Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
The US has only been at peace about 8% of the time since its inception, so a peacetime flag shouldn't get much use. It is easy to be surprised at that 8% statistic, because most of us only think of the big wars we get taught about in school. But the historical definition of war is "an armed conflict that claims over 1,000 lives in any given 12 month period."

I'm not complaining, but the US has pretty much continually been involved in armed conflicts throughout its history, fighting Native Americans, Mexicans and more recently, conflicts in the Middle East. We are almost always at war by the technical definition.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
This is the flag that should be flying over my part of the world.

View attachment 397740
A lot of people think that is the Confederate Flag, but it is not. That is the Battle Flag of the Army of Tennessee and the second Confederate Naval Jack. The final approved version of the Confederate national flag, known as "The Blood-Stained Banner" is below:
Triangle Rectangle Font Cross Magenta

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
With all due respect, I believe you are mistaken. I think the flag you describe as the Battle Flag of the Army of Tennessee is Robert E. Lee's battle flag of Northern Virginia.

My understanding is that the original flags of the confederacy, The Stars and Bars (1861-1863), looked too much like the American Flag on the battle field.

Scroll down in that article to "Third flag: the "Blood-Stained Banner" (1865)"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts