Navy "Jack" (Ensign)
was a variation on the Gadsden Flag. I'll see if I can find a picture.....

Here you go;
Rectangle Flag of the united states Flag Font Line

16,754 Posts
16,754 Posts
A lot of people think that is the Confederate Flag, but it is not. That is the Battle Flag of the Army of Tennessee and the second Confederate Naval Jack. The final approved version of the Confederate national flag, known as "The Blood-Stained Banner" is below:
View attachment 397808
This was also the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia, as designed by William Porcher Miles and with the revision of a diagonal cross as submitted by James B. Walton.

It eventually became the battle flag for all the confederacy.

·
Registered
739 Posts
View attachment 397808
With all due respect, I believe you are mistaken. I think the flag you describe as the Battle Flag of the Army of Tennessee is Robert E. Lee's battle flag of Northern Virginia.

My understanding is that the original flags of the confederacy, The Stars and Bars (1861-1863), looked too much like the American Flag on the battle field.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
With all due respect, I believe you are mistaken. I think the flag you describe as the Battle Flag of the Army of Tennessee is Robert E. Lee's battle flag of Northern Virginia.

My understanding is that the original flags of the confederacy, The Stars and Bars (1861-1863), looked too much like the American Flag on the battle field.

Scroll down in that article to "Third flag: the "Blood-Stained Banner" (1865)"

·
Registered
739 Posts
Scroll down in that article to "Third flag: the "Blood-Stained Banner" (1865)"
You are correct on that flag. I was pointing out that the flag you identified as the Battle Flag of the Army of Tennessee is Robert E. Lee Battle Flag of Northern Virginia not Tennessee.

The really funny thing is that most people don't recognize the Stars and Bars Confederate Flag. Lots of people fly it around here and I don't think most liberal people know what it is.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The “US Civil Flag” is a myth. It’s based on the US Customs Services flag and other civil services flags. It’s just another rallying cry for conspiracy theorists to thump their chests about.

Here’s an article explaining it. The author went into a great deal of research explaining the situation that led to the invention of this supposed flag.

Historical Flags of Our Ancestors - The United States Civil Flag Myth

·
Padre in the woods
3,091 Posts
So in this flag debate, how does the blue lives matter flag, and variations of it play out? Such as a flag which was flown at a recent medical protest by hospital workers which had the white and red stripes, but the staff and serpent in place of the stars. I'm sure this is not an accepted flag, but merely decoration of sorts.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The US has only been at peace about 8% of the time since its inception, so a peacetime flag shouldn't get much use. It is easy to be surprised at that 8% statistic, because most of us only think of the big wars we get taught about in school. But the historical definition of war is "an armed conflict that claims over 1,000 lives in any given 12 month period."

I'm not complaining, but the US has pretty much continually been involved in armed conflicts throughout its history, fighting Native Americans, Mexicans and more recently, conflicts in the Middle East. We are almost always at war by the technical definition.
And there is a reason for that. Not that I agree.
For OP, never seen that Flag before.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts